NEW WEOS for WP2

boukheznaboukhezna Posts: 100WeTek Community Member
hi

see to page official wetek twitter

https://twitter.com/WeTekOfficial

Comments

• KoliKoli Posts: 32WeTek Community Member
    @boukhezna

Sorry but I don't see any info about WP2 on their tweeter? Could you please precise?

Thanks
  • guhornsguhorns Posts: 88WeTek Community Member
    I think some great news is comming for us WP2!!!
    @guhorns

Why you think there will be a great news? What is your source of information? I didn't spot anything realted to WP2 in the recent Wetek tweets.
    @Koli

I hope... I don't have any source, just twitter’s post...
    I remember look like this post on the last update...
    I don’t think wetek has left us in the dark since they said they were working to solve our problems. The social media be too risky for their business

Hope...
  • wetek7wetek7 Posts: 150WeTek Community Member
    guhorns said:

@Koli

I hope... I don't have any source, just twitter’s post...

I remember look like this post on the last update...

I don’t think wetek has left us in the dark since they said they were working to solve our problems. The social media be too risky for their business

Hope...

What???? they have recognized that Android Tv never will be seen in wetek play 2. We spent a year waiting for fixes for netflix and amazon prime video, that do not even work. Tell me what else do you need to realize that we are abandoned.
    I think that the only solution that we have is if thew "leak" the new devices os so someone can port it to wetek play 2 unofficialy.
    Anyway, it's still a hope for us ...
    Waiting..
  • boukheznaboukhezna Posts: 100WeTek Community Member
    The most important thing is support WETV Of the necessary additions as a device DVB
    @guhorns @boukhezna

You are making assumption that wetek play 2 will get an update without any official news realted to WP2. Android TV on WP2 would be great information but there is no any sign on official social media that this will happen.
  • AnimaAnima Posts: 1,965WeTek Support Team
    I don't believe you are able to get a licensed version of AndroidTV to devices already in the market.
    You are able to have an unofficial version from Ricardo, but it has limitations, such as streaming apps not working properly. Most of them, these days require a full licensed device.

I also don't believe Android 8 will ever release on the WeTek Play 2, as AMLogic did not release its SDK to this SoC. So I'm afraid that announcement is only viable for new devices, but this is just my opinion. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Maybe at least WeTv update for us?
    Anima said:

You are able to have an unofficial version from Ricardo, but it has limitations, such as streaming apps not working properly.

Ricardo OS is no longer being developed same as your native (we)OS for WP2 and as you and we all already know streaming apps not working properly on weOS too. Full respect for Ricardo that he managed to port Android TV to play2. Unlike to you he did that for free. Question is what you can offer to WP2 users now?
    Koli said:

Anima said:

You are able to have an unofficial version from Ricardo, but it has limitations, such as streaming apps not working properly.

Ricardo OS is no longer being developed same as your native (we)OS for WP2 and as you and we all already know streaming apps not working properly on weOS too. Full respect for Ricardo that he managed to port Android TV to play2. Unlike to you he did that for free. Question is what you can offer to WP2 users now?
    I understand your opinion and respect that.
    I'm not trying to be the devil's attorney here, I just want you guys to understand some things.
    WeTek as a company, cannot simply launch AndroidTV to its WP2 users as that would not be legal.
    Ricardo was able to pull that off because he is not bound to a Google contract like WeTek is.

Regarding the Streaming apps, they are not working in WeOS and Ricardo's ROM due to the same thing, it is a limitation of the streaming service and not lack of work from developers.
    His ROM did not stop getting updates, he simply acknowledged he cannot overcome this limitation as well.
    Unless the device is properly certified, streaming apps will always be a bit of touch and go.

@Anima

The question is what Wetek as company can do for WP2 users to resolve their problems? Some people bought this box just year ago and the native system is useless. Could you please answer on that?
  • ctrlaltcactrlaltca Posts: 24WeTek Community Member
    edited November 20
    Anima said:

Regarding the Streaming apps, they are not working in WeOS and Ricardo's ROM due to the same thing, it is a limitation of the streaming service and not lack of work from developers.

