Netflix Refuses to connect - Play 2

calris
calris
edited September 2016 in Android Apps
I have just bought a Play 2 and have managed to install Spotify (works 100% perfect) and connect to my NAS via SMB and KODI works perfectly

But Netflix simply REFUSES to work. Every time I try it (almost) always gives a -200 error. I initially had the device hardwired on my network, then changed to WiFi and for a couple of attempts if gave me a -3 error

- I've rebooted the device
- I've updated the firmware
- I've force stopped Netflix, Cleared Data, and Cleared Cache
- The username/password work on another PC which is on the network

Netflix suggests going into Menu->About->Diagnostics->Network... this sounds like a great idea, except I can't get into the 'menu' - What I would _THINK_ is the menu button on the remote (three horizontal lines), doesn't appear to be a menu button at all.

TL;DR - How do I get Netflix to work?

Comments

• calris
    calris
    More info - The Telstra TV (Roku) device connects PERFECTLY - So that's a PC and another media player that can connect. It's NOT a network problem
  • calris
    calris
    edited September 2016
    Another test failed - I thought it might have been that we were using my partners Netflix account on my Google account that was the issue. So I downloaded Netflix onto my phone and got her to login to her Netflix. Guess what? Yep - worked first go...

Things are not looking good for the Wetek Play2...
  • Anima
    Anima
    WeTek Support Team Posts: 1,568
    Hello

Honestly never had this happening to me.

I take it you're using the regular android app. to navigate to the menu, you need to use the mouse, and go to edge of the screen.

Try using the Tv friendly version our community has made for wetek:
    http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/27564/android-tv-app-mods-leanback-and-fireos-remote-friendly-apps-modified-to-work-on-regular-android/p1

And see if the problem is still present (remove the current app before installing this one)

Best regards

• calris
    calris
    Hi Anima,

I tried the two versions of the TV Friendly versionof Netflix from the link you provided.

With both, I'm getting Netflix Error ui-800-3 and NW-2-5. If I go into 'More Details' I get a ui-113 error. But if I then select 'Check your network' I get four green ticks. Going back it reverts to ui-800-3

I've tried wireless and wired connections.

I've restarted the Wetek Play2

I've restarted the modem/router

btw, if it helps, I'm more than competent to remote into the device and get any logs, etc. that might help. I'm also half thinking of installing a second network card in my PC and doing some traffic logs using Wireshark if that would help... I purchased the Play 2 as it is one of the few devices that supports Netflix HD - I really would prefer to get it working.
  • wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 898 edited September 2016
    Suggestion:
    Hold down the middle remote button when hovering over the regular Netflix Google Play App and clear all cache's and actually remove (de-install) that App.

Do the same for the tweaked Android TV App, but leave it installed. Reboot the Play2

You cannot have more than 1 Netflix App installed at the same time.
    Check also you have not inadvertently activated WiFi Spoofing (Simulated WiFi) in the Android Network settings ?
  • Bodycount
    Bodycount
    wrxtasy said:

You cannot have more than 1 Netflix App installed at the same time.
    Check also you have not inadvertently activated WiFi Spoofing (Simulated WiFi) in the Android Network settings ?

Actually you can. I have the normal netflix app and the Gear VR netflix app both installed on my phone and both work fine.
  • wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 898
    Stop confusing the issue. Your phone is irrelevant to a discussion about WeTek devices and Netflix.
  • calris
    calris
    edited October 2016
    OK, sorry for the break in communication, but here's an update on the situation (Netflix still doesn't play)...

- I've never had any two versions of the Netflix app installed. Every time I've tried a new version, I've cleared data, cleared cache, cleared defaults, uninstalled, then installed the next version
    - I've tried the Play Store version off the Netflix app as well as the 3.1.1 and 2.5 versions of the 'patched' versions of the app
    - I started noticing some issues with my internet connection in my PC. First I noticed I couldn't reliably connect to the Kodi forums - I kept getting a 'Connection has been reset' error. I also couldn't connect to the Oz Broadband Speed Test page. I was going to run a Wireshark test but couldn't connect to the wireshark website.
    - I was using a Telstra Technicolor TG799vac. I switched it out for a TG797n and all the connection problems I was having disappeared
    - NOTE: Even with the old router, all the other devices on the network could connect to, and play, Netflix
    - I'm currently getting 575KB/s (and that's while I'm simultaneously downloading a massive Fedora update on my PC, and Spotify in the Play2) so in reality I'm running a lot faster than that)
    - I've tried to connect to Netflix via WiFi hot spot using both Telstra and Optus networks (the phones can connect and play Netflix via the mobile phone network) - No option would allow the Play2 to connect to Netflix

