WARNING WARNING !
DO NOT downgrade any WeOS 3.x Firmware to any WeOS 2.x or you will brick the Play2 !
Also DO NOT downgrade Android TV 2.2 to WeOS 2.x otherwise expect bricking.
Decided to pull this out of the main thread...How to Nuke WeTV and run aTvHeadend server with @ricardopvz WeOS 3.1 fixes:
This is all pretty safe, it just patches existing WeOS 3.1 Firmware and removes buggy WeTV in the process.
Those without a TV tuner just flash the .zip Firmware patch and you are finished.
1) Ensure WeOS 3.1 is already installed by confirming in Android Settings > About > Build
Download the bug fixed Firmware .zip file from HERE
Do NOT choose the .zip download option, you want direct download.
Save to USB Stick / SD Card, insert into Play2. Do NOT unzip.
2) To get into Android Recovery to flash the .zip file:
- From WeOS use Android Settings > Device > Storage & Reset > Reboot to Recovery
- Apply update from External > udisk (USB stick) or SD card.
- Select the .zip Firmware file that was previously downloaded.
- Wipe Data / Factory Reset (Recommended if you want a completely clean system)
- Otherwise just do a "Clear Cache"
3) Set correct permissions for the TvHeadend server - this is simple it just looks complicated.
- Telnet (meaning Login) into Play2 using Terminal (Apple Mac) or Putty Click to Download
IP address of Play 2 found by Android Settings > Network > WiFi or Ethernet
No Password is needed to Login into the Play2 when using Telnet.Click HERE for Telnet - Putty Youtube help
(copy and paste - one line at a time)
mount -o rw,remount,rw /system
chmod 755 /system/bin/tvheadend
mount -o ro,remount,ro /system
4) Setup TvHeadend server using a Network connected Web Browser on a PC:
Use the Wizard to select and tune TV channels
Configuration > Channels / EPG > Channels > remove (untick) duplicates (remember to save)
5) Install SPMC 16.x.x from the Playstore / Aptoide
SPMC Settings > Addons > MyAddons > PVR Clients > Tvheadend HTSP Client > Enable
SPMC Settings > TV > Configure as you see fit > Enable
SPMC Settings > Video > Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Start Stop
(never enable Sync playback to display even in Kodi - as it will kill Audio Passthrough)
SPMC Settings > Video > Acceleration > Accelerate MPEG2 > Always
TvHeadend server TIPS:How to add Channel LogosHow to setup external USB recording storageHow to Edit the Channels ListHow to setup Audio Passthrough in SPMC/Kodi
SPMC has to be used for TV viewing as you need Amcodec hardware acceleration and Amcodec Hardware deinterlacing. The Android Kodi Krypton TvH PVR Client is unreliable and broken on all Android platforms. Android Kodi Krypton has removed Amcodec Hardware acceleration.
To reinstall WeTV - reflash WeOS 3.1 again from Android RecoveryWhat Ricardo's fixes gives you:
Bug fixed video playback when using browsers. (should be working)
Netflix 5.1 Audio, even if you only have a AC3 capable HDMI connected Soundbar / TV / AVR
**Android TV Netflix currently broken - fixed real soon.
10bit HEVC video content actually plays properly.
Fixed refresh switching issues during video skipping in Kodi/SPMC when playing back 10bit HEVC (H265) content and during TV Channel changing with TvHeadend PVR.
Telnet root access re-added
Untested as yet: improved Audio, inc SPDIF audio output.
Plus what WeTek should have included all along - a TvHeadend server !
- for a much better EPG and PVR usage ;-)
And if that does not convince you the read...WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews