[BETA][5.0.2] Android TV (CM12 based) for WeTek Play

ChristianTroy
ChristianTroy
DeveloperPosts: 1,906 in CyanogenMOD
Release notes

Android TV is very limited at the moment, you can see it, for example. opening Play Store. Because of this I've decided for an "hybrid build" (see it like Windows 8 with Metro/Modern and Desktop parts.)

From ATV's launcher you will be able to run only a limited set of apps (only those built with support for the Android TV SDK), for all the other apps I've included Chainfire's Sideload launcher.

Using this launcher you can access to all apps installed on the system, included regular Android settings (I left if there because it's way more complete, from there you can even change resolution and/or overscan for your WeTek like in CM12).

Since the Play Store is really empty, if you wanna install apps without sideloading the APK, you can launch the browser (from Sideload Launcher), search for the app that you wanna install straight from the address bar (ex. "mx player"), click install and open the resulting link in Play Store; it's easier said than done.

If the device seems sluggish it might be caused by a background install process (an app is updating), the dex2oat process (aka ART compiles the apk) is very resource hungry, so just let it finish ;)

Remember that as a consequence of the switch to art from dalvik: first boot, updates and apps installation will take longer; this happens because art compiles the apk and does not work like dalvik that was using a just-in-time approach (so expect almost 10 minutes for the first boot and future upgrades)

First install instructions

* As really first thing install one of the available customs recoveries (CWM or TWRP)
* Power off your device and unplug the AC power cord.
* Get the latest available ROM and GAPPS version from the links below and copy them to a MicroSD card.
* Now insert the MicroSD card in your STB.
* Plug the AC power cord while you keep pressed the little reset pinhole (located on the bottom of the device) for 10 seconds (just count slowly to ten and it will be good).
* Once the device has booted to recovery perform a factory reset and flash the ROM's zip for first followed by the GAPPS zip.
* Reboot and enjoy Android TV.

Update instructions

* Get the latest available ROM and GAPPS version from the links below and copy them to a MicroSD card.
* Now insert the MicroSD card in your STB.
* Enable "Developer options" following this tutorial and from it enable the "Reboot to recovery" option.
* Bring up power menu by keeping pressed the power button on the STB for a couple of seconds (or pushing F4 if you have a keyboard plugged in) and select "Reboot -> recovery".
* Once the device has booted to recovery flash the ROM's zip for first followed by the GAPPS zip.
* Reboot and enjoy your updated Android TV.

Downloads

* ROM 2015-01-15
* GAPPS 2014-12-31 (ATV)

Screenshots

image image image

image image image

image image

Comments

• ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Developer Posts: 1,906
    Re: [VERY ALPHA][5.0.2] Android TV (CM12 based) for WeTek Pl

Older builds

* ROM 2015-01-13
    * ROM 2015-01-12
    * ROM 2015-01-11
    * ROM 2015-01-10
    * ROM 2015-01-05
    * ROM 2015-01-02
    * ROM 2015-01-01
    * ROM 2014-12-31
    * ROM 2014-12-28
    * ROM 2014-12-27
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy
    Re: [BETA][5.0.2] Android TV (CM12 based) for WeTek Play

New build with new gapps, read carefully the release notes in the OP

* ROM 2014-12-27
    * GAPPS 2014-12-27 (ATV)
  • hubless
    hubless
    Administrator Posts: 27

WeTek Play first android device beside Nexus Player to run Android TV. Congratulation CT.
  • mindful
    mindful
    Junior Member Posts: 2
    ChristianTroy said:
    New build with new gapps, read carefully the release notes in the OP

* ROM 2014-12-27
    * GAPPS 2014-12-27 (ATV)
    Hi CT, first of all I want to congratulate you for your work!!! You are one of a kind !

I want to download the new ROM, but the link does not work. The gapps link is working !

Hope you'll fix it soon ...

