WeTek Community Forum

[TUTORIAL] Mod your WeTek OpenELEC Box to WeTek Play and run OpenELEC from SD

jelbojelbo Posts: 28WeTek Community Member
edited May 2016 in Tutorials
So, you've bought the WeTek OpenELEC Box but want to run OpenELEC from microSD to avoid space issues? I read on these forums it's possible but it requires some tinkering. What you'll end up with: a modded OpenELEC Box that runs Android (WeTek OS) from NAND (internal storage) and OpenELEC from microSD.

Info taken from Differences between WeTek Play and WeTek Openelec Box. Thanks to [USER="14"]neo[/USER] for the info and files.

You’ll need: 1. (Flash Play bootloader)
Begin by following the steps from the file HowTo.txt in Soft-Recovery.zip. The only difference is to change the baud rate to 1152000 instead of 9600, else you'll end up with this garbled mess:

wetek_kitty_by_jelbo_d9enclt_by_jelbo-d9enreo.jpg

I found this out by Googling ‘'wetek serial baud’' which gave me this pdf: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s...RS232cable.pdf. Congrats, your OpenELEC Box is now modded to behave like a WeTek Play and will allow installation of Android to the NAND.

(After flashing the u-boot.bin and trying the manual update method from this video I got this error:

wetek_android_system_recovery__3e__by_jelbo_d9encm_by_jelbo-d9enrf1.jpg

This is with the DB-J569-wetek-ota-2015504_18-42-17.zip file. Manually trying to flash it from the booted recovery gave the same error. I found it’s almost the same error [USER="12367"]t123thomas[/USER] had, but it's unclear how he managed to fix it. Anyway, avoid the error by doing this instead: )

2. (Boot CWM recovery)
Format the microSD to FAT32 and put the following files on it:
  • cwm-v6.0.5.1-dvbbox.zip
  • recovery.img (extracted from cwm-v6.0.5.1-dvbbox.zip)
  • DB-J648-wetek-ota-2015-07-15_12-47-40.zip (extracted from WeTek OS v1.1.5.zip)
Boot the WeTek box in recovery mode pressing the 'Update' button when powering on the device. Instruction video:

You can let go as soon as you see the Android loading screen. It will 'live boot' recovery.img: ClockworkMod Recovery for WeTek Play (CWM).

3. (Flash CWM to NAND)
Install CWM to NAND by selecting the cwm-v6.0.5.1-dvbbox.zip file from the microSD. Select 'choose zip from /external_sd':

wetek_cwm_recovery_v6051_by_jelbo_d9encm2_by_jelbo-d9enreu.jpg

then cwm-v6.0.5.1-dvbbox.zip. I believe this NAND install step is optional.

4. (Flash WeTek OS)
Then, I flashed the latest 'WeTek OS' DB-J648-wetek-ota-2015-07-15_12-47-40.zip from [ANDROID][15.07.2015] WeTek OS v1.1.5 for WeTek Play. Your WeTek OpenELEC Box will now boot Android from NAND!

5. (Make OpenELEC microSD)
Finally, I was able to follow [TUTORIAL]how to install linux, xbmc or openelec on micro sd. This will prep your microSD with OpenELEC. If it's inserted, the box will boot OpenELEC.

Happy flashing!

Comments

• Pride1922Pride1922 Posts: 2WeTek Community Member
    Is there any way to do this without a serial port?
  • NE0NE0 Posts: 808WeTek Community Member
    Unfortunately no.

You will either need a serial port on your PC or get a USB to Serial (rs232) adapter.
  • Dream1979Dream1979 Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    Hi,

for me ist just worked with a normal wetek play installation.

Update files on the SD Card.

Press the rest button on the bottom and plug in, if I have it correct in my head.
  • aaron_gavinaaron_gavin Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    Thanks for the guide.

Although, I was having trouble getting the usb-to-serial to work on my windows 10 machine. So I ended up taking a tip from 'Dream1979' and skipping the the serial connection all together.

I got the play os on my wetek openelec box by simply:

- put the cwm and play os .zip's on a micro sd

- boot into recovery mode

- install cwm from micro sd (apply update from EXT)

- reboot system into cwm

- install play os from micro sd (choose zip from external sd)

- factory reset then reboot.

Worked a treat for me!

cheers guys.
  • MaroloMarolo Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    Hello,
    I have WeTek OpenELEC Box and installed OpenELEC 6.0 in NAND.
    I would like to install and test OpenELEC 7.0 ( from GuRu) on the SD card.
    Now he's trying to do it I have this error:
    Attachment not found.

I only upload the bootloader from WeTek Play (u-boot.bin)?
    I do not want to have installed Android, only OpenELEC 6.0 in NAND and OpenELEC 7.0 (GuRu) on the SD card.
  • DigitalisDigitalis Posts: 15WeTek Community Member
    Hello,
    unfortunately I can't download the file Soft-Recovery.zip from mega.nz :-(

Can anybody help me please?

