[ROM] [WeOS 1.0.2 BASED] Android TV v1.0

ricardopvz
ricardopvz
edited November 2016 in WeTek Builds/ROMs/Updates

WARNING!!!
This is a Custom ROM,
it is not officially supported by WeTek nor Google.
If something bad happens, nor me nor WeTek is responsible and you will probably loose your warranty!

That being said, I've been running this without any problems and this box is very easy to unbrick.

Android TV for WeTek Hub

Features:
  • HD Audio passthrough is working for Android apps like Netflix, Plex and others (see the audio passthrough note below)
  • 5.1 audio in Netflix
  • Custom Live Channels app (aka TV)
    • Ability to choose source independently
  • Voice search works with usb mic's and the Android TV remote app (Android, iOS)
  • SPMC included in favor of WePlayer
  • Web interface is on port 8181 to not interfere with SPMC Android TV integration (check more about that here)
  • WeTek Core Remote works out of the box, including the mic
  • Sideload Launcher included
  • Power button on the bottom of the launcher
  • Can start apps on boot
  • Supports USB microphones
Not working:
  • Google Cast (and probably never will)

Audio Passthrough (this only applies to normal android apps, not Kodi which already has HD Audio passthrough even in stock ROM):
In HDMI mode, it works with AC3, DTS, EAC3 (untested), DTS-HD gets downgraded to DTS because I don't have a compatible receiver to test. More DTS type formats may be supported but will be downgraded to DTS because Android doesn't support them.

Screenshots:

Changelog:
v1.0
- Initial release

Download: https://mega.nz/#F!A55jURJZ!Q8K8Tg0ZFgqV4vICeT3qNg
Download the zip, put in an sdcard, go to recovery and flash it.
Dual boot will still work
First boot will take some time, do not worry

If you come from the stock ROM, make a factory reset in the recovery before flashing or you may have problems

Recommended: Android TV Remote app (Android, iOS)

Donations: Paypal

Thanks to:
@wrxtasy for extensive testing, features suggestions on the Play 2 ROM (which is basically the same as this one)
@ChristianTroy for helping me the the audio input department (usb mic and remote app mic) and providing the binaries

Comments

• MasterChief117
    MasterChief117
    Administrator Posts: 3,617
    ;)

Best regards

• wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 927 edited November 2016
    To Enter Android Recovery:
    • Android Main Screen > Bottom Left set of icons > Select power > Reboot > make sure Recovery is Selected > OK
    • Remember to do a Factory Reset before installing this ROM. I also Wipe Cache's just for the heck of it.
    • Then install this ATV OS ROM.zip file on that same Recovery screen, from a SD card or USB Stick (udisk)
    After installing the ATV OS ROM.zip, and rebooting.
    It will take approximately 4-5 minutes until the first Configuration screen appears. Just be patient.

ATV OS Home Screen Tips:
    • Long press the remote's middle (OK) button over any App Icon to enter the ATV's icon editing function.
    • App positions can then be rearranged and some non system Apps even deleted from here.
    • Android Settings > Home Screen > can be use to rearrange and also Hide App Recommendations that display on the Home Screen.

Koying's SPMC (Kodi fork) with Google Voice Search integration:
    • Scrape your media library & when complete simply voice search for a Movie Title, Actor, Director etc... (long press the Mic button)
    NOTE: SPMC has to be up and running for its voice search to work. So restart it after every reboot. Then press the back button twice on the remote to minimise the App.
    You also have to use SPMC only for Kodi ATV OS media recommendations and Voice Search. No other versions.
  • mmpp
    mmpp
    Does this include the "force RGB" from the last inbetween release from MasterChief? I need this option because of my old Philips TV.
  • wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 927
    No it does not it is not due to WeTek not including the RGB toggle setting in the underlying WeOS 1.2 Firmware.

I will try and find the patches from the LibreELEC S905 AML Kernel and see if we can actually put them in the Hub's ATV OS Kernel but that is only if Ricardo is compiling the ATV OS Kernel as well with this release.

Otherwise keep bumping the Android Hub RGB Fix thread on a daily basis, complain loudly and often, until someone at WeTek gets annoyed enough and starts paying attention ;)
  • mmpp
    mmpp
    There was a link to a specific Wetek Hub firmware with RGB option in the release thread for 1.0.2 (I use it, it worked when I tried it with my TV. Did not test too long, though) - so I guess there is no need to complain with wetek.

The mega link is down now, PM me if you want the file.
  • CyberJacob
    CyberJacob
    Would it be possible to skip the initial setup by using some pre-programmed values (ethernet only, 1080p50 resolution, etc.)?
  • ricardopvz
    ricardopvz

Would it be possible to skip the initial setup by using some pre-programmed values (ethernet only, 1080p50 resolution, etc.)?

