Don't downgrade WP2 firmware from 3.1 to 2.0.2!

ruip71
ruip71
Yesterday after having several issues with my Google Play Games app that systematical refused to work, causing my children games not to keep the scores, achievements and money stored on the cloud, I've tried different configurations on the Google side after bringing the WP2 to a factory default reset many times. Since nothing worked I went for a downgrade of firmware from 3.1 to 2.0.2 to check if the Google Play Games app problem could be related to the new OS version, and BOOM! Box is DEAD!!! After having several boxes from Vigica C70S, to Xtreamer Wonder, MXQ PRO 4K, etc. and doing downgrades of firmware on those without any problems, I've never expected to destroy a box by simply doing a downgrade! The box doesn't boot or shows anything on the screen! Only after, I found out on this forum that you shouldn't do a downgrade on the WeTek box. Why not having this CRITICAL information right on top of the page on the forum!? Now that is done, I've tried the recovery procedures that involves the SD card formatted with an image and clicking on the reset pin while turning on the box, several times, and still nothing! Tried instead of the SDcard having USB pens with firmware images and still NO boot. Tried the serial cable with putty terminal approach and still nothing! No sign of life from the box. So, 8 hours later after trying everything I could find on this forum, I managed to sort the problem, by throwing the box against the wall and then bin it! Problem gone!

Not acceptable WeTek! If a simple procedure of downgrading firmware can cause the box to die, please make sure that the previous versions of firmware aren't available for download on this forum or at least make sure that this CRITICAL information is right on top of the page so customers don't end up damaging their equipment!

WARNING: DON'T DOWNGRADE FIRMWARE ON WeTek Play 2

Comments

• wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 1,173 edited June 28
    Erm there was a warning from WeTek, on the actual WeOS 3.1 Firmware page.....
    (last edit 21 June)
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Please don't downgrade the device from Android 6 to Android 5!
    You'll brick the device!
    The system files are different and it will brick the device
    I do completely agree however about removing previous versions of Firmware if they can lead to such disastrous outcomes. Makes no sense whatsoever.

BTW: this was how I unbricked a AMLogic S912 MINIX U-9H - the method would be very similar.

Instead of the Power button I'm guessing you would use the Pinhole Reset button and hold it in with the Play2 until the USB Stick activity light started flashing and Firmware is automatically rewritten.

• Anima
    Anima
    WeTek Support Team Posts: 1,624
    wrxtasy said:

Erm there was a warning from WeTek, on the actual WeOS 3.1 Firmware page.....
    (last edit 21 June)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please don't downgrade the device from Android 6 to Android 5!
    You'll brick the device!
    The system files are different and it will brick the device
    I do completely agree however about removing previous versions of Firmware if they can lead to such disastrous outcomes. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Actually, it makes all the sense to have the oldest firmware available. Not all people updated to Android 6, and still need to perform installations manually.
    the only people that could encounter problems with manual installations (namely downgrades) are people on Android 6 firmware. And for those we do specifically have warnings on the first page, to NOT downgrade their devices.

Downgrading is only a problem if you switch Android versions (from 6 to 5). You can downgrade at will within the same android version without any problem.

You should have contacted support at wetek.com/contact before throwing it in the bin. We might have been able to rescue it.

Best regards

• Thrall
    Thrall
    edited June 28
    There is a warning related to this.

You ca find it here.
    http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/30358/weos-v3-1-by-ota-for-wetek-play-2-android-marshmallow-6-0-1/p1

But, although i do understand the inconvenience this problem can cause, i don't understand why you sent a ticket to customer support after this.
    Why not sending one before you throw your device against the wall?

If your device was under warranty. (which i believe it was)
    Of course, a solution would be arranged. Is for reasons like this that our customer support exists.

Unfortunately, now, don't see any arrangement that can be done.

Best Regards

• bolt12
    bolt12
    But you also have to see the our customers face where we have to wait half a year for marshmallow and is still not working very well. And if you want to go back to a working system it's not possible even breaks the box, that is not very good at all
  • ruip71
    ruip71
    edited June 29
    The problem with the IMPORTANT NOTE: Please don't downgrade the device from Android 6 to Android 5!You'll brick the device! is that this critical note is ONLY on the "WeOS v3.1 by OTA for WeTek Play 2" discussion!!! Not on the "WeOS v2.0.2 by OTA for WeTek Play 2" webpage! And when I looked for a downgrade, guess what!? I've only opened the v.2.0.2 page because it's was the ONLY one I needed to download the fw image...

As for rescuing it instead of throwing it on the bin, I've tried basically everything that is on the forum for hours! Of course I've could open a support ticket and eventually have it repaired at WeTek (if that will be possible by any means as the box didn't even respond to a serial/terminal connection), but I'm in Ireland and supporting the costs to shipping it both ways to Portugal will be at least half of the price of the box...

It's a joke that such a small little operation can kill the box and there is no warning/system capable of preventing the firmware downgrade procedure! Specially when there isn't a clear warning on the forum at the correct page or more important yet on the image/zip file after downloading it!