TIA,
    Digitalis
  • MC117MC117 Posts: 3,707Administrator - WeTek Community Manager
    The links are ok but mega.nz doesn't like my (fully adblocked) Firefox. All downloads get stuck at 99%. I had to use Chrome but I understand Opera should work too.

Thanks anyway,
    Digitalis
    I managed to flash Wetek Play to NAND but now I'm stuck in the setup. How do I activate the system? Or can I skip the activation and start Android?
    Digitalis said:

I managed to flash Wetek Play to NAND but now I'm stuck in the setup. How do I activate the system? Or can I skip the activation and start Android?

You can skip, since only the WeTek Play has the activation coede

Best regards

I got it, I only needed to connect a pointing device to complete the setup :-)

Thanks for your hint. Is the activation code stored in the internal USB stick?

Best regards,
    Digitalis
  • 1999gtv1999gtv Posts: 174WeTek Community Member
    Digitalis said:

I got it, I only needed to connect a pointing device to complete the setup :-)

Thanks for your hint. Is the activation code stored in the internal USB stick?

Best regards,
    Digitalis

No you only get activation code if you buy wetek play with android pre-installed, you can still use everything bar wetek cloud/antenna.
  • yonitanpyonitanp Posts: 7WeTek Community Member
    I followed all these steps (excluding the soft recovery since i was able to do this as aaron_gavin did.
    However, when i nsert the SD with openelec written on it, the device doesnt boot from it but goes directly to android. so now I dont have openelec at all. help please....?
    Hi

Download this file: https://mega.nz/#!rARzCSJa!WBcQOQK0LZWbpq0ypmAYLcPAk9B3OYLdNkKpLWhLNgw

Copy it to one mSD card and follow the video:

Best regards

• yonitanpyonitanp Posts: 7WeTek Community Member
    Thanks. I got it working by mounting the mSD via CWM....
  • sariksarik Posts: 5WeTek Community Member
    Installed 1.1.5 then updated to 1.1.7. Couldn't boot from sd card because the power button on rcu is not working. Updated bootloader to 1.1.6 -without power button switch. Then openelec on sd card booted ok. Discovered that IR receiver on box is working. But the power button on remote still does not work because the protocol used is not NEC.
  • dangerdreddangerdred Posts: 17WeTek Community Member
    After reading this am I right in thinking it can be done without a serial cable?
  • AnimaAnima Posts: 1,988WeTek Support Team
    edited August 2016

After reading this am I right in thinking it can be done without a serial cable?

Yes, it can be done without serial cable, although some cases (very rare) might not work, and then the serial cable is the only solution.

Best regards

Sorry for not telling about serial cable usage. Without sd card recovery, wetek os flashing always ended with nothing. I've used some old laptop with serial and usb sd card reader because laptop's on-board sdcard reader did not format sd recovery properly.
  • dangerdreddangerdred Posts: 17WeTek Community Member
    I tried using the serial cable but am getting garbled text no matter what baud rate I choose.
  • AnimaAnima Posts: 1,988WeTek Support Team
    Hello

Can you post you log here so i can see?

edited September 2016
    dangerdred
    Have you tried with 115200?
  • AllodoAllodo Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    Hi,

I've flashed Android on my Wetek OE. But without Serial-Cable. Only with SD-Card.
    And after flashing I made an Factory Reset. Then I updated to 1.1.7.

And now I have an real big Problem. I can't install any App because there is no Memory
    available. When I look under Storage the size of Internal Memory is 0.

I even couldn't run KODI, the only message I get is "On this place there will be the
    Media Player" or similar. So I couldn't do anything with the Wetek on Android.

What can I do to get Memory for installing Apps? Deleting Apps shouldn't solve the
    problem because the installed Apps only uses 88MB Disk Space.

Thx Forward.

• ThrallThrall Posts: 3,321WeTek Support Team
    Allodo said:

Hi,

I've flashed Android on my Wetek OE. But without Serial-Cable. Only with SD-Card.
    And after flashing I made an Factory Reset. Then I updated to 1.1.7.

And now I have an real big Problem. I can't install any App because there is no Memory
    available. When I look under Storage the size of Internal Memory is 0.

I even couldn't run KODI, the only message I get is "On this place there will be the
    Media Player" or similar. So I couldn't do anything with the Wetek on Android.

What can I do to get Memory for installing Apps? Deleting Apps shouldn't solve the
    problem because the installed Apps only uses 88MB Disk Space.

Thx Forward.

Proceed with a factory reset
    Power Off your device
    Disconnect your power supply.
    Underneath your Device, you have an update button (Small Hole)
    With the update nail provided in your package, press and hold that update button
    While pressing, connect your power supply
    Keep pressing the button for 10 more seconds.

Best Regards