WeTek Community Forum

[EXPERIMENTAL] Outernet bootable SD card for Wetek Play (DVB-S/S2)

BrankoBranko Posts: 4WeTek Community Member
edited February 2016 in Linux
Hello everyone! My name is Branko, and I'm a software architect at Outernet.

Outernet is a file sharing service that uses satellites to deliver the files. Our receiver, Lighthouse, is based on the Wetek Play STB (DVB-S/S2). We wanted to extend the experience to Wetek Play users as well, so we've started working on a bootable SD card that can be used with your Wetek STB without needing to flash the box.

WARNING: Please keep in mind this is alpha software, so there may be glitches. In particular, automatic OTA update that normally targets a flashed box may cause your Wetek receiver to be flashed with our software, so if you want to tune in to receive files, please make sure the OTA update does not complete (stop the receiver before it does). We will release an image with disabled OTA update early next week.

You can obtain the files from our Dropbox folder. Simply unzip the archive to a blank SD card, put it into the microSD slot, and power the device on. This turns the device into an access point named Outernet, and makes the web interface available at http://librarian.outernet/. All data and downloads are written on the SD card, and the internal eMMC storage is not touched.

For those of you who are more interested in the build, it's based on Buildroot, and the build files are available on GitHub. Virtually all files there are released under GPL, but there are a few binaries that we cannot open-source due to our contracts with 3rd parties. If you are interested in how the build works, I can answer your questions here, and you are also more than welcome to visit our forum.

Also, greetings to the Wetek staff. We have very much enjoyed working with your hardware.

Comments

• NE0NE0 Posts: 808WeTek Community Member
    Many thanks for the update.

We appreciate your work and contribution to the Open source community.
  • pe.tardope.tardo Posts: 11WeTek Community Member
    Be careful, guys,
    Why? My opinion is that this is a real Censure.
    No screen on TV, no web interface to setup (nothing to setup!!), and... my router completely
    factory reseted...user and password by default... (Good luck, I had a backup of my config stored...)
    It only creates an open network that doesn't works...
    No thx mates. this is my first & last try with this OS.
  • BrankoBranko Posts: 4WeTek Community Member
    pe.tardo said:

Be careful, guys,
    my router completely factory reseted...user and password by default...

You mean your receiver?

• pe.tardope.tardo Posts: 11WeTek Community Member
    Branko said:

pe.tardo said:

Be careful, guys,
    my router completely factory reseted...user and password by default...

You mean your receiver?

No. I mean my router.

Your os overwrites some files in the flash, and after test the outernet,
    android didn't boot, simply a black screen. I've must reinstall android in the wetek...
    Apart of this, as I said, my router (apart of wetek box) was default reset,
    user & pass by default, all my config lost (Luckily I had a saved backup,
    and can restore settings
    pe.tardo said:

Your os overwrites some files in the flash, and after test the outernet,
    android didn't boot, simply a black screen. I've must reinstall android in the wetek...

Ok, thanks for testing anyway, and I'm sorry problems happened (tho I did say it's possible). In theory, it shouldn't be doing that, but I guess there must be a bug somewhere.
    We have updated the image so now it should be safe to keep it running for longer (no longer takes OTA updates meant for Outernet's receivers).

Please give it a few minutes during the first boot as it prepares your SD card with virtual disk images it uses for storage.

I've tried to verify pe.tardo's issue with storage, but so far no luck. On my test box, none of the internal NAND partitions are mounted at any time:
    outernet@outernetrx:~$ cat /proc/mounts | egrep ^/dev
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard vfat rw,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=continue 0 0
    /dev/loop0 /mnt/rootfs squashfs ro,relatime 0 0
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=continue 0 0
    /dev/loop1 /mnt/persist ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
    /dev/loop2 /mnt/data ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0