I'm sorry, but i can't agree with this statement: both Amazon Prime Video (the Android version, not the Android TV) and Netflix works in any chinese s905 based box (i own a few of them).

I spent some hours debugging Amazon Prime Video on WeOS, and the application crash is due to some weirdness caused by overlays in kernel framebuffer (logs are somewhere in one of the "Amazon doesn't work" threads in this forum). I guess these are dues by custom modifications made to the kernel, probably in order to support wetv.
    Ricardo's ATV is just a UI/framework modification on a Weos 3.1 image, so it inherits the same limitations.

If Wetek would like to make play2 owners happy, they could try to fix at least the big bugs over-reported by users. Even a single-man team could do it in one year.
    If Wetek would like to fuel play2 development, they could release some kernel/device tree that developers (if any still has any interest in this device) could use to build new roms.
    Instead, it looks like Wetek prefers to milk users again, with a new device that's basically the same as the old one, plus some marketing.
    edited November 21
    At wetek's launch, the company always said, I repeat, always said that this was a device with official DRM to play Netflix in HD. You even use this as an advantage in comparison with other tvbox. I spend about 130 € in a box that is dead since a year ago and you think that we are going to pay 170 usd for the same hardware that only has in addition the licenses that wetek play 2 supposed to have.
    You are lucky your totally abandoned customers are very respectful, your brand reputation should be at the bottom.
    No way.
    edited November 21
    @Anima At wetek's launch, the company always said, I repeat, always said that this was a device with official DRM to play Netflix in HD. You even use this as an advantage in comparison with other tvbox. I spend about 130 € in a box that is dead since a year ago and you think that we are going to pay 170 usd for the same hardware that only has in addition the licenses that wetek play 2 supposed to have.
    What about wetv? Here you have no excuse because it not depends on licensed software, only depends on your development.
    For the same price you can buy a brand new xiaomi mi box s and a decent dvb box like vu zero.
    At least , a great company that take care of their customers should admit their mistakes and compensate them with a device swap, after half an a year of a faulty box.
    You are lucky your totally abandoned customers are very respectful, you have ruined all the expectations that you generated with wetek play an play 2s. Now your brand reputation should be at the bottom among the community.
    No way.
    @Anima

You were willing to share your thoughts but still no answer on my crucial question. I will repeat then

"WHAT WETEK AS A COMPANY CAN DO FOR WP2 USERS TO RESOLVE THEIR PROBLEMS?"

We don't need words of empathy from you we need to have problems solved.
    edited November 22
    From https://www.facebook.com/wetek/videos/531987127267060/:

> WeTek: Hello , fortunately due to Google certification and requirements we are now in a position to give all future devices all the love they deserve. Unfortunately, the Play 2 and the Hub will no longer have further updates. Thank you for your understanding

After so much promises, finally an official word on updates: Wetek is just telling play2 users to f**k off and buy their new (same) device if they want to get support.
    Also, they are trying to make people believe that they can't update the play2 and the hub because of google certifications, instead of their negligence and incompetence.

Another lol moment, from another comment:

> As you may know, Netflix now requires official certification in order to be available on any device. Right now, Air does not have Netflix certification as we are waiting for it to come through, but it relies solely on Netflix and not on WeTek. As soon as we have any update we'll let you know

So, even for this device there's no assurance of working Netflix! Just remember that also the play2 was marketed as Netflix DRM-compliant.

Now, i don't know what Wetek's marketing team has in mind, but given the situation I'll be sure to discourage every friend in life and on the internet to ever have something to do with their brand.

