WeTek Community Forum

Proposal for the official team: Android TV OS + Wetv

wetek7wetek7 Posts: 131WeTek Community Member
After a time of use and having tried the ATV version of Ricardo, I open this thread to collect supports so that the team schedules an official ATV version that includes wetv, since Tvheadend in the version of ricardo takes too long loading buffer, which causes that live tv is not actually live tv (sports content), besides that I have not managed to make the antenna engine work with the version of ricardo.

Currently, Android Tv is more remote friendly and definetly is the environment that offers the balance that wetek buyers are looking for. It really is what makes the difference between a cheap android tv box and a receiver with wetek support.

I await comments from those who support this proposal.

Comments

• WinWizWinWiz Posts: 24WeTek Community Member
    Atv with wetv and Netflix 5.1 would be cool. But I'm guessing there a reason wetek haven't made this already.
  • DandroidDandroid Posts: 627WeTek Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Better compatibility with apps on tablet android.
    And atv ROM with mods to make it like tablet, rather than tablet mods to make it like atv, would be better.
  • LuisVSantosLuisVSantos Posts: 2WeTek Community Member
    Count me in!!!
  • wetek7wetek7 Posts: 131WeTek Community Member
    Dandroid said:

And atv ROM with mods to make it like tablet, rather than tablet mods to make it like atv, would be better.

Completely agree. The best combination with the best of the two OS.
  • wrxtasywrxtasy Posts: 1,221WeTek Community Member
    edited September 2017
    You guys are aware if you Telnet into the Play2 when running the ATV ROM and do this:

wm density 240

You will have the correct video scaling for tablet Android Apps usage.

Then simply use a Rotation locker App to make sure all Tablet Apps display in Portrait mode instead of Landscape.
  • mancio61mancio61 Posts: 121WeTek Community Member
    Dandroid said:

It's not a technical issue... it's a commercial one. Running ATV on a device is not free of charge like the mobile Android versions. The device manufacturers shall pay a fee to Google (I think so) for every sold device. Even if the fee should be small, it's always a fee.....
    From the apps perspective, a device manufacturer should only obtain advantages to run ATV instead of plain Android, also for the happiness of their Customers which want to use the device together with a TV, not with a touchscreen device....
    Plus you would very likely find to get actual Google Android TV certification the bootloader and Kernel would have to be compiled and locked down with SELinux - same as the AMLogic Xiaomi Mi Box.

Which means no Rooting possible and no LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

I'm not sure what you are saying? You are saying that using android TV over android tablet, costs the company money? I can't find anything about this online. If that's the case, then is Ricardo ROM legal... I'm not sure a fee exists.

The play 2 is not Google certified, so why would they be bothered about having android TV certification?
    wrxtasy said:

Plus you would very likely find to get actual Google Android TV certification the bootloader and Kernel would have to be compiled and locked down with SELinux - same as the AMLogic Xiaomi Mi Box.

Which means no Rooting possible and no LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

Do you mean That in Ricardo´s Rom is no rooting possible???.

Every day I am more convinced that releasing the wetv application so that the community can implement it in an ATV rom opens new horizons to the receiver and rejuvenates it making its useful life much longer with consequent commercial success
  • torontopaultorontopaul Posts: 87WeTek Community Member
    Whats ROM? Or ATV ROM?
    Whats difference between open elec and libreelec? Whichbis standard on my wetek core?
    What is firmware? I read online but dontbunderstand.
    What is ricardo atv?

I am trying understand OP suggestion. Also doesnt wetv already come on the devices? I have it on wetek core. Recently discovered.
    I believe the mecool m8s L has been released with an android OS and ATV hybrid ROM, so it can be done. It has normal launcher with ATV playstore for example.
  • AnimaAnima Posts: 1,940WeTek Support Team
    AndroidTV software needs to be certified to be able to be used legally.
    It is not a matter of choice, legal instances are at stake here.

Anima said:

They use official DRM that needs also to be certified. Otherwise, they can release an open wetv version in order to incorporate it to the Ricardos ATV rom.
  • ricardopvzricardopvz Posts: 467Developers
    @wetek7 DRM's have nothing to do with it.
    Common Android (for phones and tablets) don't need licensing from Google, only if the manufacturer wants to have Play Store.
    Android TV on the other hand, needs licensing from Google and it's more strict. Google doesn't give the license to anyone that requests it. There is some pre-requisites that I don't fully know to be honest.
    Also WeTv has nothing to do with it. It's just an app (and some other stuff), and it can run on Android TV (official or not). It was my choice to not put it into my ROM. But I will since many users want it.
  • barryocbarryoc Posts: 3WeTek Community Member
    My biggest problem with the Play 2 device is the poor remote control functionality. It stop me from recommending this device to my friends. The physical remote is antiquated technology poor navigation and a terrible pointer /mouse functionality. The web interface is adequate but you don't have pointer /mouse functionality so can't use it with native Android apps or play store. Also when you access a text box a keyboard should open.

