WeTek Community Forum

Recovery Loop WeTek Play 2

2»

Comments

• dfadfa Posts: 33WeTek Community Member
    edited January 2018
    @codesnake I tried another sdcard, and it has the same results (with all of the steps repeated, above). Is it possible I'm using the wrong files? The sdcard is visible from the recovery menu (I can see all of the files on the card), and in libreelec.

Not sure if this matters, but the version of the recovery menu is:

Android Recovery
    WeTek/wetekplay2/wetekplay2
    6.0.1/MHC19J/20161109

Is it possible that the version of Libreelec I installed is somehow out of sync with the version of Android I'm trying to reinstall? I'm really at a loss.

I think I mentioned this before, but I was having problems flashing the NAND to libreelec, initially. I was getting these same errors about failed to mount /cache. The way I got around it was that I formatted the sdcard in Android, on the WeTek. I'm not sure if that method did it in a special way, or partitioned the sdcard in a certain way. I can't do it that way again on the wetek, but is there any comparable way to format the sdcard?

Thanks again!
    Just thinking out loud here:

- It also looks like the box is seeing the sdcard, because it's reading the dtb img when I try run recovery_from_sdcard
    - Since it's saying it's unable to mount the cache directory (permission denied), would it help to change the permissions on the cache directory (if that's even possible), and then change them back after the update is complete?
    - I went from the most recent version of weOS to the most recent version of Libreelec, I'm not sure if that caused any issues
    - I saw some posts, elsewhere, suggesting to use the Bootcard Maker: http://chinagadgetsreviews.blogspot.com/2015/04/how-to-unbrick-any-amlogic-devices.html, this has errors that are similar to what I'm seeing (not exactly the same, though)
    - Sorry I'm posting so much about this, but I'm kind of in the middle - the box isn't bricked, I can't get off of Libreelec, and the problems I'm seeing are slightly different than everyone elses. Thanks again for all of the help, it is greatly appreciated. I am willing to try just about anything.
  • codesnakecodesnake Posts: 744WeTek Community Member, Developers
    You already tried to change the permissions of the root directory of cache partition (mount/chmod commands), but it didn't help.

Use SDFormatter to format your sdcard. You can try also USB drive.
  • AnimaAnima Posts: 1,988WeTek Support Team
    Hello @dfa

codesnake said:

You already tried to change the permissions of the root directory of cache partition (mount/chmod commands), but it didn't help.

Use SDFormatter to format your sdcard. You can try also USB drive.

I was going to say exactly that!

I just used a USB stick to update an old board I had here, with a similar problem. It worked.

Could help with your case.

@Anima I tried using a usb stick, and it gives the same failed to mount /cache errors. I was hoping for the best.

@codesnake If we changed the permissions on /cache, I don't understand how it's getting reset everytime it's booting up. Is it part of the boot sequence? Is there a way to change the permissions on /cache, either in the uboot menu, or another, more forceful method (as a different user?), instead of changing it once it's booted into libreelec?

I see the failed to mount /cache, immediately when I get into the recovery menu, before I select any action. When I select factory reset, it says failed to mount /cache, also. Pretty much any action I take in the recovery menu results in the failed to mount /cache messages

I just really want to thank you guys again for continuing to help me with this, I know it's probably frustrating, and I know that my questions are pretty obnoxious. Thanks again.
    Unfortunately I don't have any clue why the permissions get reset after reboot. Normally it shouldn't happen.
    BTW what files you have on your sdcard when executing run recovery_from_sdcard?
    @codesnake I have the following files on the sdcard when executing run recovery_from_sdcard:

recovery.img
    factory_update_param.aml
    dtb.img
    DB-J58-wetekplay2-MM-master-2017-09-14_16-19-26.zip
    (I got them all from https://mega.nz/#F!81JnBQQT!-1Og-aUkm7nx7BC8vqvNWg)

Should I be using a different version, or should I be using different files?

When I run recovery_from_sdcard, it reboots the box and loads into libreelec. Attaching the log here.

Thanks!
    @codesnake thinking out loud again, but is there a way to change the permissions on cache (I think they’re being reset each reboot), mount sdcard and run the recovery files through u-boot menu?

Just throwing ideas out there. I’m not sure if they’re possible at all.
    @codesnake sorry, can’t edit my previous post, but this is what I was thinking of: http://www.wetekforums.com/v/discussion/20136/soft-recovery-for-wetek-play-openelec

Is there an equivalent process for the WP2?
    The above mentioned soft recovery process will not help in your case.

It is weird that uboot crashes when you are trying to run recovery from sdcard.

