[HOWTO] Unbrick WeTek Play

ChristianTroy
ChristianTroy
DeveloperPosts: 1,913 edited February 2016 in Recovery
It might be very rare (actually it happened to me only once, few months ago, while doing "dev work" and I had no RS232 cable, I locked myself out because of a bad rom flashing) but if your device seems dead and refuses to boot to recovery using the bottom located pinhole as trigger to enter recovery (see CWM or TWRP threads for more infos about entering recovery) don't be afraid because, unless you suffer of an hardware failure, you will be able to unbrick it using this MicroSD rescue method.

Download "USB Image Tool" and "WeTek Play rescue" files (you can use 7-zip to unzip them).

Plug a MicroSD to your PC using an adapter / card reader (backup anything on it because its content is going to be erased) and launch "USB Image Tool.exe".

You will see something like this:

1. As first thing select the removable disk that points to your MicroSD
2. Click "Add" button and navigate to the path where you extracted the rescue image and double click on it
3. Click "Restore" button and wait few minutes

Your rescue MicroSD has now been created, you can unplug it from your pc and insert it in WeTek Play's MicroSD slot (remove any USB peripherals eventually connected), and boot it with the usual "recovery trigger" combination.

After few moments you will see stock recovery doing its work and once it's done it will automatically reboot and you'll be able to enjoy WeTek Play again ;)

To restore your MicroSD to its original capacity (I created a 512MB rescue image so now your MicroSD will be listed as a 512MB one) you can use SD Formatter choosing those options: "FORMAT TYPE -> FULL (Overwrite)" and "FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT -> ON"

Note for Linux users:

On Linux you don't need any tool like "USB Image Tool" because every distro comes with "dd" command bundled.
Just plug your MicroSD to your pc and with a command like "dmesg | tail" see how your kernel names it (it can be something like "sdb" in case you have only one SSD/HDD installed or "sdc", "sdd", etc.).
Anyway, once you know what's your MicroSD card path (pay extremely attention to it or you might wipe important data if you choose the wrong unit), just type a command like "sudo dd if=/path/to/rescue.img of=/dev/sdc bs=512".

Actually the cool thing is that you can do the same using a spare WeTek Play (in case you own more than one unit): just insert the MicroSD in its slot, put the rescue image on a flash drive and plug it in.
Now, if you're using one of my custom rom builds your flash drive's content will be located under "/storage/usbdisk0", "/storage/usbdisk1" or "/storage/usbdisk2" (I did this to allow Android's vold to be able to mount at the same time up to 3 disks / flash drives, one per WeTek Play's USB port), just check with a command like "ls /storage/usbdisk0" where is located your rescue image and modify the dd command according to it.
Example: "su" (accept the eventual SuperUser / SuperSu prompt) and after that "dd if=/storage/usbdisk0/rescue.img of=/dev/block/cardblksd bs=512"

Comments

• canthackit
    canthackit
    Junior Member Posts: 21
    It looks like i've bricked mine, so as i don't boot incorrectly " and boot it with the usual "recovery trigger combination" does this mean boot the system as we do reflashing the box ie press and hold the reset button on the bottom of the unit and plug in the power? or do i just reboot with the SD card and let the system take care of the repair?

Regards: canthackit
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Developer Posts: 1,913
    Just do the same as if you were updating the rom (so powering the device with the toothstick in the pinhole), but with the prepared microsd card inserted
  • pauldb
    pauldb
    Junior Member Posts: 15
    looks like iv bricked my wetek as well, tried to go from cm11 back to stock

tried above method and even tried to go back to cm11 but no joy,just wondering if its the micro sd slot thats broke

get nothing, also tried used open elec on sd card again nothing ,just a blue light and the ethernet flashing

any help greatly appreciate
  • H0nch0
    H0nch0
    Senior Member Posts: 210
    also tryed this to recover one of my wetek's get nothing bar black screen
  • H0nch0
    H0nch0
    Senior Member Posts: 210
    pauldb;n7371 said:
    looks like iv bricked my wetek as well, tried to go from cm11 back to stock

tried above method and even tried to go back to cm11 but no joy,just wondering if its the micro sd slot thats broke

get nothing, also tried used open elec on sd card again nothing ,just a blue light and the ethernet flashing

any help greatly appreciate
    as above ? any promting to another solution ?

UPATE , i had not ran program in admin mode all back up and running again doing 1.1.4 OTA update now :)
    many thanx and remember run as admin the program guys
  • tomtomclub
    tomtomclub
    Junior Member Posts: 16
    dead link usb tool. see CWM or TWRP threads kut forum dit noting works her!!
  • freshpots
    freshpots
    Junior Member Posts: 7
    Is a different rescue image needed for the wetek openelec?

