WeTek Community Forum

What do I do with this thing?

supertruckersupertrucker Posts: 6WeTek Community Member
I guess I'm lost. I got it in the mail yesterday. Haven't tried much yet.

Comments

• PacM8PacM8 Posts: 20WeTek Community Member

I guess I'm lost. I got it in the mail yesterday. Haven't tried much yet.

Please be more specific :smile:
  • NedScottNedScott Posts: 1,123WeTek Community Member
    An odd question, but I'll bite:

I think most people use their boxes as media/video players. You can use local video files with Kodi, Plex, Emby, VLC, or use streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, SlingTV, etc.

You can also use any WeTek box as an awesome emulation machine with various game emulators, like SNES, NES, Master System, GameBoy, Atarti, and so on. There are various inexpensive Bluetooth and USB gamepads that work out-of-the-box on Android.

You could plug a WeTek box into an unused display/TV and use it as an always on dashboard/calendar/status monitor. You could even that that up as the screensaver, so you can still use the box for other things.

You could use it to host an always-on minecraft server. You could even host and play at the same time.

Use it to display recipes in the kitchen. Or drink mixes.

Load up the tablet version of Google Docs with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and do some light work using any TV set. You can even do some light web browsing and other things.

Load up a VNC or RDP client and use it as a thin client for a full blown PC.

Use Moonlight to do the same thing, but with games hosted on a PC with an Nvidia GPU.

Connect a USB camera and use it for Skype on your TV.

Hang a TV around your neck long-ways, and pretend to be a giant tablet as a costume. (Requires really large battery pack....)

Use it to control smart lights and security cameras in your home. You can even use a USB camera to turn it into a security camera that you can see from your phone, no matter where you are.

Giant picture frame/fake window on your TV. You can even set inspirational background music. Or a fake fire place on your TV.

Get a USB mic with a long USB cord, load up a karaoke app, and sing your heart out. (This actually works pretty well)

Headless music player. That is, it can work as a music player even without a TV. You just use something like a smartphone to control it.

And a lot more.

former WeTek Support team member, now just a friendly volunteer.
  • supertruckersupertrucker Posts: 6WeTek Community Member
    I got an NAS to store whatever movies. Guess I'm confused how to make it all work together? I'd like to watch live TV too, but wasn't sure how.
  • NedScottNedScott Posts: 1,123WeTek Community Member
    Kodi (or WeTek Media Player) is what you want. WMP has some WeTek-specific fixes, so use that one, but the instructions are the same: http://kodi.wiki/view/First_time_user

former WeTek Support team member, now just a friendly volunteer.