WeTek Community Forum

Analog AV output

SeppSepp Posts: 12WeTek Community Member
I have problems getting the analog AV output of an OpenELEC Box to work as expected.

I have the original "long TRRS" WETEK cable connected to a CRT tv. When I power on the box, I can see a nice WETEK splash screen for a couple of seconds, everthing's fine so far.

But after the splash screen, it seems that the box switches to a different mode and all I can see are bright lines rushing over a black screen. I can hear audio though and I can see that the pattern of the rushing lines changes with the tv program.

So, please: How can I get the analog AV output to deliver a normal color tv picture?

Comments

• SeppSepp Posts: 12WeTek Community Member
    Here I found people reporting the same problem:

http://openelec.tv/forum/146-wetek-play/78362-cvbs-output

I can confirm exactly that behaviour:

When I do "echo "576cvbs" > /sys/class/display/mode", I get a nice picture in good quality, but only the left upper corner, since the resolution KODI thinks it shall provide stays 1280x720. :-(

This is not a solution!

How can I change the resolution in KODI, i.e. force KODI to use the right resolution?

Under System -> Settings -> Video output the point "Resolution" is just greyed out and not changeable.

• NE0NE0 Posts: 808WeTek Community Member
    At the moment it's not possible to use the analogue A/V output on OpenELEC. Most probably a patch in KODI might get the proper video output but at this point it's not possible nor supported.
    Oh! Is it a KODI issue or an OpenELEC issue?

Is there already a issue opened in a bug tracker of KODI and/or OpenELEC? (Link?)

It would be a pity if the next release of OpenELEC would not solve the problem, just because noone opened a bug ticket in the appropiate bug tracker.

My friends and me just ordered 13 boxes, mainly to update old CRT TV sets! Now most of the boxes can't be used without additional expensive hardware :-(
  • NE0NE0 Posts: 808WeTek Community Member
    [USER="15"]codesnake[/USER]

Can you provide a test build, so they don't have to install OE 5.0.6?
    Ok, no test build from codesnake up to now.

Well, don't bother.

With the patch from here:

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/4502

I was able to build an OpenELEC 6.0.0 version with CVBS analog AV support which works ok except for the second splash screen.

So with this build, it IS possible to use the analog AV output during normal operation.

For all the others out there who would like to use this feature: I'm willing to upload the update image, if someone could provide some webspace for it.

I really hope that this patch will find it's way into the next OpenELEC major release, or even the next maintenance release.

For all you out there who are also missing analog AV output: Go to Github, there is a bug tracker, join the discussion!!!

Merry Christmas.
  • HWTestHWTest Posts: 127WeTek Community Member
    You can use a service like http://ulozto.net/
    Yes, sir! icon_e_biggrin.gif

You can find an update image for WeTek OpenELEC 6.0.0 with CVBS analogue output support here:

http://ulozto.net/xe5i15Ar/openelec-wetek-play-arm-6-0-devel-20151222130926-r21630-gba32c43-tar

Usage:
    1) Copy the file to /storage/.update
    2) since you're already there: go to /storage/.kodi/userdata/ and create a file "fallback_cap" with the content "576cvbs". For example, you can do this by typing: echo "576cvbs" > /storage/.kodi/userdata/fallback_cap
    3) reboot your box. This will update the OpenELEC image, so give it time and don't interrupt the process!
    4) Now, the box should go to 576cvbs mode when there is no HDMI monitor connected. Of course, you can't use the HDMI and the CVBS output at the same time.

Disclaimer: WARNING: This is experimental and unsupported. Use at your own risk. If you brick your box, your house burns down, your wife leaves you, well, I warned you.
  • tweevicktweevick Posts: 11WeTek Community Member
    Thanks a lot, it worked for me BUT, image quality is poor.
    I have an old emtec Q800 box with the firmware http://www.mhdworld.de/fr/featurelist.html.
    AV anolog output has better image quality, but no TNT HD.
    http://www.homecine-compare.com/lecteur-EMTMCQ8001TO-EMTEC-Movie-Cube-Q800-1-To.htm

it seems the wetek box slows down in analog output
    OR the wetek tuner is not optimized.

Two boxes are connected alternatively with the same antenna.

Should I buy an HDMI to analog output and/or buy an antenna amplifier?
    Hi tweevick,

sorry to hear that.

I can only tell from my own, personal experience:

For me, I was amazed of the good quality of the CVBS output of the WeTek box. It's definitely much better than the CVBS output of a Raspberry Pi. I used it with two old CRT TV sets up to now, and both showed a much better picture quality than when watching analog TV with the internal tuner. I was really, REALLY surprised how good the picture of a CRT screen could look like.

Before all that stuff was working, I was also using different HDMI-to-CVBS converters (for example Liwago, best quality in my experience). Not only for the WeTek box, but also for the Raspberry Pis.
    I can tell you: For the WeTek box, the difference of picture quality is not worth the hassle of buying a (quite expensive) converter, having an addition box with a lot of cables lying around, ... The CVBS output of the box is really fine! For the Raspberry Pi in contrast, I would buy a converter.

Also, I have not experienced any slow down just because I switched to CVBS.

