[Development Build] WeTek Hub Android 6.0

MasterChief117
MasterChief117
AdministratorPosts: 3,586 edited February 7 in WeTek Builds/ROMs/Updates
Hi everyone

We're proud to announce that we're working on Android 6.0 for Hub and also, we have some good news about it.

As many of Android users knows, Android 6.0 is big step for such devices as it bring 4K support for those streaming apps that also have content in 4K.

Please don't forget this is a development build and some issues can be found, we already know a few of them, so, if you want to test and provide more info, just need to post it here.

In case you want to provide some feedback or report some bug, please try to be more organized as possible.

"I have a issue on a “some specific” app"

This doesn't provide that much info!

But

"I have a issue on a “specific” app.

I was playing it after using kodi and i get this error - XXXXXXXX
Tried again just to be sure it wasn't random and i got it again.

I watched this video clip XXXXXXXXXXXX and then i went to a streaming app and i got the issue"

This can be more useful so i can check and forward it to our development team.

So, if you want to get your hands dirty, and this procedure is very easy (there's no way to brick the device).
We tested this on a lot of different devices.

If you don't feel confident, please STOP.
Don't do it.

[WeOS - Development build - Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow] - 07.02.2017:

https://mega.nz/#!YIMWyTaa!0gdCSqtQL-vScEXix5QkPyZkso0no23Va7CPa43_3nQ

[How to install WeOS - Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow]

1. Download .zip from above URL
2. Copy it to one mSD card (to the root)
3. Insert mSD in WeTek Hub
4. Press power button and select Reboot -> Reboot to Recovery
5. Once you are in Recovery:

"Wipe data/factory reset" - "Yes — delete all user data"
"Apply update from EXT"
"Update from sdcard"
"DB-J31-wetekhub-marshmallow-ota-2016-11-05_12-12-14.zip"

After installing, please select:

"Wipe data/factory reset" - "Yes — delete all user data"

and

"Wipe data partition" - "Yes — delete all user data"

It will take some time to install and boot the device.

Please let it run (it can take up to 10 minutes)

If you want to go back to previous WeOS 1.0.2 build, you can download it from:

https://mega.nz/#!CMg3TZDB!tb881ie58g3HWcOOKjVPDOptliTqCH__c3OQyAhTDc4

Copy it to one mSD card (to the root) and insert it on the WeTek Hub
Power off the device
Using the update nail, press the update button on the bottom of the device
Insert power cable and keep holding the update button for 10 seconds

After this, on recovery, the same procedure as before (to install Marshmallow)

Best regards

Comments

• BigBoss
    BigBoss
    Member Posts: 78
    Very Good!

I'll try this right now on my Hub!
  • mmpp
    mmpp
    Update went smoothly, forceRGB seems to work. Like the last interim build, my tv has trouble with the hdmi sound. I need to select a different input and reselect the proper one to get sound.
  • mmpp
    mmpp
    After installing the development build, I can no longer select my sdcard with kszaq's libreelec as boot device during startup. Is there something I should change to get booting from sdcard available again?
  • rodak
    rodak
    edited November 2016
    @MasterChief117 Stil standard Android or Android TV?
    @ricardopvz will you do your magic with this one if standard Android? ;-)
  • Quadbeat
    Quadbeat
    Junior Member Posts: 188
    @rodak

Standard Android of course with WeTek launcher.
  • rodak
    rodak
    Quadbeat said:

@rodak

Standard Android of course with WeTek launcher.

Ok, then I'll wait.
    I'm running @ricardopvz ATV rom right now and its much better to use with a remote. Can't see any advantage to run standard Android on a box that is connected to the TV.
  • BigBoss
    BigBoss
    Member Posts: 78 edited November 2016
    Wow.
    Been testing it.

It needs more work but with the Android Tv Apk of Netflix we have Ultra HD 4K Content!!!

I downloaded this version from apkmirror

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/netflix-inc/netflix-for-android-tv/netflix-for-android-tv-3-3-1-build-1513-release/netflix-android-tv-3-3-1-build-1513-android-apk-download/

Freeaakinnng awesome guys!

Thank you!!!
  • ricardopvz
    ricardopvz
    rodak said:

@MasterChief117 Stil standard Android or Android TV?
    @ricardopvz will you do your magic with this one if standard Android? ;-)

Of course!
    But maybe only when it is more stable.
  • auren
    auren
    Junior Member Posts: 69
    Thanks! I've been waiting for this. Is it possible to host the file on a secondary host? Mega.nz isn't letting me download.
  • auren
    auren
    Thank you! :smiley:
  • auren
    auren
    Questions about the Android 6.0 build.
    1. Will it still have the Wetek Media Player or will we be using Kodi Krypton?
    2. Will Netflix have 5.1 or will it only be available through the mod?
  • wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 882 edited November 2016
    And for CT's benefit my TV is a valid Dolby Digital 5.1 HDMI Audio Sink
    No AVR connected for testing. TV only.
    • The most recent Android TV OS Netflix works without .apk modifications
    • Its now very reliable, resulting in uninterrupted, video playback compared to what would occur before.
    • I now also get Ultra-HD 4K showing up in Netflix with silky smooth video playback.
    • However 5.1 Audio is missing, even with HDMI Audio selected in Android Digital Audio settings.
    • I do get Ultra-HD 4K / 5.1 Audio on the Android TV Mi Box running the same Netflix .apk. So its not my TV that is the issue.

