[ROM] [Marshmallow] Android TV v2.0

ricardopvz
ricardopvz

WARNING!!!
This is a Custom ROM,
it is not officially supported by WeTek nor Google.
If something bad happens, nor me nor WeTek is responsible and you will probably loose your warranty!

That being said, I've been running this without any problems and this box is very easy to unbrick.

Android TV for WeTek Hub

Features:
  • Netflix available in the Play Store
  • Added back the telnet server
  • Added back the FTP server
  • Added back the HDMI-CEC language option to HDMI-CEC settings and disabled it by default
    No more automatically switching to Korean
  • HD audio passthrough works correctly in apps like Netflix, Plex etc
  • DTS-HD is automatically downgraded to DTS if your AVR doesn't support it (except in Kodi)
  • Dolby Digital Plus is automatically downgraded to Dolby Digital if your AVR doesn't support it (except in Kodi)
    This way, people can still enjoy Netflix in 5.1 without a supported AVR
  • Improved playback in Kodi and other apps that change the refresh rate
  • Don't do HDMI renegotiation everytime we switch channels on "Live Channels" or skip a video in SPMC wth Amcodec
  • Supports USB microphones
  • Voice search works with usb mic's and the Android TV remote app (Android, iOS)
  • WeTek Core Remote works out of the box, including the mic
  • Xiaomi Mix Box remote works out of the box, including the power button (mic doesn't work yet)
  • Sideload Launcher included
  • Power button at the bottom of the launcher
  • Can start apps on boot (go to "ROM Settings" in Settings)
  • Use Android TV accessory screen instead of the normal Android bluetooth screen when pairing a bluetooth device
  • X-plore replaces the default file manager of WeOS (Ugly but very functional. Go to settings and use the dark theme for a better look)
  • Remove AmLogic Movie Player app
Note
Disable "Joystick Support" addon in Kodi for the back button to work.
This is a known issue of the current Kodi Krypton 17.1

Not working:
  • Google Cast (and probably never will)
Screenshots:

Changelog:
v2.0
- Initial release

Download: https://mega.nz/#F!A55jURJZ!Q8K8Tg0ZFgqV4vICeT3qNg
Download the zip, put in an sdcard, go to recovery and flash it.
Dual boot will still work
First boot will take some time, do not worry

If you come from the stock ROM (or a V1.x of this ROM), make a factory reset in the recovery before flashing or you may have problems

Recommended: Android TV Remote app (Android, iOS)

Donations: Paypal

Thanks to:
@wrxtasy for extensive testing and features suggestions

Comments

• NedScott
    NedScott
    Junior Member Posts: 1,098
    I hope you reconsider on the telnet server. It's a massive security hole, and in the last year alone (heck, the last week) we've seen how much damage unsecured systems can do. Everything you can do with telnet you can do with ADB, anyways, and that has the ability to be turned off for extra security.

former WeTek Support team member, now just a friendly volunteer.
  • vlaves
    vlaves
    edited May 17
    @ricardopvz Thank you so much for this realse, can't wait to test ist! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Especially when I read:

• Don't do HDMI renegotiation everytime we switch channels on "Live Channels" or skip a video in SPMC wth Amcodec
    Finally fluent and perfect deinterlaced Live TV rather in the Live Channels App or in SPMC as well as normal skipping :smile:

• HD audio passthrough works correctly in apps like Netflix, Plex etc
    And here I love reading bout you tested Plex as I would love to use the Plex Client, but it never worked relyable, no hopes are high again :smile:

Thanks again for all your work :smile:

PS did you had a chance to test Amazon Prime Video by any chance? Would love to have that working on your ROM in any way. As far as I remeber you once told it is available now in your country. Hope you can help here out too :smile:
  • ricardopvz
    ricardopvz
    NedScott said:

I hope you reconsider on the telnet server. It's a massive security hole, and in the last year alone (heck, the last week) we've seen how much damage unsecured systems can do. Everything you can do with telnet you can do with ADB, anyways, and that has the ability to be turned off for extra security.

I do understand the security risks, but adb is not ideal because it does some weird text wrapping and interactive programs look weird.
    What I can do is protect telnet (and ftp) with password or disable them altogether in a settings option, so each user has the final choice.
    vlaves said:

PS did you had a chance to test Amazon Prime Video by any chance? Would love to have that working on your ROM in any way. As far as I remeber you once told it is available now in your country. Hope you can help here out too :smile:

No, I did not. But I'm fairly certain that it will not work because the hub doesn't have PlayReady 3.0.
  • satcom
    satcom
    @ricardopvz .. Hi, hmmm .. have a problem .. the hub start corect after flashing, but then he want pairing the remote control, and he don`t find the remote. so i can do nothing. i will cry .. :smile: .. please help .. the version 1.0 works perfect for months i like.
    Greets satcom
  • wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 927 edited May 18

What I can do is protect telnet (and ftp) with password or disable them altogether in a settings option, so each user has the final choice.

