[ROM][5.0.2] Unofficial CyanogenMOD 12 for WeTek Play

ChristianTroy
ChristianTroy
DeveloperPosts: 1,913 in CyanogenMOD

Release notes

* This is not a bug, but a consequence of the switch to art from dalvik: first boot, updates and apps installation will take longer; this happens because art compiles the apk and does not work like dalvik that was using a just-in-time approach (so expect almost 10 minutes for the first boot and future upgrades)
* Probably few minor things might not be as stable as the stock ROM, in case report it and I will try to fix it.

First install instructions

* As really first thing install one of the available customs recoveries (CWM or TWRP)
* Power off your device and unplug the AC power cord.
* Get the latest available ROM and GAPPS version from the links below and copy them to a MicroSD card.
* Now insert the MicroSD card in your STB.
* Plug the AC power cord while you keep pressed the little reset pinhole (located on the bottom of the device) for 10 seconds (just count slowly to ten and it will be good).
* Once the device has booted to recovery perform a factory reset and flash the ROM's zip for first followed by the GAPPS zip.
* Reboot and enjoy CyanogenMOD.

Update instructions

* Get the latest available ROM and GAPPS version from the links below and copy them to a MicroSD card.
* Now insert the MicroSD card in your STB.
* Enable "Developer options" following this tutorial and from it enable the "Reboot to recovery" option.
* Bring up power menu by keeping pressed the power button on the STB for a couple of seconds (or pushing F4 if you have a keyboard plugged in) and select "Reboot -> recovery".
* Once the device has booted to recovery flash the ROM's zip for first followed by the GAPPS zip.
* Reboot and enjoy your updated CyanogenMOD.

Downloads

* ROM 2015-01-20
* GAPPS 2015-01-07 (LITE)
* GAPPS 2014-11-09 (FULL)

Screenshots

image image image image image

image image image

image image image

image image

Videos

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZESm4wjU_kA

Comments

• ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Developer Posts: 1,913
    Re: [BETA][5.0.1] Unofficial CyanogenMOD 11 for WeTek Play

Misc Stuff

* When an app forces the portrait orientation, the default behavior is to simulate a portrait / phone-like UI adding black bars to the sides (an example is Antutu when it runs the benchmark, or Box.com). If you prefer to have a landscape stretched UI flash this zip. To revert to the default behavior flash this one instead.
    Note that the setting will persist even if you upgrade the ROM so you have to flash that zip only once.
    * When you press power button on the TV box or the AirMouse, the default behavior of the device is to perform a shutdown and enter a suspension state (the status LED will turn red) and when you will power it on again, it will have to boot from scratch.
    If you find it annoying you can flash this zip (it will have to be flashed after each rom upgrade) that will turn off box's video output but it will mantain it active for background tasks (the LED will stay, in fact, blue) and powering it on will take just a second (the same as it happens on an Android phone or tablet for example)

Older builds

* ROM 2015-01-15
    * ROM 2015-01-13
    * ROM 2015-01-12
    * ROM 2015-01-11
    * ROM 2015-01-10
    * ROM 2015-01-05
    * ROM 2015-01-02
    * ROM 2014-12-30
    * ROM 2014-12-25
    * ROM 2014-12-23
    * ROM 2014-12-22
    * ROM 2014-12-19
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Re: [BETA][5.0.2] Unofficial CyanogenMOD 12 for WeTek Play

WeTek Theater is now usable, flash this zip on top of today's build, the change will be included in the next (probably tomorrow) build, a "Christmas edition" that will give you practically a daily driver ;)
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Re: [ROM][5.0.2] Unofficial CyanogenMOD 12 for WeTek Play

Removing the "beta" tag since it's working very very nicely, enjoy this Christmas build on your first TV Box having a really working Lollipop

* ROM 2014-12-23
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

Fixed official YouTube playback in today's build (actually I've done a much better job under the hood integrating into amplayer the new Lollipop way to handle network streams, instead of keep using some old routines that I had forward ported) ;)
    Now it's practically a daily driver.

* ROM 2014-12-25
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

New build, and a new GAPPS zip for those of you that wanna a minimal install without most of G's bloatware

* ROM 2014-12-30
    * GAPPS 2014-11-09 (LITE)
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

* ROM 2015-01-02

Fixed volume +/- handling, now it will default to modify the "media" stream volume and it will actually work (despite big G's effort to output always at max volume the media stream using digital connections); improved mute button handling (it uses a native function to mute the stream instead of doing weird workarounds like amlogic was doing), if you mute it you can unmute pressing mute again or pressing vol+, if the stream is muted and you press vol- nothing will happen.

btw, this was Lollipop's handling of mute button before my modification

case KeyEvent.KEYCODE_VOLUME_MUTE:
    [...]
    // TODO: Actually handle MUTE.

