WeTek Community Forum

[Addon] VNC Server for OpenELEC/LibreELEC on WeTek Play

kszaqkszaq Posts: 44WeTek Community Member
edited October 2016 in OpenELEC/LibreELEC (WP1)
Some time ago I needed to help out my parents with an OpenELEC box so I took Droid VNC Server and Dispmanx_VNC source code, added some magic and made it work for Amlogic boxes. Since a few people asked me to share it, here it is!

Downloads and source code: https://github.com/kszaq/my-addons/releases

How it works? After installation the VNC would automatically start and listen on port 5900 (standard VNC port). It will consume very little CPU resources listening for clients, so it is safe to leave it running even if you don't need it. The default password is openelec.

Current limitations:
  • No support for SSL at the moment
  • The screen is always downscaled by a factor of 2 to lower CPU usage
  • The screen refresh rate is rather low, also to keep CPU usage low
  • Keyboard input only, no mouse support
  • Downsamples the screen to RGB565
  • The source code style is ugly ;)
Of course I plan to improve it in the future but at the moment it serves my needs quite well.

Forks and pull requests are more than welcome!

Comments

• a1danslat3a1danslat3 Posts: 24WeTek Community Member
    Excellent add-on. Works excellent on my local network via openelec however I can't seem to connect remotely. How do you connect remotely ?
  • ozkaradagozkaradag Posts: 593WeTek Community Member
    Whoahhh, a super addon.

Thank you...
  • kszaqkszaq Posts: 44WeTek Community Member
    a1danslat3 wrote: »
    Excellent add-on. Works excellent on my local network via openelec however I can't seem to connect remotely. How do you connect remotely ?
    Since there is no support for setting up a password or enabling encryption for the service, I would recommend setting up a SSH tunnel or a VPN.
    Got it sorted mate. Forgot that I had changed my broadband router and set the wetek address as DMZ for now and it works great. This is my favourite add-on yet, great work buddy.
    a1danslat3 wrote: »
    Got it sorted mate. Forgot that I had changed my broadband router and set the wetek address as DMZ for now and it works great. This is my favourite add-on yet, great work buddy.
    You should not do it since your device is exposed to the outside world! There is a VNC server with no password, SSH with standard password, samba access to your storage... not a good idea at all! I would recommend at least disabling DMZ and setting up port forwarding. And I also recommend using a non-standard port if your router allows it.
    I've just uploaded an update which lets you configure the port the VNC server is listening on and enable password authentication. You can download it from https://github.com/kszaq/aml-vnc/releases/tag/4.3.2
    You are awesome mate.
  • adminadmin Posts: 144Administrator - WeTek Community Manager
    @kszaq

Excellent work :)
  • ozkaradagozkaradag Posts: 593WeTek Community Member
    Excellent...
  • H0nch0H0nch0 Posts: 210WeTek Community Member
    thanx for sharing is this working on latest official OpenElec for WeteK
    H0nch0 wrote: »
    thanx for sharing is this working on latest official OpenElec for WeteK
    It should be working with no issues.
  • hopfi2khopfi2k Posts: 16WeTek Community Member
    Thanks kszaq!

Using the latest release (4.3.2) gives me the following error message:
    ./bin/aml-vnc: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.27: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm using official OE 6 beta...

Cheers,
    Andy
  • H0nch0H0nch0 Posts: 210WeTek Community Member
    what are folk using to access this from windows or other devices ?
    hopfi2k wrote: »
    Thanks kszaq!

Using the latest release (4.3.2) gives me the following error message:
    ./bin/aml-vnc: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.27: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm using official OE 6 beta...

Cheers,
    Andy
    I have recompiled the plugin for Openelec 6.0 branch. Please try it now: https://github.com/kszaq/aml-vnc/releases/tag/4.3.2
  • dale094dale094 Posts: 115WeTek Community Member
    kszaq wrote: »
    I have recompiled the plugin for Openelec 6.0 branch. Please try it now: https://github.com/kszaq/aml-vnc/releases/tag/4.3.2

could you give more detail how to log in to box, is it from our PC and if so how to:. Thanks.
  • ZoomyZoomy Posts: 64WeTek Community Member
    Hi, i've just been searching for something like this since my uncle is having issues with his wetek play epg not loading after boot, so this will be handy for me to check on his box.

