WeTek Community Forum

OSMC to Wetek ?

a1danslat3a1danslat3 Posts: 24WeTek Community Member
Will there be an OSMC port to the Wetek ? I'm getting very frustrated with the existing problems on the Openelec builds and the lack of solutions. I feel that OSMC is much more stable and versatile. The community on OSMC are much more proactive in both fixing problems and introducing new features. OSMC has a built-in app store and the auto updates work flawlessly.

Comments

• MadSkilzYoMadSkilzYo Posts: 36WeTek Community Member
    Probably best to ask on OSMC forums.
  • tdw197tdw197 Posts: 356WeTek Community Member
    Harsh, very harsh.

Had a vero for a while and it was appaling and judging by the threads on the kodi forums it hasn't improved. Wetek has come on in leaps and bounds and considering openelec is still beta I have very very few issues
  • a1danslat3a1danslat3 Posts: 24WeTek Community Member
    Please don't take my post as an insult, Wetek have a fantastic team and community. They have come such a long way in a short space of time however I still feel that OSMC would offer a stable environment than openelec.

I have never used the Vero and probably never will. Looking at the specs it is a little underwhelming. I have used OSMC on my PC and a raspberry pi 2. Overall the expierence has been much more positive than openelec.

Don't take my word on it and try it out for yourself.
  • PatrocksPatrocks Posts: 6WeTek Community Member
    How did you get OSMC on your PC?
    My apologises it is not running on my pc. I have it setup on an older raspberry pi b board and the raspberry pi 2. The performance is still quite good on the older model. I only used my pc for the debian installation.
  • AdogaAdoga Posts: 40WeTek Community Member
    a1danslat3 wrote: »
    Will there be an OSMC port to the Wetek ? I'm getting very frustrated with the existing problems on the Openelec builds and the lack of solutions. I feel that OSMC is much more stable and versatile. The community on OSMC are much more proactive in both fixing problems and introducing new features. OSMC has a built-in app store and the auto updates work flawlessly.

I dont't recommend Wetek doing that for now. There are just too many options littering this forum and I think enough is enough, let the team concentrate on fixing and improving the existing problems instead of adding more to it. Take a look at my post here: http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-play/enigma-2/12010-openhdf-comes.
    We have openATV, OpenElec, CM11 + 3-4 others, official OS, openhdf, Linux, etc. No one of all mentioned is functioning well. Other systems have just one, maybe back then they had problems too but now they are rock solid, but in our case due to unnessary requests, after 4 months since I purchased my wetek play, I'm still trying and hoping to find what is good for me. This box was sold with android capabilities and OE was just a plus, I think they should figure that out first, because 1.1.5 is still a joke.
    Please don't take my post as an insult, Wetek have a fantastic team and community. They have come such a long way in a short space of time however I still feel that OSMC would offer a stable environment than openelec.

I have never used the Vero and probably never will. Looking at the specs it is a little underwhelming. I have used OSMC on my PC and a raspberry pi 2. Overall the expierence has been much more positive than openelec.

Don't take my word on it and try it out for yourself.

You need to compare eggs with eggs, as the saying goes.

I was a long time crystalbuntu and raspbmc user and am very familiar with osmc. If you use osmc and openelec on a Pi2 the performance is very similar, PQ is subjectively better to me on openelec, but that might just be me.

In this case openelec is still beta so its difficult to say how good it is yet, however, having had a WeTek since the start of the year I can certainly day it has come very far and the devs have been very reactive. On my box it acts as tvserver for the whole house and works brilliantly. Kodi is slightly less reliable, but then it is a pre-release version.
    I'm starting to agree with both of you. I think Wetek will have to start addressing the long outstanding issues relating to openelec. I myself have a Wetek Play since December last year and have seen huge progress under Linux. However the stability of the platform is still under question.

If Wetek want to make a system that is consumer friendly they will have to decide on which platform is the most reliable and the most productive. I love using openelec on the Wetek but unfortunately many problems still haven't been addressed.

I don’t recommend Wetek doing that right now. There are just too many options available in this forum and I think enough should be enough; allow them fix and improve the existing ones first. See where I initially complained about that: http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-play/enigma-2/12010-openhdf-comes.
    We have openATV, OpenElec, 3 or more MOD verions, official OS and OpenHDF, but none works well. Some other boxes have just one OS option, maybe back then they had problems too but now they are rock solid; in our case, due to unnecessary requests of porting this or that, nothing solid has been achieved. It’s about 4 months now since I had mine and until about 4 days ago I was still hoping to find a useful android version - many others still do. I think they should put more efforts into building a more reliable android software and one that makes sense, because from my point of view, the latest 1.1.5 is still a joke if compared with my new box that has almost same specs.

Wetek Play was designed primarily for living-rooms but turned otherwise for techie guys; all they did and are still doing is pleasing everyone by introducing unnecessary alternatives. I got sick and tired of this situation and got myself a new android dvb-s2 box. It’s been 4 days now using it without problems and without my RCU running nuts; overall experience is a dream. It took just few hours getting it up and running while the wetek play took many days and sleepless nights - please don't let me mention all the problems that still exist. Considering the state of the latest version, I guess they really didn’t like the good suggestions that were made several times in this forum; while that is good for them, it’s bad for those who, though, got it for android reasons, are being forced to use OpenElec for its acclaimed stability.