Thanks!
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

It looks like the whole mega.co.nz is down, I can't access the main site at all, if it doesn't come up soon I will upload to mediafire (but will have to split the package because of the size limit on mediafire)

edit: it looks like it's working now, maybe they have some storage offline
  • neo
    neo
    The One Posts: 688
    mindful said:

Hi CT, first of all I want to congratulate you for your work!!! You are one of a kind !

I want to download the new ROM, but the link does not work. The gapps link is working !

Hope you'll fix it soon ...

Thanks!
    Hi mindful,

here is the link from the alpha build:

Android TV
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

New build with new gapps

* ROM 2014-12-28
    * GAPPS 2014-12-28 (ATV)

Some work under the hood and some cosmetic changes, I'm liking this Android TV interface, specially because with this build you can install other apps and you're not limited like the nexus player (that doesn't even have a web browser right now)
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

Video of WeTek Play running Android TV: http://youtu.be/yrH_Ccdm52c
  • radumx
    radumx
    Junior Member Posts: 12

Hi Cristian,
    doing a great job, and I just got the version with DVB-C, and I want to test the new rom,
    I do not know if you could change a rom look / work at the same as the model Amiko (like specifications is close to the wetek) In my opinion, menu and channel list are too small to be seen from a distance of more than 3 meters
    anyway good job, success in the future
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

You mean menu for the fonts for the WeTek theater app? Or overall fonts? Because Android can increase font size in one of the menus under Settings.

About other devices, it might work I don't deny it but I will work only with WeTek devices, the people and company working for them are so cooperative that I'd never ruin this trust releationship by releasing something for a competitor ;)
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

BTW you can magnify everything changing /system/build.prop entry "ro.sf.lcd_density=160" to, for example "ro.sf.lcd_density=240" BUT take a backup using cwm before that because it might fail to boot
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

Next build (in the late afternoon probably) will have WeTek Theater's icon in Android TV's launcher

• radumx
    radumx

Hi Cristian, thanks for you quick answer , away from me to do something for another brand,
    I really like wetek, only application WeTek theater & youtube I think they are unclear menus at a distance more then 2 meters, have a look here(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO2wf0uuBfk) and idea of how we want to show the chanel list menu and epg in wetek theater, navigation channel list is simple and intuitive, given that not all users are advanced, and if the manufacturer make a wetek play with a CPU S8 ... sure I want to buy
    thanks again
    and
    Happy New Year ! 2015 with a lot of health! ;)

PS sorry for my English :oops:
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

Under display settings you should be able to increase font size, I tried it on CM12 and ATV and you can increase it up to 130% and it will affect WeTek Theater as well

Happy new year to you as well :)
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

* ROM 2014-12-31
    * GAPPS 2014-12-31 (ATV)
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

New Year Release :D

* ROM 2015-01-01
  • radumx
    radumx

Hi Christian, I just installed the latest version (2015) and I found two problems at the moment:
    - the keyboard does not work (only from the remote control)
    - Google Play are just a few applications
    am I wrong somewhere?
  • neo
    neo
    The One Posts: 688

Hi radumx,

I didn't had the chance to test the latest build. These are beta builds so some functionality will be missing.

As for the Google Play Store for Android TV it is very limited and will be until third party developers publish apps for this platform.

You have the Play Store in the sideload launcher where you will find all other apps for Android 5
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

What do you mean with the keyboard does not work? Which keyboard? There are two of them, the AOSP keyboard (it's a white keyboard and it's a touch based keyboard so you can control it with the air mouse only) and the LeanBack keyboard (it's dark grey, aimed for a DPAD). BTW the AOSP one is there just because CM build system pulls it in but it's not really target for Android TV.

For the Play Store it's everything written in the OP under the release notes, if you wanna install something else (practically 99.99999999999999999999% of apps of Play Store) you have to sideload it as explained in that post.
  • ChristianTroy
    ChristianTroy

* ROM 2015-01-02

like today's CM12 build, it has the volume control perfectly working now