Is it possible? Yes
    It it worth the work? No. You only need to do that when you first flash the ROM.
  • CyberJacob
    CyberJacob
    I'm getting a "ui-800-3 (109000)" error from Netflix, any suggestions?
  • ricardopvz
    ricardopvz

I'm getting a "ui-800-3 (109000)" error from Netflix, any suggestions?

Never seen that error or any alike in my life.

Try going to settings > apps and clear data for Netflix

Don't use a custom DNS and/or VPN

Search for that "ui-800-3" error on Google and try various solutions postes by various people. But never contact Netflix, as you are running the app in an unsupported mode
  • mmpp
    mmpp
    Sadly, after more testing today (finally had some time) the colorspace bug with Philips TVs shows up even with the release with the force RGB option. So wrxtasy was right; we have to wait for a proper fix.
  • ricardopvz
    ricardopvz
    mmpp said:

Sadly, after more testing today (finally had some time) the colorspace bug with Philips TVs shows up even with the release with the force RGB option. So wrxtasy was right; we have to wait for a proper fix.

You mean that it fixes it but later you get the bug again and need to go to the RGB settings to fix again? If yes, I think I can fix that.
  • acevoli
    acevoli
    Ok it's time to buy the hub I suppose!
    Great work guys!
  • ricardopvz
    ricardopvz
    edited November 2016
    @wrxtasy No need to search for it. I'm compiling the kernel with the fix for the Hub and Play 2

Edit: Well, the kernel bricks the Hub.
  • CyberJacob
    CyberJacob

Is it possible? Yes
    It it worth the work? No. You only need to do that when you first flash the ROM.

I'd like to be able to do a factory reset on the unit when each user is finished with it (every few days) to remove any of the user's details (Netflix account, etc.), hence the request. Would this be as simple as building a custom version of the app that runs on first boot?

• wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 927

@wrxtasy No need to search for it. I'm compiling the kernel with the fix for the Hub and Play 2

This Link contains the pull request from @kszaq, that we are all using for switching to a RGB colorspace when using LibreELEC on S905's.

• ricardopvz
    ricardopvz
    edited November 2016
    wrxtasy said:

This Link contains the pull request from @kszaq, that we are all using for switching to a RGB colorspace when using LibreELEC on S905's.

I know, but the Play 2 android kernel is missing a LOT of commits, so this patch won't work because it depends on those previous commits. The other patch in the pull request is already present in Play 2 android kernel

The Hub kernel on the update with the Force RGB setting, doesn't have the sysfs node (instead it uses a uboot env variable), so it doesn't contain any of those patches

And compiling the Play 2 kernel for the Hub (both use use same SoC and board variant) bricks the Hub
  • rodak
    rodak
    @ricardopvz this is epic. Flashing right now and will try it for a few days. Thank you very much for your great work. You like beer? :-)
  • ricardopvz
    ricardopvz
    rodak said:

@ricardopvz this is epic. Flashing right now and will try it for a few days. Thank you very much for your great work. You like beer? :-)

I love beer! Thanks!
  • rodak
    rodak
    @ricardopvz so far so good, have been playing around for a couple of hours.
    Only bug so far is that when I set refresh rate to level 1 or 2. Highlight SPMC in blue. Set refresh rate setting in SPMC to On/start or always. Then it works at first. But then if I skip forward/backward while watching a movie then the refresh rate resets to android display setting. Confirmed and should be fixed in next hub ota:
    http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/28142/problem-with-display-refresh-rate-app#latest
    Or maybe you can work around it?
    Setting the refresh rate to off, not to level 1 or 2 works as a work around but then only SPMC works correctly and all other apps don't.
    In latest kodi 17 beta5 the refresh rate switching doesn't work at all. Tried all settings combination.
    Worked in beta1 but since Beta2 it's messed up.
    Probably kodi developers that messed something up.
    Once again many thanks for your work
    Some beers will definitely be heading your way soon :-) How much is a beer in your country?
  • ricardopvz
    ricardopvz
    rodak said:

@ricardopvz so far so good, have been playing around for a couple of hours.

Only bug so far is that when I set refresh rate to level 1 or 2. Highlight SPMC in blue. Set refresh rate setting in SPMC to On/start or always. Then it works at first. But then if I skip forward/backward while watching a movie then the refresh rate resets to android display setting. Confirmed and should be fixed in next hub ota:

http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/28142/problem-with-display-refresh-rate-app#latest

Or maybe you can work around it?

Setting the refresh rate to off, not to level 1 or 2 works as a work around but then only SPMC works correctly and all other apps don't.

In latest kodi 17 beta5 the refresh rate switching doesn't work at all. Tried all settings combination.

Worked in beta1 but since Beta2 it's messed up.

Probably kodi developers that messed something up.

Once again many thanks for your work

Some beers will definitely be heading your way soon :-) How much is a beer in your country?

I can't fix that because I don't have the kernel sources.

It's around 1€ xD