WeTek Community Forum
Hi WeTek Fan! :)

Please check our WeTek Closed BETA program: http://www.wetekforums.com/v/discussion/31382/call-for-closed-beta-on-wetek-play-2?new=1

Thanks
MasterChief117

LE8, PVR: Record Timer on wetek Play2

peterlicht24peterlicht24 Posts: 2WeTek Community Member
Hi,
I'm using Libreelec 8 on Wetek Play2 with tvh 4.2 on same device and tvh-client as frontend.
Is it possible to wake up the wp2 for recording live-tv with the timer entries in Kodi?
Thanks,
Peter.

Comments

• codesnakecodesnake Posts: 654WeTek Community Member, Developers
    @peterlicht If you mean when Wp2 is in turned off (red light) mode, then it is not possible. For a live tv timer to start recording the box should be turned on.
  • peterlicht24peterlicht24 Posts: 2WeTek Community Member
    Yes I mean the "red light"-state.
    It's quit anachronistic to leave a device running 24/7 only to record every day 15min of live-tv...
    And our environment will suffer.
    Any alternativ to the "red-light"-state?
  • NedScottNedScott Posts: 1,123WeTek Community Member

Yes I mean the "red light"-state.
    It's quit anachronistic to leave a device running 24/7 only to record every day 15min of live-tv...
    And our environment will suffer.
    Any alternativ to the "red-light"-state?

The power difference is so minor that I'm honestly surprised there's an off-mode at all on the Play 2. It's probably on par with a RTC circuit, which would be needed to power the Play 2 on at certain times of the day. In other words, there's no practical power usage difference between an idle Play 2 and a Play 2 that turns off with some kind of RTC.

former WeTek Support team member, now just a friendly volunteer.
  • peterlichtpeterlicht Posts: 3WeTek Community Member

NedScott said:

The power difference is so minor that I'm honestly surprised there's an off-mode at all on the Play 2. It's probably on par with a RTC circuit, which would be needed to power the Play 2 on at certain times of the day. In other words, there's no practical power usage difference between an idle Play 2 and a Play 2 that turns off with some kind of RTC.
    My quite old enigma2-based Dreambox has a power consumption in deep standby with about 0,5W and the box has no problem to wake up, record and fall back into deep standby.
    It's hard to believe that a state-of-the-art streaming set-top-box in 2017 must stay ON with an idle power consumtion of 8W.

Measured today:
    Wetek Play 2, ON, Idle: 8W
    Wetek Play 2, OFF, red-light-state: 2,5W

Dreambox DM800se, ON, Idle: 12W
    Dreambox DM800se, Standby, Idle: 8W
    Dreambox DM800se, Deep-Standby, Idle: 0,5W

In my opinion the difference between 0.5 watts and 8 watts is arguably insignificant. Adding such a feature increases the cost of the device, so everything has to be balanced. It's not about if something is state-of-the-art or not.

Dreambox might have made different decisions about what features to include or not, but if they were so good over-all about what they were doing then you probably wouldn't be looking to replace it.

• shadshad Posts: 86WeTek Community Member
    What a joke reply really... Not sure if I should laugh or cry everytime I see how you guys try to justify / to defend things, that obviously go wrong with WeTeK devices / software / concept. Often contradicting yourself / your colleagues too.

People are looking at replacements, because the plattform choosen for E2 boxes is great for TV / PVR stuff, but is very limited in terms of KODI and (DRM-)App support, which seems to be more and more the preferred / common way of consuming videos, movies, sports etc.

WeTeK offering a better plattform for this "new way" doesn't mean that all the usefull and common sense things have to be dropped.

Speaking of the costs: you could save a lot of them by dropping your own "broken" WeTV app and just offering proper drivers, so that E2 guys can do their images, which are miles better and mature anyway.
    "You guys"? Make no mistake, my opinions are my own.

shad, don't come in here and hijack a different topic just to complain about E2 support. If you want to make a point about the power consumption topic, that I could at least respect, because that is the topic being discussed. If you wanted an E2 box then you should have bought an E2 box. Consider yourself warned.

• shadshad Posts: 86WeTek Community Member
    edited March 8
    I said "you guys", since you are still related to Wetek in some way, be it only because you are able to warn users here. But you said you aren't working for them, so some parts of my post could have been written differently indeed, sorry.

However, I've mentioned E2 only because you provocatively raised the question on why people look at replacements and how an internal battery would increase the costs, so I just commented on it.

It's not because of a bad power management or time(r) issues - all this is solved perfectly on STBs (not only E2!) because it''s just common sense for devices like that and if Wetek does offer such devices, they also should do it right and not half.

And btw.: time(r) issues is the actual topic here and not the power consumption, which we came to only because of your comments on how the difference between 0.5 watts and 8 watts is arguably insignificant.

The problems with the current time on startup, that several users are having, have the same reason as the topic here.

And this stance (no internal battery, necessity of network connection to get current time, leaving the device powered on all the time to be able to make scheduled recordings) is a joke / unserious in my opinion and that's what I said directly at the beginning of my previous reply.
    shad said:

And this stance (no internal battery, necessity of network connection to get current time, leaving the device powered on all the time to be able to make scheduled recordings) is a joke / unserious in my opinion ...

damn right!
    When buying a new refrigerator, I do not abandon the cooling just because the new model has a touch screen in the door ......

shad said:

And this stance (no internal battery, necessity of network connection to get current time, leaving the device powered on all the time to be able to make scheduled recordings) is a joke / unserious in my opinion ...

damn right!
    Point me to an ARM/Android box that has a RTC. I'll wait.

Someone pointed out to me that Minix boxes have RTCs. Looks like I was wrong on that point.