This is exactly what WeTek should have done in the very first place IMHO.
    Instead of the "Nuke it from Orbit option !"
    They might actually get better Hub and Play2 release images from those that want to go to the trouble of troubleshooting & debugging their releases then.

I actually lost interest when easy to use tools were removed from WeTek's WeOS images.
    And here I am still complaining about it. :(

This is the exact reason why I'm happy to test and experiment with @ricardopvz ROM's. :)

EDIT:
    There are two remaining BUGS
    - the very first Skipping of video will still cause a HDMI renegotiation, Kodi Krypton & SPMC. Subsequent skips do not cause this.
    *** this appears to be for HEVC video content only strangely.

- use SPMC and Amcodec for Live TV deinterlacing only - not for general video playback. Otherwise expect Aspect Ratio issues after skipping about video with Amcodec.

• ricardopvz
    ricardopvz
    satcom said:

@ricardopvz .. Hi, hmmm .. have a problem .. the hub start corect after flashing, but then he want pairing the remote control, and he don`t find the remote. so i can do nothing. i will cry .. :smile: .. please help .. the version 1.0 works perfect for months i like.
    Greets satcom

Thank you for the report. I've removed the link from the post, will fix that ASAP.
  • snow
    snow
    edited May 17
    satcom said:

the hub start corect after flashing, but then he want pairing the remote control, and he don`t find the remote.

Just press the button with the 3 lines...
  • wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 927
    Yes confirmed, that is all you need to get past that screen. Good Pickup @snow
  • satcom
    satcom
    snow said:

satcom said:

the hub start corect after flashing, but then he want pairing the remote control, and he don`t find the remote.

Just press the button with the 3 lines...
    I will try :smile: Thank You Snow
  • ricardopvz
    ricardopvz
    The link is back with a new build that removes that remote control pairing.
  • satcom
    satcom

The link is back with a new build that removes that remote control pairing.

Thank you for the fast reaction. @ricardopvz

I try the tip from @snow and works.

Great Job Guy`s

• AxelRo
    AxelRo
    edited May 17
    Hi, please need help. How do I have to put this file on sdcard, zip or unzip ?
    L.E. Solved with zip file :)
  • AxelRo
    AxelRo
    Quick question, how do I put/delete apps on main screen?
  • chisposeti
    chisposeti
    Downloaded a few hours ago, and so far so good. Incredibly smooth. Enhorabuena @ricardopvz
  • wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    AxelRo said:

Quick question, how do I put/delete apps on main screen?

Long Press the big Middle remote button, to re-arrange Apps and delete them as well on Android TV.

Also in the Android Settings > Preferences > Home Screen

You can Turn OFF / ON the suggestions that appear in the Top - Recommendations Row.

Sideload/Launcher folder contains all the touchscreen, old regular Android Apps.

• vlaves
    vlaves
    edited May 18
    by "wrxtasy":

There are two remaining BUGS
    - the very first Skipping of video will still cause a HDMI renegotiation, Kodi Krypton & SPMC. Subsequent skips do not cause this.
    - use SPMC and Amcodec for Live TV deinterlacing only - not for general video playback. Otherwise expect Aspect Ratio issues after skipping about video with Amcodec.

Are these bugs still there with the updated release? Is this the black screen we get on skipping?
  • wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Yes.
    I've done more testing.....

There is a HDMI re-negotiation the very first time you Skip when viewing HEVC (H265) content in Kodi Krypton, subsequent skips are fine - no black screens.
    H264 seems unaffected by this first time skipping issue, and likely other video codecs will be fine as well.

Just got to find out what is going on with HEVC...

Also for those having issues with 10bit HEVC refusing to playback, download the latest Kodi Krypton 17.2RC1 from here and USB install it with X-Plore:
    http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android/arm/Krypton/

Seems to fix the 10bit HEVC issue.
  • auren
    auren
    Junior Member Posts: 88
    @ricardopvz Thank you! Wetek should get you to make their ROMs :smiley:
  • vlaves
    vlaves
    auren said:

@ricardopvz Thank you! Wetek should get you to make their ROMs :smiley:

I can only confirm :smiley:
  • vlaves
    vlaves
    wrxtasy said:

Yes.
    I've done more testing.....

There is a HDMI re-negotiation the very first time you Skip when viewing HEVC (H265) content in Kodi Krypton, subsequent skips are fine - no black screens.
    H264 seems unaffected by this first time skipping issue, and likely other video codecs will be fine as well.

But SPMC shows this behaviour with both h264 & h265 as I could see