Please no offence; all I’m asking is give them some space to get the android software straightened out. If wetek gets it right (going back to the drawing board might help), I strongly believe no one would wish for openelec or openatv and not even OSMC; I know what I'm talking about.

I wish you all the best of luck with your boxes folks, and thanks to those that sincerely contributed to this box. It’s time for me to move on.
    If people want official support then they should stick to the official OS, no? I don't use it much, but afaik both kodi and wetek theater work well?

Now we have an official OpenElec box we should look for support direct from OE, we should be raising bug reports via their tracker, then they will get looked at by them.

Everything else is just hobbyiest and anyone getting their knickers in a twist as they are having problems with a custom rom or e2 need to realise the developers for these do it in their spare time.

Personally, I still find kodi on OE a bit crashy and recordings playback occasionally stutter from the dialog, but other than that it works very well..
    Very interesting feedback from other Wetek users. What alternative box did you purchase adoga ? I hope Wetek start rectifying the big issues under openelec in good time.

I feel that Wetek Play only strong area is openelec which is still not there. Android performance is pretty much terrible due to the hardware limitations. E2 looks real promising for the live tv function. Which might suit many owners like myself.
    Very interesting feedback from other Wetek users. What alternative box did you purchase adoga ? I hope Wetek start rectifying the big issues under openelec in good time.

I feel that Wetek Play only strong area is openelec which is still not there. Android performance is pretty much terrible due to the hardware limitations. E2 looks real promising for the live tv function. Which might suit many owners like myself.

I think it will be unfair to mention the name of the box I purchased here, due to the fact that the dev. teams are actually working themselves out to make the WP more reliable, sorry. The new box is great, has only android solution (closed source), perfect UI and has been stable since. Videos streaming on Video-Apps (such as Netflix, Plex, TED, VEVO, etc) are not that smooth but much better than when played on the WP android version - I'm more than satisfied with it because Kodi 15 rc2 runs very smooth and more stable on it.

I might still have to show up in this forum once in a while, because I have decided to keep my WP so that I have something to play and tinker with when I'm bored. I'm considering converting it from DVB-S to DVB-C for my bedroom, or use it as a Linux desktop/server - maybe some time in the near future.
  • lama0900lama0900 Posts: 138WeTek Community Member
    edited January 2016
    OSMC won't come to the WeTeK.

1. they have their own "device"
    2. openelec and osmc are competitors
    3. ask sam nazarko - i guess he will answer just "no" because of 1st and 2nd

• sam_nazarkosam_nazarko Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi,

We contacted WeTek in May, June and July on separate occasions to discuss a potential partnership and support of their product. We never received any response. In July, WeTek announced the WeTek OpenELEC device, and we saw this as a sign that WeTek is exclusively committed to OpenELEC and was not interested in an OSMC port to WeTek Play. This is why on the OSMC Forum I pre-emptively said 'No'. I did not want to potentially disappoint OSMC users by saying maybe.

WeTek reached out to OSMC a few days ago. It is now possible there will be an OSMC port in the future, but this will require some collaboration from WeTek. We are still unsure if OpenELEC is an exclusive partner, and if they actually want another distribution, as they may find it fragmenting and prefer to focus on just one.
    tdw197 said:

Harsh, very harsh.

Had a vero for a while and it was appaling and judging by the threads on the kodi forums it hasn't improved. Wetek has come on in leaps and bounds and considering openelec is still beta I have very very few issues

We've improved Vero 1 a lot. If you let me know your concerns, I can see to it they are addressed in a timely manner, but almost all users are reporting very good experiences now. You will always have some users experiencing issues, but this is why we are trying to engage them, so we can identify and resolve any outstanding issues.
    tdw197 said:

Harsh, very harsh.

At the time of writing, the original Vero was OSMC's flagship device and the WeTek Play was WeTek's flagship device. The original Vero is faster than the WeTek play (on paper specs support this as well). It continues to be the case that the original Vero is more performant than the WeTek Play clock for clock and architecturally. The new Vero 2, launched recently, is obviously significantly faster than WP in order of magnitude.

I've no doubt the WeTek Play has become, or will become a great device. We've expressed willingness to work with them, especially given their excellent treatment of Team Kodi and Team OpenELEC. But we've not made much progress. This lack of progress has nothing to do with products that OSMC manufacture or that "OSMC and OpenELEC are competitors". We are not competitors.

Best,

Sam
  • zbigzbig20zbigzbig20 Posts: 942WeTek Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Would be nice to have OSMC on Wetek Play in near future. So @Wetek team everything is in your hands now to make first step :)
  • adminadmin Posts: 144Administrator - WeTek Community Manager
    Yes, we are in contact with Sam, so everything is possible in coming weeks :smile:
  • dsaranteasdsaranteas Posts: 10WeTek Community Member
    Any update on OSMC support?
  • AnimaAnima Posts: 1,988WeTek Support Team
    Hello @dsaranteas

We don't have anything to announce at the moment.

Best regards