Krypton HD slow playback live TV

fungusfeet
fungusfeet
MemberPosts: 122 in OpenELEC/LibreELEC (WP1)
I've recently upgraded libreelec to LE 8 and it's HD channels are unwatchable (BBC one HD etc) , the fps drops to about 10fps and CPU load is at 100%.
I remember I had the same issue when I upgraded to an alpha release of le8 before Christmas so went back to 7.

Searching for info is quite difficult (common search terms) but did see a post with someone saying krypton won't play nice with cheapo amlogic devices until they upgrade their firmware. Is this the case? Am I basically stuck on LE7 with this box?

Comments

• codesnake
    codesnake
    Developer Posts: 568
    What video codec the channels you have problems with are using?
  • fungusfeet
    fungusfeet
    Member Posts: 122 edited April 2
    Finding it impossible to tell you! Can't get info to show with key d, o, p or whatever.
    It's any HD channel on 28.2e

Log is full of these entries...

DEBUG: CAMLCodec::Decode: ret: 0, sz: 0, dts_in: 18442
    40474082.1797[4B126], pts_in: 18442240474082.1797[4DB56], adj:0, ptsOut:1.9166, am
    pts:172494, idx:5, timesize:2.0400
  • codesnake
    codesnake
    Can you please record a sample of several seconds from one of the problematic channels, so we can try to reproduce your issue here?
  • fungusfeet
    fungusfeet
    Member Posts: 122
    can't believe I didn't see it before but codec has moved to the info bar so it's h.264.
    I recorded some video but when I play it back on pc it looks absolutely fine, can upload if you like but it sounds like box is struggling
  • fungusfeet
    fungusfeet
    https://mega.nz/#!BgI3HCjI!LJTCkR4FQ3UBRiF1ziYRHxJ2BEoKCY6BBU_Xzz1XbZA

Looks perfect on PC, can't believe Ian Beale is still alive though.

Watching live that was really juddery, frame skipping constantly.

It's actually perfect when watching back from recordings on wetek too.
  • codesnake
    codesnake
    @fungusfeet What backend you use to watch live tv?
  • fungusfeet
    fungusfeet
    Tvheadend 4.2
  • codesnake
    codesnake
    Can you please post your kernel log and Kodi debug log?

dmesg | pastebinit
    cat .kodi/temp/kodi.log | pastebinit
  • abc150781
    abc150781
    I observed the jerking too. I've a WT1 with TVH 4.2 + **** on Libreelec 8.0.1.
    When watching DVB-C HD channels the CPU Load is by 100% (Kodi prozess).

SD Channels are running well.

I will check my logs if I the same message as fungusfeet.

Will post my logs later on.

Please let me know if someone found the issue.

BR
    Patrick
  • fungusfeet
    fungusfeet
    The problem seems to be that deinterlacing isn't activated on 1080p TV streams. Doesn't appear to be an option to enable either, probably driver. Oh well, back to Jarvis.
  • codesnake
    codesnake
    @abc150781 As I already told to @fungusfeet - to help you resolve the issue I need your Kodi debug log:

dmesg | pastebinit
    cat .kodi/temp/kodi.log | pastebinit

• fungusfeet
    fungusfeet
    http://sprunge.us/hSIb
    http://sprunge.us/SjJD

Wasn't going to bother as pretty sure it's hardware related but there you go. Fairly unintensive action but still struggling, changing channel makes it worse as does having any menu on screen.

On an unrelated matter, any idea why my skin keeps reverting to standard level on settings in krypton, tried changing skins and changing settings level and reverting but it always goes back to standard.
  • codesnake
    codesnake
    @fungusfeet Thanks for the logs. I'm sure the issue is not hardware-related, but most likely Kodi decoder-related.

It would be also greatly appreciated if you can record a sample from one of these channels, so I will be able to reproduce the issue on my WP1.
  • fungusfeet
    fungusfeet
    Member Posts: 122 edited May 15
    @codesnake, there's a sample in the 6th post.
  • codesnake
    codesnake
    Developer Posts: 568 edited May 15
    @fungusfeet Ah sorry, didn't notice it. Thanks much, I will check the sample and get back to you.
  • codesnake
    codesnake
    Developer Posts: 568 edited May 18
    @fungusfeet It looks like you have set 1080p60hz display mode and when you are playing a TV channel you get stuttering because refresh rate of the display doesn't correspond to the frame rate of the TV channels that is 50hz.

To have smooth playback set default display mode to 1080p50hz and set the Adjust display refresh rate to match video to On Start/Stop.
  • fungusfeet
    fungusfeet
    Member Posts: 122 edited May 20
    That has definitely helped, picture still stutters when opening a menu/GUI.
    Didn't have to make these amendments on Jarvis though.

Its also quite annoying as my TV goes off every few seconds while the amp switches refresh rate.