[EXPERIMENTAL] Ubuntu 14.04 for WeTek Play

Administrator
Administrator
Senior MemberPosts: 354 in Linux
Ubuntu 14.04 for WeTek Play

Experimental version of Ubuntu 14.04 Linux distro for WeTek Play.

Download:

Ubuntu 14.04 for WeTek Play

How to install:

1. Download file wetek-ubuntu-1404-core.img.bz2

2. Extract wetek-ubuntu-1404-core.img.bz2

3. After extracting process is done, you can see in folder wetek-ubuntu-1404-core file wetek-ubuntu-1404-core.img

4. Download Windows app called Win32 Disk imager from http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

5. Install it, and run it.

6. Insert Micro SD card in your PC (minimum recommended size is 8 GB).

7. Burn wetek-ubuntu-1404-core.img with downloaded application

8. When burning process is done, remove MicroSD from PC, insert it in WeTek Play, and turn it on.

9. Ubuntu 14.04 will boot from MicroSD, so You always keep Android in NAND flash safe :)

In order to have some Desktop environment, you can install lubuntu with this commands:

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

Note: This last command can take up to 1 hour, because it will download 1.2 GB of files, and after it is done you will need to make reboot, and then You will have Lubuntu 14.04 installed at WeTek Play.

More info:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/08/24/ ... ic-tv-box/

Comments

• maxodolo
    maxodolo
    Member Posts: 54
    Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Ubuntu 14.04 for WeTek Play

hello,

i wanted to try this ubuntu image, but when powering up with the inserted sd-card, nothing happens... no booting up nothing...

for testing purposes i also tried your other linux image (enlightenment), and this one is booting up fine.

is there any known problem with your ubuntu image?

Max
  • neo
    neo
    The One Posts: 688
    maxodolo said:
    hello,

i wanted to try this ubuntu image, but when powering up with the inserted sd-card, nothing happens... no booting up nothing...

for testing purposes i also tried your other linux image (enlightenment), and this one is booting up fine.

is there any known problem with your ubuntu image?

Max
    Hi Max,

As it states "Experimental version of Ubuntu 14.04 Linux distro for WeTek Play." It is not yet fully tested by our team.
    It's also a community build so we won't have any real support for it.

However, we will report future builds and changes on our forum.

And again thank you for your valuable feedback.
  • hubless
    hubless
    Administrator Posts: 27

Hi Max,

Can You attach boot log from serial cable. It will help us to see more where it hangs on booting stage.

Image was tested by CNX Software. We will also try to boot it at this week, so I can provide you more infos.

Serial log would be perfect as it will show where it hangs.
  • maxodolo
    maxodolo
    Member Posts: 54

Hi,

i will try to boot with serial cable attached in the next days, and report back.

Nice holidays,

Max
  • Administrator
    Administrator
    Senior Member Posts: 354
    maxodolo said:
    Hi,

i will try to boot with serial cable attached in the next days, and report back.

Nice holidays,

Max
    Hi Max,

We located issue and will try to fix ASAP.
  • JPT
    JPT
    Junior Member Posts: 9

Hi,

worked fine for me after I installed ssh server and unity. :)
    Please mention near the download link that one has to install a desktop first before you can see anything on screen.

/dev/dvb is missing.
    The dvb drivers are special wetek? and let me guess: you are working on making them work in ubuntu? Great!

Jan
  • chr1s0fnak1
    chr1s0fnak1
    Member Posts: 37

Any progress on this.
    Going to give it a go once sd arrives.
    Cheers
  • ollo
    ollo
    Junior Member Posts: 8

Hi Wetek,

may I ask for an updated Ubuntu image? While Openelec and Android sounds great, there are a few things I'd like to run natively on the box and need access to command line linux system.

Thanks & regards, ollo
  • rastut
    rastut
    Junior Member Posts: 1
    ollo said:
    Hi Wetek,

may I ask for an updated Ubuntu image? While Openelec and Android sounds great, there are a few things I'd like to run natively on the box and need access to command line linux system.

Thanks & regards, ollo
    It will be great. I think the same there are a bit things that will be great run it natively on the box. I now that you can chroot, but always it's better go natively .

The kernel that is used in the Openelec last build, is not possible to use it for Ubuntu? Support for CPU and VPU will make that box incredible.
  • Marc
    Marc
    Junior Member Posts: 7
    may I ask for an updated Ubuntu image?
    I support this.