So either move to Android TV where there is supported remote or create your own app for Android and iOS @ricardopvz
    edited October 2017
    barryoc said:

My biggest problem with the Play 2 device is the poor remote control functionality. It stop me from recommending this device to my friends. The physical remote is antiquated technology poor navigation and a terrible pointer /mouse functionality.

This is my biggest gripe as well by a mile. By far my biggest gripe now in 2017.
    WeTek are selling their devices at a premium to other AMLogic media players and they STILL cannot sell you an integrated Wireless Air mouse remote. MINIX for example had this stuff sorted out years ago.

Even worse is WeTek went backwards and had a pretty nice Wireless Air Mouse remote on the WeTek Core and then released the WeTek Hub with frankly the worst remote I've ever used on an AMLogic box - ever. :s

As an example - the Xiaomi Mi Box is not the best Kodi media player Box on the market - but jesus they have absolutely nailed it with their BT Wireless Voice remote. It simply is the best minimal Wireless remote currently on the market. I'm even using it for LibreELEC Kodi these days.

Same with the OSMC - Vero 4K a linux based Kodi Krypton only box. Comes with an excellent Mini Wireless remote that integrates perfectly with the device.

@wetek7 DRM's have nothing to do with it.
    Common Android (for phones and tablets) don't need licensing from Google, only if the manufacturer wants to have Play Store.
    Android TV on the other hand, needs licensing from Google and it's more strict. Google doesn't give the license to anyone that requests it. There is some pre-requisites that I don't fully know to be honest.
    Also WeTv has nothing to do with it. It's just an app (and some other stuff), and it can run on Android TV (official or not). It was my choice to not put it into my ROM. But I will since many users want it.

Waiting for your ATV Rom including Wetv, or WeOS including your improvements....
    Wetek don't like airmouse, because they want an ATV rom, and was obvious that's a the route they wanted when they removed the button clicks from original weOS 2.0 rom (they did add back this function by 2.01). And removed the status bar etc.

So wetek want it to work like an ATV rom... But don't want to pay? M8s pro L has a hybrid ROM, so a hybrid ROM is possible.
    I just across some other info on why there is no ATV rom from wetek, the specs in play 2 are not good enough, it does not play vp9, so it would not pass certification. This is the case for all s905 TV boxes.
  • RizwanRizwan Posts: 46WeTek Community Member
    Is there any app for android phone to use as WP2 remote ?
  • supermantorrassupermantorras Posts: 10WeTek Community Member
    Rizwan said:

Is there any app for android phone to use as WP2 remote ?

I use 'WEcontrol' but it keeps shutting down the app that i'm currently controling, every time i try to scroll with it.

• ThrallThrall Posts: 3,321WeTek Support Team
    @supermantorras Try Cetus Play.

Best Regards

@ricardopvz We all want your ATV ROM with WEtv, please make an effort !!!! Thanks
  • AnimaAnima Posts: 1,940WeTek Support Team
    Hello again.

I'm going to repeat myself here:
    Please understand that this is not a matter of choice. WeTek does not "do or don't do" things based on likeness. It isn't because we don't "like" that we don't launch AndroidTV.
    Legal issues are in place, and it takes time to get everything within the law.

And please understand also that Fully legal AndroidTV platform license, cannot be compared with a few community, hand-made/hybrid/hacked, whatever you want to call it, ROMs.

I understand you, but you have to know that without it the box has a lack of features so.... the comunity (thanks ricardo) can solve this problems. Nowadays we demand a totally funcional androidtv box with tv tunner working properly. Thats why we want ricardo to incluide weTV in his ATV ROM
  • XherpinXherpin Posts: 4WeTek Community Member
    null
    @ricardopvz please make the effort, we would appreciate it all ;)
  • JovicomJovicom Posts: 10WeTek Community Member
    yes @ricardopvz please make the effort, we would appreciate it all, i need and love your ATV Rom with WeTV.