So please, do update the "WeOS v2.0.2 by OTA for WeTek Play 2" discussion with a big note saying: IMPORTANT NOTE: Please don't downgrade the device from Android 6 to Android 5!You'll brick the device! and add a text file to the zip image with a name something like WARNING! READ THIS FILE NOW.txt

• Thrall
    Thrall
    Yes, as i mentioned, we do understand your situation.
    We do know this causes a lot of inconveniences.

But for reasons like this, we do have a warning on the forum. While we do not have a way to do this process safely.

And even understanding the inconvenience that this causes, every option would be better than throwing the device against the wall. Especially when he contacted the support minutes after this. We could have done the same process before this so we could offer him a solution.

But, everyone has its own decisions.

Best Regards

• madforit
    madforit
    So you wetek wise guys can answer this question... Was there any solution for the problem? Or is this just small talk???
  • boukhezna
    boukhezna
    I was able to go back to 2.0.2 without any problem
  • wrxtasy
    wrxtasy
    Junior Member Posts: 1,173 edited June 29
    bolt12 said:

But you also have to see the our customers face where we have to wait half a year for marshmallow and is still not working very well. And if you want to go back to a working system it's not possible even breaks the box, that is not very good at all

What you may not realise is AMLogic basically screwed over S905 device sellers with no official Android Marshmallow 6.0 SDK (Software Development Kit) support:

http://openlinux.amlogic.com/Android/Mbox

So a bunch of backporting custom coding had to be done for Marshmallow Firmware support on the S905 Hub & Play2.

This S905 MINIX U1 thread explain's quite a lot.
  • ruip71
    ruip71
    edited July 2
    So, should I just order a new WP2? After a failed fw downgrade procedure that killed my equipment bought only 3 months ago, causing me a loss of 124.90€, because WeTek didn't have any safeguards in place on the device it self to block this potential operation that is available on their official forum, nor they had enough and clearly visible warnings on the right places/pages to stop customers from doing this?

I could say yes as I do like the WP2 with their DVB modular tuners, and that was my plan after trashing this box. But after contacting WeTek services by email just to let them know of the potential result of an fw downgrade, while dealing with their Customer Support I've got really annoyed! I've never asked or demanded any responsibilities to WeTek when it comes to the lack of safeguards in place to avoid this sort of damage, yet their approach by email and on this forum has been very limited to the narrative that this was all my fault because I've trashed the box! Yes I did! It's mine! I can do it since I NEVER demanded any solution for my box! After 8 hours of recovery procedures and a lot of frustration I decided to bin it and buy a new one. That's it! And NO, that wasn't all my fault because such a potential damaging procedure shouldn't be available in the first place on the WeTek official forum without enough highly visible warnings!

So it comes that the worst part of the WeTek experience about this incident wasn't that fact that I've lost the equipment! Till this very morning my plan was just buying another WP2! The worst part is dealing with a Customer Support so focused on the fact that I've trashed the box and all is my fault, instead of having an engaging team with a serious approach by immediately updating the lack of information/warnings on this matter to prevent future problems as critical as this to other customers. So for that matter I'm having serious doubts about buying anything else from WeTek. In a highly competitive sector like the Android Tv Boxes (just gearbest.com have more than 150 different models for sale), you'll wonder why Customer Support it's not better trained on soft skills like Customer Satisfaction and Customers Retention Strategy...
  • Dandroid
    Dandroid
    null
    @boukhezna how did you get back to lollipop?
  • Unsuspicious
    Unsuspicious
    Yes how to go back to 5.0?
  • Dandroid
    Dandroid
    Thanks this is exactly what we need :) I have done that process many times on other boxes.
  • Dandroid
    Dandroid
    edited July 12
    Where have the downgrade links gone?

Edit-Found them, used them and downgraded successfully :)
  • jaleco
    jaleco
    Can you say us were did you found the links?

Thanks in advance
  • Dandroid
    Dandroid
    edited July 13
    There is a video explaining how to do it
    Links Removed
  • jaleco
    jaleco
  • rajmsuk
    rajmsuk
    I am stucking in this situation - how can i downgrade back to 2.02?
  • hitman4
    hitman4
    hello ruip71
    I made the device 100% with this method

Thrall
    June 16 #6
    Follow these instructions
    Anima said:
    Hello guys

As many of you know, downgrading Android versions is always tricky and should not be done. As warned in the first post.

However, some of you who ventured into the abyss, encountered the mighty brick.

Until we work in a stable solution for downgrading, so you won't do damage to your device, you can fix the problem by following these steps:

Connect serial cable and brake the boot with (CTRL+C)
    Until you get something like #interrupt

then write this:

defenv
    saveenv
    reset

The WeTek will start to boot normally with the Android you installed before.

Best regards

If you do no know how to use your serial cable, follow this tutorial
    https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.wetek.com/storage/tutorial/pdf/5498813a-5c34-44c2-b3e3-0e7a25fc7e5d-WeTekTutorialHowtomakelogwithRS232cable.pdf