Let me check something.
    @dfa Can you try if you still will be able to flash LibreELEC 8.2.3: http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-WeTek_Play_2.aarch64-8.2.3.zip ?
    edited January 2018
    @codesnake I tried flashing 8.2.3, and was unable to. I still got the same failed to mount /cache errors. I tried doing it from run recovery_from_flash (boots to recovery, but I get the failed to mount /cache errors), and run recovery_from_sdcard (boots straight to libreelec).

Like you said, it's weird that uboot is crashing when trying to run from sdcard. I've tried multiple sdcards now, and I tried a USB stick, doing run recovery_from_udisk. The USB stick throws a different error:

** Bad device usb 0 **
    ** Bad device usb 0 **
    Thank you so much again for continuing to look into this!
    @dfa Let's try another approach. Boot into recovery and enter the following commands via serial console:

mount /dev/block/cache /cache
    ls -l
    ls -l /cache

After you have done post the output here.
    @codesnake Ok I tried running them two ways: I can't run those commands from the uboot/wetek prompt:
    ** Unable to read file kernel.img **
    Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
    wetek_play2#mount /dev/block/cache /cache
    Unknown command 'mount' - try 'help'
    wetek_play2#
    So here is the output when I run them from libreelec:
    LibreELEC:~ # mount /dev/block/cache /cache
    mount: mounting /dev/block/cache on /cache failed: No such file or directory
    I mean you need to boot into recovery and then enter the above commands.
    @codesnake Hm, that's part of the problem. I can't boot to recovery by doing the pin reset. The only way I can get to recovery is:
    defenv
    saveenv
    run recovery_from_flash
    when I do that, it takes me to the recovery menu, but I don't have any command line input, either the terminal is reset, or something is dying midway through:
    Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
    wetek_play2#
    wetek_play2#defenv
    ## defenv_reserve
    wetek_play2#saveenv
    Saving Environment to aml-storage...
    mmc env offset: 0x27400000
    Writing to MMC(1)... done
    wetek_play2#run recovery_from_flash
    ee_gate_off ...
    ## Booting Android Image at 0x01080000 ...
    reloc_addr =73f481c0
    copy done
    Amlogic multi-dtb tool
    Single dtb detected
    load dtb from 0x1000000 ......
    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
    kernel loaded at 0x01080000, end = 0x0214f8e0
    Loading Ramdisk to 73ac0000, end 73ec08ff ... OK
    Loading Device Tree to 000000001fff3000, end 000000001ffff816 ... OK
    signature:
    fdt_instaboot: get header err

Starting kernel ...

uboot time: 15642151 us
    INFO: p1d 7d
    INFO: pd1 fe
    WARNING: Unimplemented Sip Call: 0x82000044
    WARNING: Unimplemented Sip Call: 0x82000035
    WARNING: Unimplemented Sip Call: 0x82000036
    You need to enter commands using serial console, the same where you run recovery_from_flash. After recovery has booted just press enter to reveal command prompt.
    edited January 2018
    @codesnake I tried that, but after recovery has booted, I can't get the command prompt to come up by pressing enter (or any other key combination that I know of, esc, ctrl+c). I'm stuck at the prompt:
    Starting kernel ...

uboot time: 15642151 us
    INFO: p1d 7d
    INFO: pd1 fe
    WARNING: Unimplemented Sip Call: 0x82000044
    WARNING: Unimplemented Sip Call: 0x82000036
    I have putty set up as:
    COM3 (matching my settings)
    Speed 115200
    Connection type serial

Thanks again!
    @codesnake are there any commands I can run from the wetek_play2# prompt?
    edited January 2018
    @dfa Do not run defenv/saveenv every time, they were needed only once. Run only recovery_from_flash.
    @codesnake Ok, I tried doing recovery_from_flash, without defenv/saveenv. It never put my in recovery menu, or any prompt. After about 10 minutes, the tv lost signal and shut off. So I tried turning the TV back on, the WeTek console came to life, and put me into the recovery menu, without any permission denied errors in cache. I was able to wipe the system successfully, and update from the sdcard. I have no idea how this worked, or why it worked, but it looks like I'm back in the stock weOS. Any ideas what might have happened?
    edited January 2018
    @dfa I have no clue why that's happened, perhaps you just needed to reboot after defenv/saveenv. I'm glad you finally solved your issue.
    @codesnake me too! Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it. Now it’s time to really dig into what this box can do.

Thanks again
    You are welcome!

BTW if you ever decide to try LibreELEC again, it is better to run it from sdcard. In this configuration you can run either Android or LibreELEC at any time.
    @codesnake yeah, I’ve definitely learned from this mistake! Thanks again!