What kind of transmission standard do you use? DVB-C, DVB-T or DVB-S? I only use DVB-C.
    For that I use tvheadend, not that VDR thing. I had constantly problems with VDR, so I switched to tvheadend and everything works quite smooth. In the webinterface of tvheadend, you can have a look at the BER, signal quality and all these things. If you have a bad signal, you should see it there immediately. If the error correction is heavily working, this could explain your box slow down.

Greetings!
    Oh wait!

Where are you from? France? In France, they have SECAM, not PAL, right? If so: Sorry, I'm living in the PAL world. I have no way to test SECAM and haven't stumbled over anything in the code hinting on SECAM support. On the other hand: Beside PAL, my image should in theory also support NTSC, but that is untested, too.
    Sepp wrote: »
    Oh wait!

Where are you from? France? In France, they have SECAM, not PAL, right? If so: Sorry, I'm living in the PAL world. I have no way to test SECAM and haven't stumbled over anything in the code hinting on SECAM support. On the other hand: Beside PAL, my image should in theory also support NTSC, but that is untested, too.

I changed scart adapter and it works fine now. I have an old Sony wich can handle the signal pal

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1039 met Tapatalk

Since WeTek is still doing false advertising and not bothering about a non-funtional AV output at all, the community still has to take care about this on its own.

So, here I provide you an updated OpenELEC 6.0.3 build with the above described features, terms and conditions, which will let you use your AV output:

http://ulozto.net/xJ2zpGAC/openelec-wetek-play-arm-6-0-3-cvbs-tar

If you would like to see your hardware work as advertised with stock firmware and not only with poorly maintained community builds (namely mine ;-), go to Github issue tracker and join the bug report:

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/4502
  • HWTestHWTest Posts: 127WeTek Community Member
    Thank you.
    Thanks,

It worked perfectly
  • JosepJosep Posts: 42WeTek Community Member
    Do you know if it works with Wetek Core too??
    Sorry if question is absurd, i don't know how to begin to get AV out for CVBS.
  • AnimaAnima Posts: 1,988WeTek Support Team
    Hello @Josep

This is a build for Wetek Play, it won't work on the core as its a different build from the Core.

Best regards

:( :(
    Thanks a lot, any question solved.
    Do you now if openelec 6.0.3 is avalable for Core, in this case, is it working with AV out. Now i cannot use Core becouse AV out don't work, or i don't know how habilitate it.
    :(
    Hello I only have a Wetek Openelec Box (amber lights), AV out works perfectly
    Hello @Josep

No, 6.0.3 is only available for the wetek play.

Openelec 6.95.1[BETA] is the official release for the Core.

Best regards

Hi tweevick,
    Wetek Openelec Box? In Wetek shop i only see Core or play?
    Which hard do you have? And if you have core, how must i operate to change to Openelec?
    Any link, please.
    I've bought a micro SDHC 32GB card.
    i've have Core and TRRS jack cable to cvbs from wetek internet shoop.
    Android of core don't activate AV out, is it correct? I only see black screen on TV with AV out.
    If it is your case i'll try to fit your instruccions and i'll migrate to OPENELEC.
    WAITTING fou new notices from you, thanks.
  • MC117MC117 Posts: 3,707Administrator - WeTek Community Manager
    Josep, the AV cable that's on WeTek Shop is for WeTek Play:

WeTek Core uses a regular AV cable, and it's working with 576cbvs or 420cbvs

Best regards

Blue leds ,->wetek play
    Amber leds -> weten openelec special edition

http://openelec.tv/openelec-box
  • KunftKunft Posts: 25WeTek Community Member
    @Sepp

I did tried your image, but i don't have image, only sound on AV output

I'm able to have image if i type the echo command on ssh console:

But the image is a big square from the top left corner...

Any advice on this?
  • sleepingkarmasleepingkarma Posts: 104WeTek Community Member
    Kunft said:

@Sepp

I did tried your image, but i don't have image, only sound on AV output

I'm able to have image if i type the echo command on ssh console:

But the image is a big square from the top left corner...

Any advice on this?

the same here.
    there is any enigma image that supports av?
    Hello @sleepingkarma

I'm afraid none of the existing enigma2 images supports A/V.

Best regards

I'm sorry about be saying " AV out of Core does not work "

It was because i used incorrect AV cable.

My sugestion is: Please indicate wich is apropiate cable for Wetek Core like you had done with WeTek Play.
    http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/images/av-pinouts-zune.jpg
    as you can see, there are a lot of similar cable with different configuration.

• snafusnafu Posts: 7WeTek Community Member
    Hi,
    I've currently got the problem that my Wetek.openelec box (wetek play special edition) does not output analog video. I connected it using my camcorder cable which has a pinout according to the camcorder configuration in the picture that Josep pasted in the post above mine. So I'm guessing that the pinout has to be as in the first configuration where ground is on the first pin since changing the leads doesn't give me any video either. Can anybody confirm this?
  • lama0900lama0900 Posts: 138WeTek Community Member
    edited May 2016
    @snafu
    Is your plug 17.5mm long? Otherwise it won't work. Even if the pinout would be correct.
  • snafusnafu Posts: 7WeTek Community Member
    Hm.. the whole metal part is 16 mm.
    You need the infamous "long TRRS" cable. Normal TRRS won't work. And even if you have this, the official software does not support analogue output. You need the unofficial community firmware which is linked earlier in this thread.