WeTek Community Forum

Core Upgrade/Replacement

Wink_DinkersonWink_Dinkerson Posts: 64WeTek Community Member
Tl;dr
What to buy, when your Core dies?

I own two Cores, since their release, and both have worked perfect for my needs (openelec/Libreelec). I only use my Wetek Cores as Libreelec movie streamers (no tv needed), so the Core had been a great device. Both have become unable to update to the any of the latest LibreElec releases (currently stuck @ 8.0.2) and unable to play BR rips without stuttering or freezing.
Due to the unavailability of the Play 2 (although I don't need tv), I looked at the Hub, but find the lack of connections and ram unsuitable for my needs, as well as not much of a future-proof device.
Contacted Wetek, but they were unable to inform me of the availability of any upcoming devices.

Comments

• Wink_DinkersonWink_Dinkerson Posts: 64WeTek Community Member
    https://www.wetekbusiness.com/products/

I did find these, but they don't appear to be targeted for the home consumer.
  • codesnakecodesnake Posts: 744WeTek Community Member, Developers
    Why stuck on LE 8.0.2? There are official 8.2.x LE releases for WeTek Core. And also LE 9.0 is also in development.
    edited March 26
    I posted in this thread "Le 8.2.2mr" that after installing any update past 8.0.2, my Cores will freeze within 7-8 mins of playback. I tried pulling the mSD card, formatting, and doing a clean install, yet the Cores keep freezing. The only version to play stable is 8.0.2.
    The only add ons I have installed are the movie & music scrappers for art work, as I use an attached USB drive to load my movie/music for the Core.
    @Wink_Dinkerson Can you provide any sample so I can reproduce your freeze issue on 8.2.x?
    I installed the latest LE and attempted to play a ripped BD, which plays in 8.0.2. the freeze problem still exists, and I need to unplug the core to force a reboot. Is there a log entry that will remain, after I reboot? If you could tell me how to set the log and then retrieve/copy, I will send the log.
    I'm hoping that the problem is a "user issue" and is easily fixed, since the Core has a 100% wife approval :D
    edited March 27
    @codesnake
    To let you know my setup, I have a USB drive connected directly to the core, with HDMI out to tv. I use ethernet to transfer my dvd/bd rips to the usb drive for playback.
    Today I updated to 8.2.4 via the LE gui, and the core stops without freezing, yet will not playback the movie rip (the Blu-ray rips will stop playing before 9mins). Since the core no longer freezes, I am hoping that you will be able to see in the logs what is causing playback issues. Please inform me how/which logs I should send.
    Thank You
    Issue the following command via SSH: cat .kodi/temp/kodi.log | pastebinit and send me the link it will output.
    @codesnake This is the link that was returned:

http://ix.io/13MK

It looks like Kodi cannot read a file, a lot of errors:

09:27:04.066 T:2874151840 ERROR: Read - Error( -1, 22, Invalid argument ) - Retrying
    09:27:04.067 T:2874151840 ERROR: Read - Error( -1, 22, Invalid argument )
    09:27:04.067 T:2874151840 WARNING: underflow: Error reading file - assuming eof
    edited March 28
    Yet they play on 8.0.2. and none of the subsequent releases. Weird
    Try to play the same file form another USB drive or SD card.
    edited March 29
    The playback problem is occurring with multiple movie rips, which none will play after 9 mins, which led me to believe the problem existed in the update, since they playback in 8.0.2. The usb hdd showed no errors, but I am taking your recommendation & I am going to try a new usb hdd. I ordered a new WD usb hdd, which will be delivered today, and I will report back my findings.
    edited March 31
    @codesnake
    I updated to the latest LE, then placed several Blu-ray rips on a usb FD, and still the files stop playing before 9 minutes. Reverted back to 8.0.2, and the files play. I bought a new usb HDD, and transferred my movie/music collection, which all play with LE 8.0.2. I updated to the latest LE, and again many of the movie files fail to play past 9 mins. :'(
    http://ix.io/14VV
    A search of the LE forums show that Core users have been posting freeze, stutter, and other similar issues since summer '17.
    https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9714-just-a-question/?postID=60679&highlight=WETEK%2BCORE#post60679
    As per post #7 by Chewitt, appears there is no love for the support of Cores and their "small user base". I will use my Cores, yet look for replacements, and hopefully Wetek will release new products soon, which can replace their Core.