WeTek Community Forum

Wetek Android vs. LE

JoeHJoeH Posts: 2WeTek Community Member
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Wetek box and I'm trying to understand some (maybe basic) terminology.
I saw on the LibreElec site that Wetek boxes are used as reference devices, which probably means that LE is running great on these devices.
On the other hand, I see on Wetek site that they claim the Android (WeOS) experience is great.
So I'm confused. Why would someone go and install LE on a Wetek box and not stick to the WeOS + Kodi app?

Is hardware decoding in Kodi the same when running as LE and as WeOS?
Is CEC, DTS, Dolby, etc. the same in both OSs?
I assume you lose Netflix 4K if you chose the LE path.

Why would someone chose LE and why WeOS?

Comments

• ThrallThrall Posts: 3,321WeTek Support Team
    It is just a matter of preference really. It will depend on the usage and what you desire to achieve using the device. Some users just really desire to have a lighter and cleaner os based on Kodi to use as a media center.
    Also, you must run LE using an SD, meaning that you can dual boot, having Android OS on the internal NAND and using LE on a Flashed SDcard.

Unfortunately, Netflix on AndroidOS is only working at FulHD quality and not at 4k.

Best Regards

• CharlieHDCharlieHD Posts: 3WeTek Community Member
    edited May 2018

I've switched a lot between Android and LE so I think I can give some answers for future reference.
    On the other hand, I see on Wetek site that they claim the Android (WeOS) experience is great.
    Your milage may vary. It's a device intended to be used on a television with a very minimal remote that runs an operating system meant for tablets. I personally consider the experience mediocre at best. You can install an unofficial Android TV OS which will improve the UI drastically but you'll still need to put some effort into finding apps for ATV as the Google Play Store won't serve them to you.

My main issue with running Android or Android TV on a Hub is video and audio decoding issues that make any app other than YouTube impossible to use without regular problems. Kodi, Plex and Emby all have issues with playing files, within specification of the AMLogic hardware, from start to finish.
    Is hardware decoding in Kodi the same when running as LE and as WeOS?
    When using Kodi, it's not. LE has proper support for AMLogic decoding while Kodi for Android does not.
    Is CEC, DTS, Dolby, etc. the same in both OSs?
    CEC works perfectly on LE for me but doesn't do much on Android. DTS and Dolby bitstreaming work for both on Kodi. No dice on Plex though on Android (TV).
    I assume you lose Netflix 4K if you chose the LE path.
    There is a Netflix add-on in the works for Kodi that could allow 4K. So LE could allow that in the future.

If you're only interested in running Kodi, then go the LE route. It's really a million times better.

• AnimaAnima Posts: 1,988WeTek Support Team
    Hi @JoeH

Yes, LE runs great on the WeTek devices. LE team usually have WeTek devices for tests and whatnot.

Still, Android OS is a great software if you wish for more than a media center. You can install numerous apps for any usage you might want.
    However, if you wish to have only a Media center / Kodi like experience LE is a better way.
    Why is that? LE team is continuously improving their software that focused on that. While the AndroidOS side is most of the times dependant on want app owners do. This means, fixes and solutions might not be so constant and things might take a little longer to get ironed out.

• ohinsaohinsa Posts: 3WeTek Community Member
    I got too much interesting stuff on your blog. I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work. run 3