WeTek Community Forum
Hi WeTek Fan! :)

Please check our WeTek Closed BETA program: http://www.wetekforums.com/v/discussion/31382/call-for-closed-beta-on-wetek-play-2?new=1

Thanks
MasterChief117

[BETA][5.0.2] Android TV (CM12 based) for WeTek Play

Comments

• ChristianTroyChristianTroy Posts: 1,913WeTek Community Member, Developers
    Re: [BETA][5.0.2] Android TV (CM12 based) for WeTek Play

the sdcard has to be formatted in fat format for being recognized by the recovery, probably you're using exfat or ntfs
  • myllemylle Posts: 12WeTek Community Member

Tried both fat and fat32. Also, how would it be able to boot the recovery.img otherwise?
  • Re: [BETA][5.0.2] Android TV (CM12 based) for WeTek Play
    mylle wrote:
    Tried both fat and fat32. Also, how would it be able to boot the recovery.img otherwise?
    Please follow the instructions in the first post.
    To boot into recovery mode please press and hold the upgrade button on the bottom of the device.
    After you see the first screen release the button.

You can also use a USB flash drive.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Thats exactly what i did, but i still have to have the twrp recovery.img on sd sdcard. right? It boots up fine into recovery but from here I am not able to install a new image because the recovery cannot find anything on the sdcard.
    mylle wrote:
    Thats exactly what i did, but i still have to have the twrp recovery.img on sd sdcard. right? It boots up fine into recovery but from here I am not able to install a new image because the recovery cannot find anything on the sdcard.
    Please remove the recovery.img from SD card and use the twrp zip file and install it like you would install a ROM. After that reboot again into recovery by pressing the upgrade button on the bottom of the WeTek Play, then you will boot into TWRP and then install the new ROM.

Anyway I strongly suggest you to use CWM... Using TWRP with the airmouse is cumbersome and CWM has been tested much more (being my regular recovery which might have flashed my Play at least 1k times, TWRP has just been tried to see if it was working, but I immediately stopped using it because It took me 2 minutes just to select the file to flash :lol: )

OK. thanks. I guess the 1gb sdcard i have is no good in the wetek. I can boot recovery of it just fine and i can read the contents fine on a pc but the wetek cannot mount the Card. I have another 8gb that im using for openelec. That works fine and also found out that i can upgrade from usb.

/Jacob

You know what? Officially you can't format FAT32 partitions bigger than 32GB, that's why SD bigger than that are sold ExFat formatted, maybe this leads into some issue. I suggest you to try to format it back to ExFat (supported on WeTek OS and on CM) and let me know if you're able to use it. For recovery stuff just use a smaller one ;)

Are you sure you read this right?

The 1GB card does not work. The 8GBcard does.

Oh ****, I don't know how but I read 128GB card :D
  • tritontriton Posts: 11WeTek Community Member

Hi CT!

I haven't received my WeTek Play yet, but will use your roms for Android TV development and tests, as the Nexus Player is still not available in Europe atm. Just wanted to say thanks for your efforts regarding Android TV! :)

You're welcome, hope you enjoy it even if all the Lollipop builds run slower than Kitkat's, ART is too heavy for the MX ;)

test message

hi!

setup went super smooth...but now i'm stuck, because i have absolutely no idea how i could get any apk to the wetek play :oops:

unlike on mobile phones or tablets there is no micro usb port for adb. adb over tcp/ip is disabled by default and can only be enabled with a usb connection afaik. the file manager that is listed under sideload launcher cannot access an usb stick and finally the sd card isn't recognized as external storage :(

any idea what i could try? maybe i overlooked something...

thanks and greetings

If I can recall right there should be an option for adb over tcpip in the developer settings.

thanks for your response!

you are absolutely right about the option for tablets and phones! but there is no such setting in the android tv development options. however i remembered CT put the regular android settings under sideloader apps, so i could enable adb & adb over tcp/ip. now i was even able to connect to the wetek play over tcp/ip via adb. but unfortunately before you can actually really do anything an initial handshake between the 2 devices must be made over usb. right now i only get the message:
    c:\ProgramData\Android\sdk\platform-tools>adb install app-debug.apk
    error: device unauthorized. Please check the confirmation dialog on your device.

- waiting for device -

but no such dialog appears on android tv :roll:

not sure if there is a workaround...

The authorization should pop-up on Android TV as well (I use adb over network all the time and don't need to disable adb secure), anyway unrar this file and put the kernel.img on a microsd card and reboot, it will boot with a ramdisk where "ro.secure" and "ro.adb.secure" are disabled so you'll get a # prompt without access confirmation (note: this img is valid for "cm-12-20150115-UNOFFICIAL-playatv.zip" build).

Remember to remove that kernel.img from the microsd card if you switch rom or you'll boot with the wrong boot image ;)

BTW, if you just wanna sideload an APK you can put it on a storage (microsd, usb disk) and install it from CM File Manager that you can access from Sideload launcher. The file manager can access to it but have a look that I use 3 different mount points, one per each usb port so you can mount up to three drives at the same time.
    # Back lower
    /devices/lm1/usb2/2-1/2-1.2/2-1.2:1.0*               auto    auto    defaults        voldmanaged=usbdisk0:auto
    # Back upper
    /devices/lm1/usb2/2-1/2-1.4/2-1.4:1.0*               auto    auto    defaults        voldmanaged=usbdisk1:auto
    # Side
    /devices/lm0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0*                       auto    auto    defaults        voldmanaged=usbdisk2:auto

PS: let's see what will happen with Google TV, after almost 2 months the Store is still empty, it might be another Google-glass-like project?

Thanks CT...will try that. I tried to access the sd card and usb stick via the cm file explorer, but only the local filesystem was available. But I will check it again this evening. Maybe i overlooked something...

And yeah...I'm also surprised how empty the app store still is :? But since TV manufactures just start to release TVs with Android TV this year and the nexus player is only available in the u.s. im still optimistic about it ;) but sure...it's a long road from this point for the android tv platform :lol:

PS: Google TV is the predecessor platform that already failed badly ;)

Mmmm, you have to swipe from the left edge to the right to bring up a menu that allows you to select the various mount points, you can't only go up in the folder hierarchy

ok...that explains everything ;)

i haven't tried to swipe, but already wondered why no menu appeared when i pushed the menu button in the top left corner. i was trying to navigate with the remote and its mouse function... i think it might be easier with a real keyboard/mouse combination :lol: