WeTek Community Forum
Hi WeTek Fan! :)

Please check our WeTek Closed BETA program: http://www.wetekforums.com/v/discussion/31382/call-for-closed-beta-on-wetek-play-2?new=1

Thanks
MasterChief117

[BETA][5.0.2] Android TV (CM12 based) for WeTek Play

Comments

• mindfulmindful Posts: 2WeTek Community Member
    Re: [BETA][5.0.2] Android TV (CM12 based) for WeTek Play
    What do you mean with the keyboard does not work? Which keyboard? There are two of them, the AOSP keyboard (it's a white keyboard and it's a touch based keyboard so you can control it with the air mouse only) and the LeanBack keyboard (it's dark grey, aimed for a DPAD). BTW the AOSP one is there just because CM build system pulls it in but it's not really target for Android TV.

Hi CT, I have the same problem with the keyboard, it doesn't work.

The LeanBack keyboard is nor responding to ok button, I can use the dpad to change focus on letters, but can't select. I change to the AOSP keyboard and it doesn't even show, so the only keyboard that I can use is the one from wetek rcu.

BR,
  • ChristianTroyChristianTroy Posts: 1,913WeTek Community Member, Developers

Hi,
    to enable the aosp keyboard you have to enable the setting that will show it even if an hw keyboard is plugged in (because the airmouse is identified as a keyboard as well) in android input settings (the one accessible from sideload launcher), go to the keyboard selector and in the top of the popup window you'll find the setting I'm referring to.

The leanback keyboard has been fixed when I read that message (I had a funny feeling about that but I was waiting for some feedback because my remote is broken), in the meantime you can flash this zip on top of the latest build: https://mega.co.nz/#!hpxm2JjL!J2iJiy6Y5 ... NwSIfyLt9o

Btw I'm not 100% sure that aosp keyboard will show on native android tv apps so it's better if you defaukt to the leanback, after flashing that zip. If you use an hw keyboard you can select the aosp, disable the option to always show it that i mentioned so it won't be shown wasting space (the leanback one is always shown)

* ROM 2015-01-05

Some minor changes and three relevant:
    - replaced CM's Superuser with SuperSU (the new superuser that has recently been committed doesn't work with this kernel that doesn't have SELinux enabled), the first time you will run supersu app (if ever...) a notification will tell you to update su binary, all the files are updated but, again, because of the lack of SELinux it will drive SuperSU a little bit crazy, just let it update the su binary in the normal way and it won't bother anymore
    - added an exception to not detect the airmouse as an hw keyboard so the aosp ime will popup (if you have an hw keyboard it won't show unless you force it from language & input settings, leanback keyboard will always popup btw)
    - remapped the key layout of the airmouse so now you will be able to select letters using leanback keyboard
  • jondmacjondmac Posts: 4WeTek Community Member

Hi im about to buy wetek play and would like to know if live tv is working in Android tv, or is gong to work any time soon?
    I know that there is released a tv app by Google for Android tv wich is now in play store. Is it posible to use that app with live sat tv and epg?
    Also it would be great to know if Chrome cant is working on the device.

Thanks.
  • Re: [BETA][5.0.2] Android TV (CM12 based) for WeTek Play
    jondmac wrote:
    Hi im about to buy wetek play and would like to know if live tv is working in Android tv, or is gong to work any time soon?
    I know that there is released a tv app by Google for Android tv wich is now in play store. Is it posible to use that app with live sat tv and epg?
    Also it would be great to know if Chrome cant is working on the device.

Thanks.

Hi jondmac,

Thank you for registering to our forum, we are glad to hear that you are interested in WeTek Play.
    To answer your question, Yes you will be able to watch live TV on our Android TV platform using the included WeTek Theater app.
    As for the TV app by Google you will need to send me some link so that I can give you more info.

Best regards.

Casting will never work because Google has locked down the app (through one of the updates of the Google Play Services), prior to that any device could be used to act as a Chromecast; now only Chromecast and Nexus Player are able to do that because it authenticates using certificates that are signed using private keys stored in the bootloader of those two Nexus devices (honestly I don't know why Google did such thing, as long as people is using Android with their services they should be happy :roll: ), afaik this change has screwed up the ADT-1 as well (and it's a Google device, even if it's never been sold and just given to some devs during a conference)

Live TV on the other hands works like a charm, now there's the WeTek Theater app in Android TV's "drawer" and you don't have to launch it through sideload launcher

Hi here is the link to the Live Channels for Android TV released by google: article: http://thenextweb.com/google/2014/12/10 ... ndroid-tv/
    play link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... DWidgetWeb

Thanks.