Unfortunately the fun stops there:
    • When using either SPMC v16.4.2 or v16.4.82 I will get black video output when stopping video playback.
    • The Hub switches to an unsupported video mode. Pulling the plug is the only solution.
    • No black screen with WeTek Media Player, but it crashes very frequently. In fact its pretty much unusable.
    • Kodi Krypton beta6 is much more reliable, but amcodec hardware decoding has been removed.
    • Dynamic Refresh Switching is not working in Krypton
    • Hardware deinterlacing using mediacodec with Krypton is badly broken.
    • But the worst is all 1080/2160p 10bit (non HDR) HEVC video playback outputs Green Garbled screens. Tested with all Kodi versions, Krypton included
    • Exactly the same problems seen on the Xiaomi Mi Box, also running Marshmallow. But there at least 10bit 2160p HEVC displays properly and SPMC Kodi works.
    • Kodi compatibility has gone backwards compared to Lollipop.
  • anthonytex
    anthonytex
    edited November 2016
    mmpp said:

After installing the development build, I can no longer select my sdcard with kszaq's libreelec as boot device during startup. Is there something I should change to get booting from sdcard available again?

Same here, it would be nice in this case to have this feature working to have all the advantages regarding Netflix while having kodi working well (while M is in development status of course)
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Developer Posts: 1,913
    For me and also the other people at the office 5.1 works, @wrxtasy post the result of

"cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/aud_cap"

I think Xiaomi did an hack to trick Netflix, but I will be sure after seen the content of that file
  • ricardopvz
    ricardopvz
    edited November 2016
    @wrxtasy Netflix needs a Dolby Digital Plus receiver.
    In my ROM for example, Android reports that the receiver/tv supports every format, but then it transcodes it into the real receiver/tv supported format if necessary.
  • wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 882 edited November 2016

For me and also the other people at the office 5.1 works, @wrxtasy post the result of

"cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/aud_cap"

I think Xiaomi did an hack to trick Netflix, but I will be sure after seen the content of that file

HDMI Connection to my TV - looks like a valid AC3 and DD+ sink to me:
    root@wetekhub:/ # cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/aud_cap
    CodingType MaxChannels SamplingFreq SampleSize
    PCM, 2 ch, 32/44.1/48 kHz, 16/20/24 bit
    AC-3, 6 ch, 32/44.1/48 kHz, bit
    Dobly_Digital+, 8 ch, 32/44.1/48 kHz, bit
    I've tested DD+(EAC3) Passthrough by using LibreELEC with this TV as well.
    All the 8 channels are correctly mapped when the test sequence is run.

I'm definitely getting DD Passthrough with MM on the Mi Box as Android Volume controls have no effect on TV audio volume output. Same as I see in LibreELEC.

This is a Netflix Certified 4K TV too which is why it would be DD+ capable I'm assuming. That is why I find it strange the Hub's test MM Firmware is having issues with it.

On top of all that I can actually hear the difference of feeding AC3 / DD+ Audio over HDMI to the TV with even a lowly (headphone socketed) connected 2.1 Audio system. Its Aurally much punchier.

• ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Developer Posts: 1,913 edited November 2016
    You need support for >= 5.1 channels as well and the way Amlogic detects is by the presence of PCM 6CH or 8CH (what Amlogic code "thinks" is practically that if you are in a multi speaker setup you are able to receive 6 or 8 channels pcm as tv pretty much always announce themselves as 2 channels pcm)
    Probably Xiaomi modified that part of the audio hal that is, imho a mistake.
    Netflix checks for two capabilities: EAC3 and at least 5.1 channels, if you have EAC3 but it is like limited to stereo, Netflix thinks it's a "waste" and does not show 5.1
  • stickfighter
    stickfighter
    I updated firmware on the HUB and yes...5.1 Audio is missing, even with HDMI Audio selected in Android Digital Audio settings. Any fix on this?

I also tried to attach a 4-bay Probox with 4 x 2TB HD's. It was not able to read any of the drives. :neutral:
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Developer Posts: 1,913
    Paste the same command that I asked to wrxtasy, if everything is correct 5.1 is there and working, I use it daily ;)