It is my understanding that at this moment of time most of the development capacity is invested in further stabilizing OpenElec (and Android). I hope that after reaching this goal (and for me it is already reached with the 5.0.5 devel version from March 7th) some developers time can be switched to port eg the DVB drivers to Ubuntu and then create an updated image. I speculate that the availability of a general purpose operating system could motivate further people to develop nice things for WeTek Play.
  • ollo
    ollo

Hi WeTek team,

while I got the Ubuntu Image finally working, how can I update the boot.img with new kernel? I have new kernel and modules compiled - v3.10.61 taken from recent Openelec build - but fail to generate and install a valid "boot.img". There is even a "mkbootimg" tool in the kernel tree. Please advice how to use it to generate a valid initrd.gz and assemble everything into the boot.img. Then how to install boot.img on SD-Card.

Thanks & regards ollo
  • ollo
    ollo

Hi WeTek team,

I think I've figured out how to use the mkbootimg tool to generate a valid boot.img. In kernel tree I do:

make uImage
    ./mkbootimg mkbootimg --kernel arch/arm/boot/uImage --ramdisk [path/to/myrootfs.cpio.gz] --second arch/arm/boot/dts/amlogic/wetek_play.dtb -o boot.img

The resulting boot.img loads just fine, but fails to map the root system from the 2nd partition. I get failure:

[ 7.427312@0] Freeing unused kernel memory: 3508K (c0774000 - c0ae1000)
    *** Error in mount_flash: mount_part: Unknown filesystem ***
    ### Starting debugging shell... type exit to quit ###

I've enabled ext3-fs in the kernel, but still no good. How can I upload putty.log and kernel config?

Thanks, ollo
  • delfi
    delfi
    Developer Posts: 132

Hard to say as it is unknow what happens in myrootfs.cpio and defconfig (Elec loads sqashed rootfs). As an idea, as this is well defined/known/static platform, you could bypass initramfs for testing by changing dtd -
    bootargs = "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext4 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img....

Perhaps, pastebin.com could be of help for logs etc.
  • codesnake
    codesnake
    Developer Posts: 575
    ollo said:
    Hi WeTek team,

I think I've figured out how to use the mkbootimg tool to generate a valid boot.img. In kernel tree I do:

make uImage
    ./mkbootimg mkbootimg --kernel arch/arm/boot/uImage --ramdisk [path/to/myrootfs.cpio.gz] --second arch/arm/boot/dts/amlogic/wetek_play.dtb -o boot.img

The resulting boot.img loads just fine, but fails to map the root system from the 2nd partition. I get failure:

[ 7.427312@0] Freeing unused kernel memory: 3508K (c0774000 - c0ae1000)
    [H[J[H[J*** Error in mount_flash: mount_part: Unknown filesystem ***
    ### Starting debugging shell... type exit to quit ###

I've enabled ext3-fs in the kernel, but still no good. How can I upload putty.log and kernel config?

Thanks, ollo
    Hi ollo,

Just use pastebin.com or similar website to upload your kernel config and serial log, and post links here.
  • ollo
    ollo

Hi codesnake & delfi,

for ramdisk I'm using the one which came as part of the Ubuntu Image boot.img while adding all the modules built for the new kernel.

This is my putty.log http://paste.ubuntu.com/10617381/

This is the kernel .config used http://paste.ubuntu.com/10617370/

Not sure how to mess with the cmdline / bootargs. Any advise very much appreciated.

Regards, ollo
  • ollo
    ollo

Hi,

meanwhile I got the recent kernel 3.10.61 booting and mounting the Ubuntu rootfs :ugeek:

I got a question on how to suspend / power down the box? "halt -p" reboots the box, no power down.

Thanks & regards, ollo
  • neo
    neo
    The One Posts: 688
    ollo said:
    Hi,

meanwhile I got the recent kernel 3.10.61 booting and mounting the Ubuntu rootfs :ugeek:

I got a question on how to suspend / power down the box? "halt -p" reboots the box, no power down.

Thanks & regards, ollo
    I will give your build a try. I've seen it on the vdr forum ;)

Have you tried the shutdown command
  • owe.b.robertsen
    owe.b.robertsen
    Member Posts: 50
    Is VDR or TVH working in backend on Ubuntu 14.04 Wetek box?
    Anyone got this working?
  • ollo
    ollo
    Hi,

VDR (headless) is working here beautifully on Ubuntu 14.04. But one has to update the kernel to load the available wetekdvb.ko module binary.

Regards, ollo
  • sergiri
    sergiri
    Junior Member Posts: 98
    Can anybody upload again the file? Mega link is broken