My last play2 is 1 year old, and i bought the last spare part (a tuner) less than a month ago.
    They are still selling the hub, a device where not even Google play works, while they know they'll never care of fixing it.
    What a pity.
  • shadshad Posts: 98WeTek Community Member
    To be fair, I don't see any mention of Netflix on the current WeTek Air side (anymore). Not sure if there were any before. So they seem to have learned, but other than that, the only comment I have is:

Wow, what a disgrace on both: Play2 and no Netflix on the new device, even if it's a "yet". The whole "developers are working hard on the fixes of known issues" was nothing but plain lies apparently.
    shad said:

To be fair, I don't see any mention of Netflix on the current WeTek Air side (anymore). Not sure if there were any before. So they seem to have learned, but other than that, the only comment I have is:

Wow, what a disgrace on both: Play2 and no Netflix on the new device, even if it's a "yet". The whole "developers are working hard on the fixes of known issues" was nothing but plain lies apparently.

Yeah there are two words to describe them liars and cowards taking into accout that they were affraid to answer on crucial difficult questions
    Koli said:

shad said:

Yeah there are two words to describe them liars and cowards taking into accout that they were affraid to answer on crucial difficult questions
    @Koli

Not that I am a Liar or even a Coward, but is not my place to make such statement.
    As you can understand that is some communication that needs to be done in the proper channels, and not by a lowly employee that handles the Community forum.

Thrall said:

Not that I am a Liar or even a Coward, but is not my place to make such statement.

Let me remind you some answer provided in this topic by support team. Answer not from you but still support team
    Thrall said:

WeTek Play 2 will continue to receive support and updates. Yes, it is been a while since the last update and that is a lot of fixes that need to be solved. However, answers that support gives you are not silly but are in fact the information we have. We do fully understand your side, but for now, what I can tell you is that our team is indeed working to solve the major issues.

Latest message from social media "Unfortunately, the Play 2 and the Hub will no longer have further updates. Thank you for your understanding"

Now if you are not coward tell me who lies?
    Anima said:

As you can understand that is some communication that needs to be done in the proper channels, and not by a lowly employee that handles the Community forum.

But that is your company problem not our. BTW why then @Thrall provided info here some time ago that "WeTek Play 2 will continue to receive support and updates."?!
    @Koli

I understand your position, I really do.
    You feel disappointed, and have every reason to lash out, still, I get the feeling, that no matter what I say will change that and that is ok.

I can honestly say that no one lied in this subject.
    Back in April, we were still working on updates to WeTek Play 2 and Hub, and that was true at the time. But due to the AndroidTV certification, that work had to stop because we were legally bound.

edited November 23
    @Anima first, I'm sorry for the insults, even if I'm not the one who said them, i find them inappropriate and counter-productive.

I don't think you (wetek) are liars, but your support/marketing team surely lacked some transparency, when they decided not to tell their customers that support for play2/hub ended, letting users believe on your last word, the promise for a new update.
    I'm also sorry for the bad image that you (wetek) are making on the socials, in the posts announcing the new device, where lots of users are basically shouting at you the worst things (me too, to be honest).

I understand you (Anima) are just an employee that's forced into providing support to users on this forum (not so happily, i suppose), but I hope that you'll be able to somehow escalate the feelings of these users to the upper management, to make them understand.
    After being informed of all the hate from their previous customers, if they still don't get the message clear, maybe this really means they don't care about their customers, so they probably really don't deserve to have a loyal customer base at all.

tl;dr: dear wetek marketing team, if you still care about your previous customer, it's time to switch into damage control mode.

edited November 23
    I do not know who is in charge of the commercial strategy, but it is a complete disaster.

You have treated clients with the most absolute contempt. You promised premium support for a premium receiver and finally you have awarded us with lies and more lies.

You are not willing to invest a single cent to make functional a receiver that has not been two years in the market and has not worked well if you want the first.

You announced that you had the official netflix DRM and nextflix does not work.

You blame third parties when Wetv is your own application and you are not able to update it either.

Finally, you also do not want to release the code for the community to fix what you do not want to fix.

