WeTek Community Forum

Error adding Windows Network (SMB) to Kodi (Error 2: share not available)

sitruzsitruz Posts: 55WeTek Community Member
Hiya,

Just received my Core today. I was a little underwhelmed at the main Android performance at first, as I bought it for a Christmas present for my parents to replace their current WDTV Live solution (They need simple lol). Having gone into the Kodi side of things, I've found it fantastic! :D The way it integrates back to Android is awesome. I've added a new 'clean' skin and added Netflix to menu which boots back to the native Android Netflix app which is so cool! Love it.

I'm having a problem adding a network share to Kodi though, and I think it's likely to be something on the box side, as I run a Kodi installation myself on an Intel NUC for my own media.

Normally on other Kodi installations, I go to Windows network (SMB) in the add source section, and it discovers my PC fine, but on the Core I get "Error 2: share not available". It doesn't even see the PC. I have it on ethernet, and it is working fine on the network for netflix and the main android experience.

Every other Kodi device I have detects the PC and allows me to access (with username/password), but this won't even see it which is strange.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Many thanks

Comments

• wrxtasywrxtasy Posts: 1,221WeTek Community Member
    In Kodi try:
    Add network location > Protocol = Windows SMB > Server Name = IP address of the server PLUS then put :445 on the end (this is the SMB TCP Port Number) > OK
    Eg > 192.168.1.1:445
    Usernames and password may be required.

Then select the smb://ip.address.of.server from the list again to add your shares.
  • sitruzsitruz Posts: 55WeTek Community Member
    You are a genius, and a very nice person. :-) As you might guess it worked. Thank you very much wrxtasy. Perfect!

Many thanks
  • wrxtasywrxtasy Posts: 1,221WeTek Community Member
    Glad to help.
    This one stumped me for a while as well with Kodi trying to read files via SMB from my iMac server.
  • skykid2skykid2 Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    OMG this problem has been popping up every once in a while for years!!! finally a solution!!! thank thank thank you. and BTW I signed up for this website just to say thank you!!
  • ChristianTroyChristianTroy Posts: 1,913WeTek Community Member, Developers
    Yes it looks like it cannot scan over netbios on Android so you have to manually set the details of the server
  • andibitandibit Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    My configuration for network location over SMB protocol used to work correctly, I have audio and video files on a Time Capsule, with a static IP, which used to be accesible with the smb://user:password@server.ip/sharedfolder path, but since the latest update to OSMC, it doesn't work anymore.

I tried using the solution posted in this thread to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.
  • santarossasantarossa Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    I've had this issue on and off on various android devices including the Core yesterday-the first time I tried to access my PC shared movies on the Core. It has almost always been fixed by windows updates. I believe it is virus definition updates.
  • khairopkhairop Posts: 11WeTek Community Member
    edited November 2016
    great tip. Thsnk you

• HowdieHowdie Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    I just upgraded to new NAS and just updated my software too and had this. Add the Windows Network (SMB) option, and for server name, add an IP address proceeded by "\\" (without the quotes) in the SERVER NAME field. Server name should look something like "\\1.2.3.4 " without quotes. Then it will work with ANY SMB server, linux or windows based. SMB already is meant to go to 445, based on the protocol.
    Also if you fail to add a media source, NEVER save the failed setup, when prompted to. You do that twice and you get that error 2 and can't even add Windows Network (SMB), you then have to remove the sources or click ADD NETWORK LOCATION as the bottom, and do it there.
  • cjam1217cjam1217 Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    Thank you so much I've had this problem for the past 4 months redid it every single computer and it drove me nuts thank you at work you're geeat
  • macthomas62macthomas62 Posts: 2WeTek Community Member
    Glad to help.
    This one stumped me for a while as well with Kodi trying to read files via SMB from my iMac server.
  • macthomas62macthomas62 Posts: 2WeTek Community Member
    Hi I am having the same problem I am new to Kodi I did have a android box I didn't now how to transfer files over to Kodi in the end I found through es file explorer and Dropbox but I have now got Kodi on Apple TV 4 I've been trying for ages to transfer files over to from PC and Mac I have tried smb windows network and share files l have look on YouTube I have tried everything I have had any luck I go into Kodi i notice my MacBook when I go to click on it this message comes saying (error 2 share not available) i did find a way I downloaded this app called SMBUp everything was working fine I found my hard drive on kodi open it there was my movies zip files etc..... but as soon as I unplug the hard drive everything is gone this is so annoying is there anyone who could help us and explain what is going on.
  • dan9100dan9100 Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    @wrxtasy I was having same problem as sitruz was having. I used your reply and it works for me. Thanks for posting this.

"In Kodi try:
    Add network location > Protocol = Windows SMB > Server Name = IP address of the server PLUS then put :445 on the end (this is the SMB TCP Port Number) > OK
    Eg > 192.168.1.1:445
    Usernames and password may be required.

Then select the smb://ip.address.of.server from the list again to add your shares.