WeTek Community Forum

[Tutorial] How to Modify Android TV and FireOS Apps to Work with Regular Android

JJ-KwiKJJ-KwiK Posts: 265WeTek Community Member
edited July 2016 in Guides and Customization

Common issues - The approach to fixing the issue varies based in the problem. The issues aren’t mutually-exclusive. An app can have more than one problem.
1- The app doesn't display in the regular launcher.
2- The app doesn't have a regular icon, and only a banner.
3- The app houses both, the regular and leanback, versions of the app within the apk. When launched, the app detects the launcher that's starting it, and opens the proper version of the app.

Notes:
- APKs for Android TV can be found HERE.
- If you have used this guide to, “fix”, an apk, please post it in THIS THREAD.

Downloads (Only one is needed):
APKTool - https://ibotpeaches.github.io/Apktool/
APK Icon Editor - http://kefir500.github.io/apk-icon-editor/download/
APK Icon Editor Notes:
- Remember to switch the "Current Mode" from ZIP to APK Tool
- Device: Android Default
- Before decompiling any APK, go to, Settings/Repacking and make sure the following is checked off.
| - > Use APK Tool Repacking
| - > Decompile Classes.dex
| - > Sign APK
| - > Optimize APK
- It has a GUI to change the icon of an app, but if you select File/Explore APK content, you have access to the entire decompiled apk.

Problem 1: The Android TV app doesn’t have regular launcher intent.
- Unpack the apk (I use apk icon editor - select File/Explore APK content, you have access to the entire decompiled apk)
- Open the manifest
- Change leanback required dependancy to false
- Change the intent from launcher_leanback to just launcher
(If you want the app to have both regular and leanback intent, copy the leanback intent and paste it directly below the copied text. Remember to remove the _LAUNCHER from the pasted intent)
- Repack the apk

Problem 2: The Android TV app doesn't have a regular icon.
- Unpack the apk (I use apk icon editor - select File/Explore APK content, you have access to the entire decompiled apk)
- Open the manifest
- Ctrl F to find, android:banner
- Right under the android:banner line, add a new line, android:icon="@drawable/icon".
- Navigate to res/drawable and place your icon.png in the folder(s)
Note: the icon.png file should be 96x96 pixels
- Repack the apk

Problem 3: The app houses both, the regular and leanback, versions of the app within the one apk.
Coming soon

Comments

• MC117MC117 Posts: 3,707Administrator - WeTek Community Manager
    Great! Awesome!

Thank you @JJ-KwiK

Best regards

• sandogsandog Posts: 38WeTek Community Member
    once the apps are modded will they work on any android box
  • JJ-KwiKJJ-KwiK Posts: 265WeTek Community Member
    edited August 2016
    @sandog - Most work fine with other android boxes. Keep in mind, if you try to modify an app that uses an sdk above your boxes O/S version, it probably won't work. I.E. Modifying an app that requires Android M, then installing it on a box that has Android L.
  • MicaH_ZMicaH_Z Posts: 3WeTek Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Is there any way you can give a more detailed instruction for us newbees? I'm trying to mod the latest netflix ninja app (3.1.2b1323). I can open the manifest file but am unsure as to how to proceed from here. There's this line:

<uses-feature android:name="android.software.leanback"/>

Since there is no android:required="true" bit in this line, can I assume that leanback is not required?

Also, the intent section shows these lines:

<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN"/>
    <category android:name="android.intent.category.LEANBACK_LAUNCHER"/>
    <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER"/>

Does this mean I'm facing Problem 3 where both versions are in this apk? If so : How do I proceed?

Regards,

MicaH
  • JJ-KwiKJJ-KwiK Posts: 265WeTek Community Member
    @MicaH_Z - The Netflix android tv app is a little more complicated.

Read my post, then the response from @mattk926 if you are interested in modding the newer versions of Netflix. http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/37106/#Comment_37106