.... "Actually handle MUTE"... they didn't rush out L release, do they?
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

* ROM 2015-01-05

Some minor changes and two relevant:
    - replaced CM's Superuser with SuperSU (the new superuser that has recently been committed doesn't work with this kernel that doesn't have SELinux enabled), at first boot a notification will tell you to update su binary, all the files are updated but, again, because of the lack of SELinux it will drive SuperSU a little bit crazy, just let it update the su binary in the normal way and it won't bother anymore
    - added an exception to not detect the airmouse as an hw keyboard so the aosp ime will popup (if you have an hw keyboard it won't show unless you force it from language & input settings)
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

* ROM 2015-01-10
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

This build includes a kernel that I've built from sources, disabling an option that was hogging the cpu when a network service was binding on the localhost interface (hopefully all the other things will keep working, I don't know how far it is respect the kernel used by latest WeTek OS roms, in case I'll ask for updated sources).
    Acestream, for example, was unusable because of this, now it works like a charm (tested under Kodi 14.1 RC and latest P2P-Streams, right now SopCast shipped with that addon doesn't work with Lollipop)
    Included CEC settings under Settings -> WeTek Settings, untested because I have any cec capable device. It should work because it's just a matter about writing some stuff to the proper sysfs file and let the kernel handle it.
    Re-introduced the display sleep timeout, setting it to a value different than "Never timeout" will trigger daydream (the screensaver), that you can customized from its settings.

* ROM 2015-01-11
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

Final fix for the zoom in issue on WeTek Theater. I tried to be nice, but I had to do it the hard way... now it won't happen anymore, it's practically impossible :) (I hope!!)

* ROM 2015-01-12
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

Added support for link2sd, if you wanna use it prepare a microsd card using the new cwm (be careful, all data on it will be destroyed) and install link2sd from play store

* ROM 2015-01-13
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

Added ethernet settings to set a static ip (you can access it from "Other" network settings menu), if you use Ethernet, turn off WiFi or it will try to join the network (Lollipop has integrated a much better ethernet service, in fact I'm not using Amlogic's anymore, but it could be better like toggling WiFi on/off when eth cable is plugged in/out, in case I'll give it a look if I can do something for it, I had already to change some things that were broken on Amlogic)
    Other minor things

* ROM 2015-01-15
  • pippo
    pippo
    Junior Member Posts: 8

Hello!

I enable "Developer options" but I don't find "Reboot to recovery" option... I use stock firmware 1.1.2

Thanks
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

That option is present only on this build, not in the stock firmware. Anyway the reboot to recovery should be visible from the power menu anyway because of some changes I did
  • pippo
    pippo
    ChristianTroy said:
    That option is present only on this build, not in the stock firmware. Anyway the reboot to recovery should be visible from the power menu anyway because of some changes I did
    Yes thank you! It was very easy ! And without brick :-)

I love the wetek play but the best is your customer service !!!! Wouahhhh!!Please continue ;-)

So I tested CyanogenMOD, it's cool ! I tested the application "live TV " ==> problem with stock firmware
    (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=228). With CyanogenMOD during 20-25 sec the picture is slow ( resolution SD to HD) but after is ok!! ( stock firmware was always slow)...Of course if I change channel, it's slow again during 20-25 sec ... I don't know Why ??

Another thing, I have sometimes problem with the mouse. Sometimes I must clic 2 or 3 times ( most of the time with Kodi) and you ?

Thanks !! :-)
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

I barely use a mouse (most of the time the keyboard, specially in Kodi) but never had that problem, you mean the bundled air mouse? In case can you give it a try with an external mouse or mouse/keyboard set with a usb receiver? Just to exclude a problem with the airmouse (mine broke and had to get a new one).

Probably it stops because it's buffering? And when it reaches a decent buffer it starts playing it fluently? I cannot really say anything without seeing a logcat (and reading the thread you need a subscription to use that app).

Anyway I'm glad you liked the rom so far ;)
  • pippo
    pippo

Hi Christiantroy,

I tried with an other airmousse usb and I have not problem ... So there is a litle problem with the wetek remote ( I thought the problem was only with Kodi but I have the problem with other app too) ... I came back with the stock firmware and idem ). I have sometimes crash with applications too( open and close directly ==> with stock firmware )
    It were my feedbacks for a better product :-))

How can I help you to find solutions? Log ? ( how ?)

Thanks !
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

You can contact WeTek support regarding your AirMouse problems. For logging you can use an app like this.
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

New build:

* ROM 2015-01-20
  • Mafarricos
    Mafarricos
    Junior Member Posts: 74
    Is possible to have link to * GAPPS 2015-01-07 (LITE) again?
    Thanks