Wetek Launcher support for Android TV Apps

ssh_error
ssh_error
I am a big fan of the Wetek Launcher, but I wish you could add Android TV only apps as a favourite.

At present, I can only run these Android TV only apps (e.g., Rai.tv for Android TV) via the Settings > Apps > Downloaded apps menu.

Is this something that is possible to implement in the Wetek Launcher?

Comments

• Anima
    Anima
    WeTek Support Team Posts: 1,551
    Hello @ssh_error

You can change the apps on your wetek launcher.
    On the 5 bigger buttons (top ones) just long press the OK button and a list will appear.

The small buttons (bottom ones) enter the app drawer, put the cursor over the desired app and click the * button, and it should appear on the launcher.

Best regards

• ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Developer Posts: 1,906
    I know what you mean and I already had some idea for that.
    It's scheduled for the next OTA, long pressing on the app drawer icon will show the apps that have a leanback launch action

• ssh_error
    ssh_error
    Junior Member Posts: 82

I know what you mean and I already had some idea for that.
    It's scheduled for the next OTA, long pressing on the app drawer icon will show the apps that have a leanback launch action

Looking forward to the next OTA!

It would be good if you could add the apps that had a leanback launch action as favourites though; that would make the Wetek Launcher perfect!
  • JJ-KwiK
    JJ-KwiK
    Junior Member Posts: 243 edited March 2016
    Sounds like an awesome update.

Question 1 - Once the list of apps that have the leanback launcher activity is shown, will the app we choose to launch be launched in tv mode?

Ex. TuneIn. If launched from the standard apps menu, will display the tablet version of the app. If launched from settings/apps/downloaded apps, it will launch the TV mode version of the app.

Question 2 - Will we be able to favorite the apps that only have leanback intent to the home screen of the launcher?

Ex. Crackle for Android tv doesn't have a regular launcher intent, so it will only be displayed by long clicking the apps drawer icon with the new update. Can this version of Crackle be favorited to the home screen of the launcher?

Thanks again for your work.
  • ssh_error
    ssh_error
    Junior Member Posts: 82 edited March 2016
    JJ-KwiK said:

Question 2 - Will we be able to favorite the apps that only have leanback intent to the home screen of the launcher?

Ex. Crackle for Android tv doesn't have a regular launcher intent, so it will only be displayed by long clicking the apps drawer icon with the new update. Can this version of Crackle be favorites to the home screen of the launcher?

This is exactly what I was trying to get at with my original post! Thanks for expressing it better than I ever could @JJ-KwiK !

• ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    That is exactly what it does, for having them added as favourite app it will require some re-work of how the favourites are currently handled, I don't make any promise, I will try though.

Basically now long pressing the drawer will show a list of apps that can be launched as "leanback" (some have just the action added for android tv launcher compatibility and are the same accross regular/leanback, but some like TuneIn start in two different versions)
  • ssh_error
    ssh_error

That is exactly what it does, for having them added as favourite app it will require some re-work of how the favourites are currently handled, I don't make any promise, I will try though.

Thanks @ChristianTroy ! It'd be awesome if you can get this to work!

• ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Done, you will be a ble to add a favourite from the "leanback drawer" but you won't be able to add both leanback and regular version, just one of them but I think it's more than enough lol
  • JJ-KwiK
    JJ-KwiK
    Junior Member Posts: 243 edited March 2016
    That's great man. Thanks!!!
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    ;)

@ssh_error got a link to the rai atv apk maybe? :P
  • ssh_error
    ssh_error
    I'll upload it when I get home from work.

I should tell you that the Rai ATV doesn't seem to play in HD like the Kodi Rai addon.
  • ssh_error
    ssh_error
    Junior Member Posts: 82
    @ChristianTroy any chance of making the new launcher available before the next OTA?
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Just be a bit patient, the new OTA will bring up some very cool things (anticipated by wrxtasy in another thread)
  • scasaleiro
    scasaleiro
    Junior Member Posts: 43
    Is this launcher going forward? Will it make android tv apps work (like the google app for android tv)?
    Sorry i have very little knowledge of this :/

Keep up the good work, i'm loving my core :D
  • JJ-KwiK
    JJ-KwiK
    Junior Member Posts: 243
    Its not going to make apps that do not work, work. It's going to give you accessibility to apps that have leanback launcher intent in the manifest.

Some android tv apps only have leanback intent, and don't show up in the regular app drawer. This is just a nifty work-around to give you access to the leanback apps without needing to go to settings/apps/find app/launch.

Some android tv apps just don't work. Sorry man.