I know live tv is working in the theatre app but does it also work in the google live channel tv app?

Thanks.

As really first thing, I'm not able to find in the store that app (and trying to send it to the device from the web version of the play store, says that any device is available, like "Katniss" app that practically is Google Now for Android TV but it can't be updated outside USA, I'm using the one from ADT-1 factory image btw), maybe it's a regional restriction and it's only available to USA.

This is just my speculation but probably that app will rely on android.media.tv class (it's a showcase for the new API), the WeTek Play has not support for those API.

What I can tell you is that apart from the Window (Phone) 8 UI that is present pretty much everywhere in Android TV (tiles anyone 8-) ), WeTek Theater is much superior from what I can see from these screenshots (and in constant development, I would be surprised if any feature will be added to that app, it's just a showcase for the API, I might be wrong but in these years I've start knowing Google).
  • tdw197tdw197 Posts: 356WeTek Community Member

Hi, just installed this - great work thanks very much

I have one small problem.. I've flashed and gone through the first boot, then signed into google (which worked), the screen has now gone black and stayed like that! It doesn't appear to be doing anything, is this normal for the first boot?

Edit - never mind, fixed it with an 'off and on again' :)

One suggestion, if possible, in a similar way to how you fixed wetek theatre app tot he adroid tv menu, could you do the same for kodi? I would imagine the vast amount of wetek users will be using kodi daily.

Edit - never mind again, i see after sideloading it fixes itself there :)

kodi 14.0 has a problem with "mx" (the dual core) amlogic soc, it zooms in the video if the device is set to 1080p, no problem if it's set at 720p, there's a ticket (still opened?) on xbmc's github regarding that
    kodi 14.0 has a problem with "mx" (the dual core) amlogic soc, it zooms in the video if the device is set to 1080p, no problem if it's set at 720p, there's a ticket (still opened?) on xbmc's github regarding that

That's fixed in Kodi 14.1 RC (using it right now, and its very good).

However.... now you mentioned this i just tried wetek theater and it has this problem, its not there in official wetek play android though

I've been using WeTek Theater on a daily basis and it never happened, maybe it's triggered by Kodi? Try to reboot and using the theater and see if it happens

edit: damn it's starting doing on my side as well, that's incredible since I have been using the theater pretty much all the time to test some stuff :shock: will have to investigate into it :shock:
    I've been using WeTek Theater on a daily basis and it never happened, maybe it's triggered by Kodi? Try to reboot and using the theater and see if it happens

edit: damn it's starting doing on my side as well, that's incredible since I have been using the theater pretty much all the time to test some stuff :shock: will have to investigate into it :shock:

Sorry! Just trying a reboot now.

There's something weird with the kodi passthrough audio settings too (happens in xbmc on official build too), where it seems work first time and then outputs horrible static any time after, it doesn't do it in OpenElec. Very odd.

All in all though, this build seems soooo much better than the official wetek android - its faster, kodi runs much smoother, the interface is much nicer - its very very good!

Done a bit more testing, it seems the first channel on starting wetek theater from cold always works fine. Any channel subsequently tuned (including going back to first channel) always does the weird screen thing. Fully exiting wetek theater then going back in results in the first channel showing correctly,

HTH

I tracked down the zooming in thing in WeTek Theater, it happens when a new dialog is created (channel list, epg, etc), I'm working with the guys developing the app to find a solution.
    I think it might be cause by the mali libraries that are too old for Lollipop, trying a few workarounds in a new rom that is currently building to see if it's caused by that

Hmm, spoke to soon on kodi, after a reboot video and audio stutters. A real shame as it was working perfectly after install :(

if audio and video stutters you're playing in sw mode, I'd keep using Gotham 13.2 that is working very good on Android/Amlogic

edit: consider that play store might be doing some upgrades behind the scenes (it's a first install so some apps will probabky be updated) and if it starts lagging with no reason it might be because of that, you can see with some third party app the cpu consumption (in that case both cores are maxed out)
    if audio and video stutters you're playing in sw mode, I'd keep using Gotham 13.2 that is working very good on Android/Amlogic

edit: consider that play store might be doing some upgrades behind the scenes (it's a first install so some apps will probabky be updated) and if it starts lagging with no reason it might be because of that, you can see with some third party app the cpu consumption (in that case both cores are maxed out)

I've done a reinstall of kodi and it seems ok atm, passthrough working too.

Still not 100% Kodi have fixed the frame buffer issue for 1080p playback, but so far its looking good.

Thanks for all your help, can't reiterate enough how good this build is :)