Edit: Some more info:I bought an wetek openlec, had e2 running on msd, all ok, went to install e2 to nand and now, didn't work and i factory reset via recovery which i think wiped openelec from nand? I ran the rescue img and now it boots up to the wetek play splash logo and bootloops without a msd. If i insert the msd with e2 on it. It will boot into that.

Anyone have any tips on how to get the box back to the way it was on day 1 with openelec preinstalled? Seems the only method I haven't tried is the hard recovery but I really don't want to do that unless I have no other option.
  • Hamsi
    Hamsi
    Junior Member Posts: 11
  • freshpots
    freshpots
    Junior Member Posts: 7
    Hamsi;n25027 said:
    Tried that before and didn't work. Just tried it again now and it worked, not sure why but I'm back up and running now anyway thanks.
  • mauro
    mauro
    Junior Member Posts: 29
    Hi there,

I would say that I've bricked the wetek play too if I would have a clear idea about how a bricked machine doesn't work.

I tried to run openelec from an SD card and after a negative result (who knows why so far) the wetek play starts with the white splash screen with wetek.play written and keep rebooting endless stopping at this point.

I tried to flash the box with same official ROM I flashed last time, the system starts the flashing splash screen, finish the process, reboot but nothing change...

Any idea?
    Also the Wetek play rescue doesn't exist on Mega NZ anymore..

Helps are welcome

thanks
  • Anima
    Anima
    WeTek Support Team Posts: 1,617 edited February 2016
    mauro said:

Hi there,

I would say that I've bricked the wetek play too if I would have a clear idea about how a bricked machine doesn't work.

I tried to run openelec from an SD card and after a negative result (who knows why so far) the wetek play starts with the white splash screen with wetek.play written and keep rebooting endless stopping at this point.

I tried to flash the box with same official ROM I flashed last time, the system starts the flashing splash screen, finish the process, reboot but nothing change...

Any idea?
    Also the Wetek play rescue doesn't exist on Mega NZ anymore..

Helps are welcome

thanks

Hello @mauro

I'm sorry for the incovenience that this problem has caused you

Your wetek has Android or OpenELEC on NAND?

Best regards

• MasterChief117
    MasterChief117
    Administrator Posts: 3,627
    Hello,

The links are back online

Best regards

• mauro
    mauro
    HI there thanks for your attention!!!

@Anima: it is a openelec box and I Installed Androind on NAND as by video and manual with no problem and worked smoothly until I tried to boot openelec. I tried to install and boot openelec on sd in different ways with linux with no positive result and this time I used win32XXX under windows 7 which created an ext4 fs (for your record)

@MasterChief117 : thanks for the links I'll try later on today

ciao
  • Anima
    Anima
    WeTek Support Team Posts: 1,617
    Hello @mauro

Usually on the OpenELEC boxes the bootloop problem is due to the security SIM card

Try this tutorial:

http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/13059/tutorial-how-to-check-your-security-sim-on-wetek-openelec#latest

NOTE: You will not lose the warranty in this process :smile:

Give us feedback on the issue

Best regards

• mauro
    mauro
    Last update.

After creating a recovery sd card with linux and dd command as suggested I followed the recovery procedure but nothing has changed.

Rom apparently installed and self reboot. Box start but keeps looping up to the white splash screen.

Moro options?

At this stage I'm thinking about installing the recovery and ROM using ADB and serial cable but I'm not sure it is correct nor I know the procedure.

I'm open to any hints

ciao
  • MasterChief117
    MasterChief117
    Administrator Posts: 3,627 edited February 2016
    mauro said:

Last update.

After creating a recovery sd card with linux and dd command as suggested I followed the recovery procedure but nothing has changed.

Rom apparently installed and self reboot. Box start but keeps looping up to the white splash screen.

Moro options?

At this stage I'm thinking about installing the recovery and ROM using ADB and serial cable but I'm not sure it is correct nor I know the procedure.

I'm open to any hints

ciao

Check the sim card please :)

Best regards

• mauro
    mauro
    Junior Member Posts: 29 edited February 2016
    :(

ejected and inserted and tested twice, nothing changed...

Do you think that this issue is after a try to start openelec from SD this could not have damaged the file system?

Open to a new try and thanks for your patience
  • Anima
    Anima
    WeTek Support Team Posts: 1,617 edited February 2016
    Hello @mauro

The next step would be a soft-recovery

wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/20136/soft-recovery-for-wetek-play-openelec

But this is only possible if you have a serial debug connection to your pc.
    Do you?

Best regards

• mauro
    mauro
    Junior Member Posts: 29 edited February 2016
    I need to find a serial 2usb adaptor. Do u have any suggestion about what to buy or more important what not to buy?

Thanks for ur time

Ciao
  • Anima
    Anima
    WeTek Support Team Posts: 1,617
    mauro said:

I need to find a serial 2usb adaptor. Do u have any suggestion about what to buy or more important what not to buy?

Thanks for ur time

Ciao

Hello @mauro

there is no recommendation for a serial cable, any should work properly

Best regards