I can configure my Linux PC to route the Play2 via it so I can run some packet captures with Wireshark if anyone thinks that will help diagnose the problem
  • engikid
    engikid
    @calris , did you installed the fix after the 1.3 update?
  • calris
    calris
    edited October 2016
    engikid said:

Which 'fix' is that? I've tried all three versions (Play Store and the two side loaded versions) since updating the firmware to no avail

EDIT: I noticed that 1.3 was only released last week - I'll update the firmware and give it another go
  • engikid
    engikid
    calris said:

engikid said:

Which 'fix' is that? I've tried all three versions (Play Store and the two side loaded versions) since updating the firmware to no avail

EDIT: I noticed that 1.3 was only released last week - I'll update the firmware and give it another go
    After you update, you may need to update-manualy your wetek to fix streaming problems. You will need to download this, put it into a usb, go to WeUpdate app and do a local update:

https://mega.nz/#!ggQX1BTR!yZbrzoA7-BGJmHWX17tr28prsIZKyb6r9aNrrkDaAlM
  • Thrall
    Thrall
    Hi @calris yes we are aware that the OTA 1.3 has some problems with streaming apps,
    as @engikid stated above, this link:
    https://mega.nz/#!ggQX1BTR!yZbrzoA7-BGJmHWX17tr28prsIZKyb6r9aNrrkDaAlM can fix that problem. You just need to copy the file to SDcard, go to update app and manually update your play 2 choosing local update.

Best Regards

• calris
    calris
    I've updated to 1.3 and applied the patch - Netflix still does not work (with or without the 1.3 patch)

Just to re--iterate, Netflix has never worked on my Play2 (all versions of firmware, all version of the Netflix app - play store or side-loaded, wired Ethernet or WiFi). Netflix works on every other device on my network (I mainly use a Telstra/Ruku box just for Netflix). I haven't tried any other video streaming services, but Spotify (music streaming) works perfectly on the Play2.

Are there any logs I can get of the Play2 that might help?
  • Thrall
    Thrall
    edited October 2016
    Hello @calris

Updating for WeOS 1.3 did in fact brought up a streaming problem.

If it was not working before the update then some thing must have been not properly set up or missing.
    Because we had 2 working versions, Regular and leanback. With the occasional problem, but never stayed too long without working.

I would recommend manually downgrading to WeOS 1.2using this file: https://mega.nz/#!4ll3UBIC!JF35T4keVFIkrREuS7PHLxVDEzUobmxHtb7zJw5Bvus

Copy it into a mSDcard
    And using the WE.Update application via local.
    Factory reset it and try again.

Best regards

• calris
    calris
    edited October 2016
    Hi @Thrall,

I've already tried all three versions of the Netflix app under WeOS 1.2 - as I said before, no version of the Netflix app has worked under any version of WeOS
  • MasterChief117
    MasterChief117
    Administrator Posts: 3,612
    Hi

Please contact the WeTek Support at www.wetek.com/support

I'll ask my colleagues to call back the device so we can check it directly

Best regards

• calris
    calris
    @MasterChief117 - I've already opened up a support ticket (15287)
  • MasterChief117
    MasterChief117
    Administrator Posts: 3,612
    Tomorrow morning I'll take a look :)

Best regards

• wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 898 edited October 2016
    @calris

Suggestion, download the DRM Info App from here: (not sure if its installed already on Play2)
    http://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.androidfung.drminfo/

If you see this - under the Google Widevine heading...
    "HDCP Level: HDCP 1.x Unprotected."

Then Netflix will not work.

Questions.
    1) Are you using a 4K TV with HDMI 2.0 ports ?
    2) If that is the case - are there any HDCP 2.2 labels next to the HDMI 2.0 ports ?

• calris
    calris
    I've been a bit busy lately, so haven't had a chance to look at this until now. I installed 1.4 last night - still no netflix.

I doubt the TV I'm connecting to has HDCP - It's a fairly old 720p LCD TV (looking to upgrade once the media room is built). But if this is the issue, why would Netflix be happy to run right up until it tries to connect to Netflix servers?