Am I correct in thinking to use this addon I simply tell him to download and install this from the github link, then forward a port on his router to his box, then I will have remote desktop access to his openelec system?
  • rjmsilvarjmsilva Posts: 42WeTek Community Member
    Zoomy wrote: »
    Hi, i've just been searching for something like this since my uncle is having issues with his wetek play epg not loading after boot, so this will be handy for me to check on his box.

To load the EPG after boot, you have to go to live tv options, select guide then unselect " don't allow updates during playback" and select "Don't cache in local database". It worked for me...
  • brettserbrettser Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    thanks for this - great for supporting remote devices with OpenVPN. Does anyone know if this would work with Prismcube too? x11vnc plugin doesn't work on Prismcube either.
    I support a few of these for family and it would some me the drive.
    Thanks Brettser​
  • CaptainHeroCaptainHero Posts: 7WeTek Community Member
    Hi There,

I recently installed your VNC server on my moms WeTek. I can access it with a VNC viewer such as RealVNC or Ultra VNC Viewer but the problem is i only see roughly 1/4 of the whole screen (top leftish area). I looked at the various settings on both viewer apps but neither had anything which allowed for a setting so that i could see the whole remote Kodi desktop.

Since i see that others in this thread don't seem to have reported this problem can someone please tell me what i need to do to be able to see the whole remote desktop?

Thank you!
    Bump.
    No one has had this issue who managed to install this VNC addon ?
  • hokuspokuzzhokuspokuzz Posts: 207WeTek Community Member
    no issues here so far. tried both 720 as well as 1080 p. regards

no issues here so far. tried both 720 as well as 1080 p. regards

Can you please share what VNC viewer you use then to connect to your WeTek and what special settings if any you use so that you see the whole of the remote screen? As mentioned neither Ultra VNC Viewer nor Real VNC Viewer work for me. Both only show the same roughly 1/4 of the remote screen.
    Also any other special settings (can't think of any as the setup is very minimalistic) on the addon itself under Kodi that i should know about?
  • hokuspokuzzhokuspokuzz Posts: 207WeTek Community Member
    Real VNC Viewer, no special settings, all default. kodi resolution 1080p x 50hz, but tried 720p too worked fine.
    Well i now have tryed to connect via Android Real VNC app and there i can see the whole screen fine. So it must be some sort of issue with the desktop clients. Anyway thanks for the replys. Worst case i'll just connect via android app then.
    Well i guess i was happy too soon. So without changing anything (neither server nor client side) all of a sudden i was able to see the whole desktop from both Android app Real VNC Viewer and also from PC Real VNC Viewer. This worked for a day or two and now again i only see 1/4 of the screen no matter from which platform app i connect.

I don't understand what could be causing this since the WeTek play machine which is the VNC server is not touched and nothing has changed on the client side of things either. I am lost :/
    Okay after futher trial and error experimenting i seem to have found a solution. So when the WeTek machine boots up something must not yet be correctly loaded as altough the aml-vnc service is started i end up with 1/4th of the screen visible.

If i kill the running aml-vnc process via SSH shell it imediately starts up again (as it should) but this time it seems to start with the correct settings as when i log in via viewer i now see the full desktop.

Hope this helps anyone who might encounter the same issue. Maybe this can be looked at and fixed for a future update.
    I uploaded a 7.0.2 version for people using latest development releases of OpenELEC. I have not tested it but it should work fine.
  • fantasticnfantasticn Posts: 7WeTek Community Member
    Yep. I can confirm it is working again. Thank you very much for the update! Since my Wetek Play is running headless (no Monitor, no Keyboard/Mouse/Remote) as a TVheadend-Server in my network I absolutely need your addon for remote administration.
  • fantasticnfantasticn Posts: 7WeTek Community Member
    Hi kszaq,

the vnc addon does not seem to work under LibreElec. Can you patch it?