I have no facebook acount, so you can messure how many customer are in silence regretting.
  • AmmarAmmar Posts: 27WeTek Community Member
    I can't find any excuse for anyone from the technical support team in this forum, as an end consumer, I don't care about company policy or strategy and I shouldn't, I purchased a product claimed to be supported, although it is using almost the same hardware that used in other Chinese boxes like K2 pro and the only reasons of paying more money is technical support which is absent since the day I purchased.

If technical support team can't make any statement, and can't fix the reported issues as well I believe there is no use of them!

Off-topic, I believe wetek, as a company has too many internal issues or internal conflicts because of the way they are dealing with their customers and their own product, is amazing in a negative way!
    edited November 25
    So if wetek really cares about their customers, it is time to change from words to fact and starting to offer an exchange between wetek play2, that do not run netflix, Amazon video, defective wetv. Only if you do this, your PRESENT ( not past) customers would give a second chance. Otherwise they will feel totally scamed, as I feel to.
    edited November 26
    wetek7 said:

starting to offer an exchange between wetek play2

The only thing that saved my play2 from the trash bin is the ability to run coreelec.
    Given that the new device won't be able to do it, I'm not sure this would be a good trade.
    The amount of support the *elec guys are giving for free on s905 devices really puts wetek on shame.
    ctrlaltca said:

wetek7 said:

starting to offer an exchange between wetek play2

The only thing that saved my play2 from the trash bin is the ability to run coreelec.
    Given that the new device won't be able to do it, I'm not sure this would be a good trade.
    The amount of support the *elec guys are giving for free on s905 devices really puts wetek on shame.
    I'm in the same position. I run coreelec too and exchange for a new box that doesn't support dual boot wouldn't be for me great deal. Anyway no one from Wetek didn't make any offer so far. This silly company haven't done anything to calm down their customers by making any proposal for Wetek Play2 and Hub users. It's a bit awkward that we are trying to tell what Wetek in real should do to reward ignorence that they were offering us for last year and they still do. There is more than one solution to calm down customers. I can think about 4 options:

1. This obvious solution that all WP2 and Hub users expecting and truly desereved i.e. allocate few developers to FIX ALL problems reported realted to WP2 and reassure that support will be conituned for at least next 2 years.Personnally probably that would be the best option for me

2. Return all money back for WP2 or Hub

3. Offer free exchange of WP2/Hub to new box. Pesonally not the best option for me beacuse there is no support for dual boot in a new device.

4. Repleace faulty WeOS with certified AndroidTV for WP2. They mentioned that this won't be possible but if Google is so good partner for them as they show this in a social media then maybe someone from upper managment team should talk with Google about this and do exception for 2 existing devices. WP2 is no longer in stock so probably we are talking here about max few thousadns devices.

As I said this is a bit hilarious that we are suggesting strategy in place of company that supposed to make some reward for exsiting customers before new box release was released. Personally according to that how Wetek continue their stratregy for existing customers I don't belive they will offer anything but even if that will happen this should calm down people but bad smell will stay for long. The offer that Wetek suggested in a social media for existing customers was "buy a new device".
    ctrlaltca said:

(...) I understand you (Anima) are just an employee that's forced into providing support to users on this forum (not so happily, i suppose), but I hope that you'll be able to somehow escalate the feelings of these users to the upper management, to make them understand.

I have no problems in working on support, I'm happy to do it. However, and I understand I am the most "public face" related to wetek you guys have, I feel nothing that I say reaches your ears (not yours, specifically, but yours in general).

I have been escalating issues since forever, However, I have no say in the resolution of the problems, and just want to understand that.
    When I announced something new, when I give some date or news regarding our products, I simply write what I'm asked.
    And believe me, I do fight a lot for "you guys" to the extent I am able to.
    I always fought for updates for WP2 and Hub, even Play 1. So, when I received the news just a little before you did, I felt the same as you did.