WeTek Community Forum

Root Wetek Play 2 to use SMB

spinechospinecho Posts: 90WeTek Community Member
Hi guys...I wish to use my Wetek Play 2 as a SMB media server for my 2 S912 boxes (which are running LibreElec).

To use the likes of SMB I need to be rooted, but I cannot find a guide to root the Play 2. I understand it voids warranty, but it's out of warranty anyway and would probably cost less to buy new box than repair.

I'm running WeOS 3.2, but have also run @ricardopvz excellent ATV ROM.

I've tried Magisk on ATV rom...it appears to work and Root Checker says device rooted, but SambaDroid just hangs on "starting".

Any help?

Comments

• spinechospinecho Posts: 90WeTek Community Member
    Does Wetek not support the Play 2 anymore - I see posts in these forums are dwindling.... ;)
    I guess then that no one can help?
  • AnimaAnima Posts: 1,901WeTek Support Team
    We still do, however, you will not have much luck with the support team regarding tutorial that will void your warranty. I'm sure you understand that.

Also, If you are using Libreelec SMB should not require you to root your device.

• wetek7wetek7 Posts: 130WeTek Community Member
    The support is almost disapeared.
    edited August 5
    Anima said:

We still do, however, you will not have much luck with the support team regarding tutorial that will void your warranty. I'm sure you understand that.

Also, If you are using Libreelec SMB should not require you to root your device.

Cheers! However my Wetek Play 2 is out of warranty and is a surplus box so I'm not worried about voiding anything!!

Also I want to use the box as a Server, not client.

Can anyone help?
  • AnimaAnima Posts: 1,901WeTek Support Team
    wetek7 said:

The support is almost disapeared.

Yes wetek7, we still do not know your opinion about how wetek support is bad, please post it on more topics, completely unrelated.
    spinecho said:

Anima said:

Cheers! However my Wetek Play 2 is out of warranty and is a surplus box so I'm not worried about voiding anything!!

Also I want to use the box as a Server, not client.

Can anyone help?
    Even using a Libreelec as a server, SMB should not require root, just make sure you have SMB shares enabled in the settings.